ILP block (add-on)

Picture of Esh Nagappan
ILP support for Moodle 2.0 ?

Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone has tried successfully installing the ILP module for Moodle2.0?

--
Esh

Average of ratings: -
Picture of James Ballard
Re: ILP support for Moodle 2.0 ?
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Esh

It is not currently supported, although this has been scheduled and will be available. Current plan is that as soon as Moodle 2.0 goes into BETA we will begin the upgrade. We are already developing other modules within 2.0 and so do not see this as a significant task. At the moment we are still finishing off changes to the core module before switching to 2.0. We will then begin looking at what new functionality the modules can make use of.

Yours
James

Picture of Geoffrey Rowland
Hi James

With Moodle 2.0 due in mid July and Preview 1 just released, are you still on track with development of a Moodle 2.0 version of the ILP module?

I ask because our deployment of the ILP module over this year has been a great success, so we won't be upgrading Moodle without it. I suspect others will be in the same position.

Of course, we'll be more than happy to test, and feedback on, any initial releases on our Moodle development server.

Thanks for a great module

Geoff

Picture of James Ballard
Hi Geoff,

As you may be aware the ILP is central to our Personalisation of Learning Framework, and ULCC is committed to maintaining the community version with an upgrade to Moodle 2.0 and beyond.

We have already developed an emulator for our modules that allow them to run on 1.9 and 2.0 without the need to manage different code bases and we plan to update the ILP with this over the Summer (probably July).

Further down the line we also plan a review and update of the ILP with an eye on improving the functionality and merging a few related projects into one, particularly in relation to reporting. This is likely to be released early 2011, and will be specific to Moodle 2.0 and the additional affordances this has.

Yours
James

Hi James

Thanks for your informative response. Much of our local tweaking of the ILP code has focused on report generation, so we can fully appreciate the rationale for further development in this direction.

Also pleased that this leaves open the possibility of a relatively early upgrade to Moodle 2.0 with the ILP module + emulator. Are you anticipating building in an upgrade route from this to the refactored, Moodle 2.0-specific code?

Regards

Geoff

Picture of Chardelle Busch
Group Developers
Hi James,

Do you have a 2.0 version available for testing?

Thanks,

Chardelle

Picture of James Ballard
We are currently working on this. We have been making some changes to the 1.9 version to implement new learner and tutor dashboards. We are finalising for the current UK academic year (tutor reviews begin in Oct 2010). These are nearly complete and then we will begin upgrading to Moodle 2.0 version.

We are not expecting too many difficulties with this as a number of our other modules are already upgraded successfully to Moodle 2.0.

I will post here as soon as we have some more news over the next couple of weeks..

Yours
James

Picture of David Challoner

I do hate pestering, but I am trying to ensure that we can move smoothly from moodle 1.9 to moodle 2.0 and am currently working on themes etc.

Have you managed to get any further with this yet?

Picture of James Ballard

Hi David,

The ILP tends to inherit the Moodle theme in use, apart from a few self-contained design elements. While we are working on a Moodle 2.0 release this should not delay planning or implementing a Moodle 2.0 theme.

Yours

James

Colin Dixon BSc DipEd

Hi I have just installed Moodle 2.0 a new site and added the IPL module, It is not showing does that mean it does not work for 2.0 yet?

Colin Dixon BSc DipEd

Still no news on version for Moodle 2 ? can anyone advise please?

Picture of Clare Wallace
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holders

May I say that the ILP module is, in my opinon, a fantastic module and I really hope that we will be able to use it with Moodle 2. So with that in mind may I add my voice to this request?

Many thanks

Clare

Picture of James Ballard

Hi all,

Our current schedule is based on UK academic year where the ILP is lower priority in a list of things ULCC are working on with Moodle 2.0 for our upgrade process. We expect to have a working version, with upgrade path, by the end of March.

We also have discussing/specifying a re-write of the modules planned to significantly enhance the functionality of the modules and enable more flexible use of the system. This is expected to be incorporated into the Moodle 2.0 version by the Summer for September 2011.

We apologise for any inconvenience this causes in upgrading your own sites.

Yours

James

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Mark Johnson
Group Developers

Hi James,

Thanks for keeping us up to date so far.  Would you be able to let us know the current status of the Moodle 2.0 version?  I'm currently working on my instution's upgrade so it'd be handy to know when we're likely to see the release.

Many Thanks
Mark

Picture of James Ballard

We're about half-way through and starting to look at testing the migration.

End of May is for the internal release with community version to follow as soon as testing is complete.

Picture of Mark Johnson
Group Developers

Great news, that really helps my plans. Thanks!

Picture of James Ballard

ILP2.0 is working in Dev environment and in final stages of tweaking.

I'll try to post a bt more on the rational behind this shortly as some parts have undergone a radical overhaul.

We hope that you'll enjoy these changes.

Picture of Jamey Barber

Blessings on thee for all your efforts and listning to our pestering.  I am THRILLED that I will be able to use ILP in 2.0.  ILP is one of the central modules needed for my Master's Thesis on metacognition.

Jamey

Picture of Mark Johnson
Group Developers

Hi again James,

Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but do you have a planned release date, even if it's just for a "developer preview"?  As part of my Moodle 2 upgrade plan I'm very keen to see what shape the "radical overhaul" has taken and what (if anything) is going to be involved in getting it working the way we currently use it.  We're planning to upgrade as soon as possible after the end of the summer term and the PLP is the last third party module we're waiting on, so the sooner we can see it, the better smile

Even if you can only tell us what the changes are at the moment, it would be a big help.

As an incentive I promise to file lots of bugs and contribute back any fixes!

Picture of James Ballard

Release candidate is expected internally here next week - did first demo today with BETA version which is already undergoing testing.

What would be useful in exchange for early access to testing would be some help with the documentation for Moodle Docs on how to configure and use the new report interfaces. I always find myself on the next round of developments before documenting the last one!

Yours

James

Picture of Mark Johnson
Group Developers

Hi James,

I'd be more than happy to write some Docs for the the new interfaces. Please PM or email me with the details, which areas need documenting and any other technical info I should know.

Cheers
Mark

Seconded!

I'll be more than happy to trade some documentation for some code wink

Picture of simon beasley

any further updates on the moodle 2 version?

Picture of Adam H

Any news on this module yet? We upgraded to Moodle 2 this summer (in my opinion it was probably a little to early to do so :/)... But we would love to be able to carry on supporting the ILP function on our Moodle.

Regards

Adam

Picture of Volker Lührssen

If there's no update - does anyone know an alternative plugin?

Picture of James Ballard

We are currently working on getting this from SVN to GIT to make it publicly available.

Hopefully should be release some time this week.

Wahooo!! big grin

Picture of Paul McKillop

Excellenct news. Thanks

Picture of James Ballard

The migration is proving trickier to achieve than expected. Our SVN is password protected which is making it complicated to import to GIT. We will be configuring SVN to be public and then transferring to GIT some time next week (basically as soon as we can). We'd like to thank everything for their patience.

This is a significant 6 month rewrite of the ILP with entirely new database structure and plug-in interface.

Key changes for users are:

• In-built form builder - design your ILP similar to the feedback module with specific ILP fields and making use of drop-down menus, radio buttons, alongside traditional text entry;
  • Progress bars for tracking target achievements;
  • Integrate with gradebook using additional grade tracker plug-in;
  • Possible to have unlimited number of reports (e.g. more than 4);
  • Improved role and capability matrix to map roles to individual reports;
  • In-built MIS configuration if you want to pull in attendance and other data from an external system;
  • Tabbed interface to navigation to improve usability;
  • Archive tab to view data from 1.9 version.

Key changes for developers:

• Easy plug-in architecture to extend functionality. Design your own form fields, display tabs, MIS displays without needing to change core code. All features of the new version act as extensible plug-ins.

Hope to be able to give people access a.s.a.p. to start using and give us feedback and hopefully develop some further plug-ins

Ideas on our roadmap:

• Improved reporting interfaces for managers;
  • Self-assessment templates for students;
  • Different ILP for different users;
  • Grpahical/visual display plug-ins;
  • Timeline and chronoligcal view of ILP

Picture of James Ballard

And for those not yet jumping to Moodle 2.0, the new ILP will also work on 1.9 using the in-built emulator functions.

Hi James

This is looking to be well worth the wait! 

I'm sure switch to Git will also be really useful.

From the new feature 'Archive tab to view data from 1.9 version.' can I assume the new version will install alongside the old version in Moodle 1.9. Will be really handy if it can.

Cheers

Geoff

Picture of Stuart Milligan

Hi James,

Can you give me an update on the release date please?

Thanks mate,

Stuart

Not me

Any news on a release date?

Picture of James Ballard

Current estimate is Friday 14th 

Test migration from SVN to GIT completed but now out of sync:

https://github.com/ULCC

Picture of Leonard Houx

Any joy yet? This link requires a login/password.

Picture of Roger Crombleholme

Deserately waiting for the ILP module for Moodle 2.0. I keep looking at this thread... is there any update on progress or timesclaes for delivery.

Thanks

Picture of James Ballard

We're expecting an imminent release - I'm just running final things through marketing. 

It's taken a little longer to get into GIT correctly and had some minor issues on existing sites using the ILP that needed resolution. 

There is an event on 25th November at which the launch is expected to be announced so I am hoping we release some time this week to coincide with this.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of imketu p

hello James

Any links to new ILP for moodle 2.1.2. or still in development.

I have download module from Activity Module: Individual Learning Plan (ILP)

Download latest version

but i think that is not for moodle 2.1.2. It gives error message to click on  Notifications modulename and out dated.

Readme file claim Build date: Wed Nov 30 09:20:16 WST 2011 that  confusing to me.

Picture of Manpreet Sambhi

I would also love to see the ILP for moodle 2.0

Picture of imketu p

hi all

and thanks to Mr. James Ballard and ULCC.

here is the link for new ILP 2.0

http://elblog.ulcc.ac.uk

Picture of Leonard Houx

It appears there is no installation documentation yet, which would be very appreciated.

Picture of Stuart Frankland

I tried the github zip version this morning but notification generates the following error:

Parse error: parse error in C:\ZIP EXTRACTION\MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-20\server\moodle\blocks\ilp\classes\form_elements\ilp_element_plugin.php on line 394

the line in question shows }  which would suggest the brace is not paired Any one any ideas?

Picture of Roland Sherwood

Yes, I'm experiencing problems also. Using the .zip version from github on a fresh install of 2.2 with MySQL, it just stalls after clicking upgrade.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Haven't tried it on a windows server which you appear to be using, but have installed it no problem on Linux XAMPP test set up

Richard

Picture of Stuart Frankland

Just clean installed 2.1+ and my error has changed to

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PUBLIC in C:\ZIP EXTRACTION\MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-21\server\moodle\blocks\ilp\classes\form_elements\ilp_element_plugin.php on line 394

Picture of Matthew Anguige

I would suggest trying a previous version of the PLP block, the latest commit on GitHub broke my 2.1 install too.

The best combination I have had so far is with Moodle 2.1+ & ILP 2.0 (1st December commit).

I installed it on a clean Moodle2.2 about Tuesday of last week (6th December) and haven't experienced any issues with the installation - I haven't had chance to do any major testing yet, but the installation went smoothly and I can access the block with no problem.

(Linux -Mint12, Apache, MySQL, phpMyAdmin testing environment on a localhost)

Keen to find out what this issue is as I will soon be moving my sandbox onto a Windows development server (although I prefer working on Linux the college servers are Windows based - hennce the need for a Windows dev server) and PLP is one of the areas that staff are really anxious to have on the system.

Richard

Picture of Mark B

I too had the same issue as Roland did with the 6th December release using Moodle 2.2 (although i never got as much debug info as he did, just said ilp_block and then white screen). Whenever i loaded up the Moodle homepage after i first pressed "upgrade", it just showed as a white screen.  I put the 1st December release on as somebody had suggested and it appeared to install ok and not bring the "to be installed" message up everytime i go to home as Admin until i pressed update (which did nothing and as some said, broke the site).

Quite what the 6th December does different to the 1st December release i do not know but i have got this shown in my blocks now.  What version did you get working with 2.2 Richard? 

EDIT

Ok i have tried testing the 1st December release on 2.2 and it just says no report permissions when you try to set the ilp block up, i've not figured how to get around it but the second you save the settings your Moodle then stops working again.  Perhaps if anybody got the 6th December version working with 2.2 it may resolve this so feedback will be interesting.

Mark

I'd got past the installation issues that others had found, I believe the build is 2011101103 (from the ilp_settings.class.php) and the block appeared on the notifications page and installed with no issues reported through the installation. I was able to add the block to a course page and view the student groups. That was as far as I'd got when i posted originally - but it seemed to answer the installation problems people were having with different versions of the block and of Moodle2.x

But on further testing this week, before transferring it from my local host sandbox to our proper development server for proper testing, I'm now finding issues with it in use e.g.- Error writing to database when setting up reports (although when I go back in to the page having been kicked back out to the site home page after the error, the report is there - but without the field I was trying to add) and with debugging enabled I'm also getting page layout errors as below.

Invalid page layout specified: ilp

line 1079 of /lib/outputlib.php: call to debugging()
    line 1127 of /lib/outputlib.php: call to theme_config->layout_info_for_page()
    line 1261 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to theme_config->pagelayout_options()
    line 1352 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to moodle_page->initialise_theme_and_output()
    line 17 of /blocks/ilp/views/view_studentlist.html: call to bootstrap_renderer->__call()
    line 17 of /blocks/ilp/views/view_studentlist.html: call to bootstrap_renderer->header()
    line 142 of /blocks/ilp/actions/view_studentlist.php: call to require_once()

line 1142 of /lib/outputlib.php: call to theme_config->layout_info_for_page()
    line 1264 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to theme_config->setup_blocks()
    line 1352 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to moodle_page->initialise_theme_and_output()
    line 17 of /blocks/ilp/views/view_studentlist.html: call to bootstrap_renderer->__call()
    line 17 of /blocks/ilp/views/view_studentlist.html: call to bootstrap_renderer->header()

line 1096 of /lib/outputlib.php: call to theme_config->layout_info_for_page()
    line 635 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to theme_config->layout_file()
    line ? of unknownfile: call to core_renderer->header()
    line 1353 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to call_user_func_array()

I'm hoping to finish what I'm currently working on and take a closer look at this over the Christmas break. I'm hoping that, as it seems to have been working previously (based on the original reports and previous links) that these are just some relatively minor issues with conflicts caused by upgrades to 2.1 or 2.2 from 2.0 mixed

Richard

Picture of Mark B

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the testing, i have also noticed that some slight different versions will work and others just leave you with the white screen.  As i say though, the version that did work for me highlighted that i did not have permission to create activity reports when infact i was admin and have permissions to do anything.  I never got as far as you with it, it seemed to give me database errors about reports and nothing i could do with it.

If you do get it working with 2.2, do you think that you could send me a copy over?  I have contacted the devs to see if they are experiencing any errors with it as i would very much like to enabling ILP's for learners to be done electronically.  This seems to be the best tool to use for such thing.

Mark

I agree Mark. Its definitely something a number of the staff here are keen to be using and so I want in the system when we upgrade to 2.x

Sure, If I get any solutions over the break (or after!) I'll definitely post them here for the community

Picture of James Ballard

Hi Richard 

The page format is easily fixed in your theme.

Add the following to your $THEME->layouts array in /mytheme/config.php

'ilp' => array(
'file' => 'general.php',
'regions' => array(),
),

The purpose of this is to allow you to defined the specific layout of the ILP page more generally if you need to.

Picture of James Ballard

I've pushed some more changes to the release that have been applied as part of ur roll-outs. These may resolve particular installations issues attached to the ILP.

We are having intermittment difficulties with 1.9 sites but is working fine on Moodle 2.0.x and 2.1.x on our Linux environments.

Yours

James

Picture of Mark B

Hi James,

Thanks for the hard work and getting back, i have tried the update out from both 13th and 15th December commit and it still refuses to install on Moodle 2.2. I have the to be installed message showing just before install once i put the new block into the block folder and hit refresh on the Moodle home page.

When i pressed update to install ilp i got an internal server error and got told that moodle was updating everytime i went back to my home page until after 5minutes i got the white screen again.  I am sure you will get this issue sorted soon but i will remove the ilp plugin and try again once another release is out working with 2.2.

The idea is excellent and will be magnificent if this ends up working fully without the errors we are receiving. Keep us posted very much about new minor updates as one just may fix the issue.

Mark

Hi James,

Thanks for the updates, that'll be very useful

@Mark and James,

I'm actually off for the day tomorrow but plan on taking my localhost install home and will try this over the weekend before hopefully pushing it to our development server Monday/Tuesday of next week.

My localhost is Linux based, while our devserver is Windows - and while I don't anticipate any difference between the two, I shall report back on how I've got on with James' new fixes and Moodle2.2 as soon as I can.

Richard

OK - latest on testing so far:

I've made a clean install of Moodle2.2 on my localhost and installed ILP from the ULCC-moodle-block_ilp-ef2b975.zip

It seems to install fine, but when I get to trying to set up a report I get the following error with Developer debugging enabled.

Debug info: Table 'mdl22.mdl_block_ilp_report_field' doesn't exist
SELECT *
FROM mdl_block_ilp_report_field
WHERE label = ""
AND report_id = 1
[array (
)]
Stack trace:

line 394 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
    line 809 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
    line 2150 of /blocks/ilp/db/ilp_db.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
    line ? of unknownfile: call to ilp_db_functions->label_exists()
    line 50 of /blocks/ilp/db/ilp_db.php: call to call_user_func_array()
    line 138 of /blocks/ilp/classes/form_elements/ilp_element_plugin_mform.php: call to ilp_db->__call()
    line 138 of /blocks/ilp/classes/form_elements/ilp_element_plugin_mform.php: call to ilp_db->label_exists()
    line 499 of /lib/formslib.php: call to ilp_element_plugin_mform->validation()
    line 448 of /lib/formslib.php: call to moodleform->validate_defined_fields()
    line 214 of /blocks/ilp/classes/form_elements/ilp_element_plugin.php: call to moodleform->is_validated()
    line 102 of /blocks/ilp/actions/edit_field.php: call to ilp_element_plugin->edit()

Output buffer: Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): Access denied for user 'www-data'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /var/www/moodle22/blocks/ilp/db/ilp_db.php on line 2134 Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): A link to the server could not be established in /var/www/moodle22/blocks/ilp/db/ilp_db.php on line 2134

My database has the prefix mdl22_ for the tables and uses a named user with password to access all of which I have added into the database part of the ilp settings page - having originally left these blank assuming that ilp would pick up the settings from moodle's config file

The previous error with layout files was cured by the addition of an ilp reference in the layout array of the config.php in my theme (for now I've just pointed it at general.php)

Richard

Update to the above post - Manually editing line 2145 to alter the table prefix in the $sql corrects the problem - but shouldn't this be picked up automatically?

That just leaves the Output buffer warning on my linux local host.

However, when i installed on the Windows development server - again there appear to be no errors reported on install, but this time when i try to go to the report setup page (in fact any of the configuration pages in the ILP plugin) I am just left with a blank white screen - no error reports and no content on the page, just a blank white browser page.

Richard

Picture of Mark B

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the testing.  So does this mean that with that bit of editing you mentioned the ILP will work on a linux environment if i use a fresh installation of 2.2? 

I guess it is just the windows version which has the white screen issue.  Perhaps James can look at your ammendments and include them in a future update, this is great if it is now working on linux environment.  Just let me know any testing you manage and i will test on 2.2 too and post results.

Mark

Well, i certainly haven't finished testing, but as far as I've got I would say its definitely looking good for a linux server - a couple of minor edits and I still have a couple of errors reported with developer mode debugging on, but none of them seem to stop it working, so I would say its definitely worth putting onto a testing environment to take a look at and to make those edits ready to put it on your production system.

I would say with the small look I've had so far that it is a major update from what I saw of the 1.9 version, a much bigger project that looks as if it may take more setting up but will have an incredible amount of built in reporting power - Credit to the development team! Now just to get those minor bugs sorted (oh and getting it going on Windows server too smile )

My only problem is that although this would be a major feature for the updated system, it is not the only major feature and currently ranks about 3rd or 4th in the priority list I've been set, so I'm trying to look at it, between doing other things as well. But I will continue testing and posting so that I can pass as much info on to James and anyone else who can help with more testing and feedback to get this plugin 100% on everyone's systems, Linux/Windows.

Richard

Thanks for the update!

I have successfully got the latest commit working with Moodle 2.2.

Got a few errors here and there but everything seems to be working okay, I will do a bit more testing over the next few days and see what's up.

Picture of Mark B

Hi there,

Ok so i have put the latest commit onto my server and it has gone on ok on the localhost only for now.  Do i just type in the database settings from the main config.php file like you did into the settings once the block is installed?  I looked at the file you edited but i never saw in there where i could add in the database name and password, just seemed to be changing the table name.

If either of you can tell me what you did exactly to get it working then that would be great as currently i still get the "no permission" error when i click on "report configuration selection".

Thanks

Mark

EDIT

Here is what i am seeing:

block_ilp/incorrectcreatereportpermissions

More information about this error

Stack trace:
  • line 435 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 31 of \blocks\ilp\db\admin_accesscheck.php: call to print_error()
  • line 39 of \blocks\ilp\admin_actions_includes.php: call to require_once()
  • line 22 of \blocks\ilp\actions\edit_report_configuration.php: call to require_once()
Output buffer: <div class="notifytiny">Capability "block/ilp:creeddelreport" was not found! This has to be fixed in code.<ul style="text-align: left"><li>line 370 of \lib\accesslib.php: call to debugging()</li><li>line 30 of \blocks\ilp\db\admin_accesscheck.php: call to has_capability()</li><li>line 39 of \blocks\ilp\admin_actions_includes.php: call to require_once()</li><li>line 22 of \blocks\ilp\actions\edit_report_configuration.php: call to require_once()</li></ul></div>

Hi Mark,

The alteration I made was to change the table name, as you said - the code seems to be specifiying the table name with the normal moodle default prefix (mdl_) but my localhost has mdl22_ as its table prefix because of having a number of other installations on the same computer (they are on different databases, but I find it easier to to have the version on the table prefix as well!) The code does seem to be picking up the database name etc. correctly.

I am not seeing the permissions error you are getting - I am logged onto my localhost as admin, with the default permissions for all user groups. I haven't yet tried it out as a teacher as those test users are on the development server - which is Windows and which currently isn't working. But you should be able to get around the permissions error by altering the permissions for the role you are using (if its not admin) for the ilp block in the Roles section of the site admin pages.

@Matthew - can you give us some more details of your system and what testing you have done so far to help replicate getting this working correctly smile

Richard

Hi Richard,

Here's what I'm using;

• MAMP PRO 2.0.5 (Apache 2.2.21, PHP 5.3.6, MySQL 5.5.9).
  • Moodle 2.2.
  • ILP 2.0 (13th Dec).
  • Added "ilp" into my theme's config.php (As suggested by James).
  • Created a secondary database, with basic table structures which match the default values in ILP's configuration pages. (See attached).

That's all I've done so far, everything looks okay at the minute. A couple of debugging problems here and there, but nothing serious.

Picture of Mark B

Ok guys still looks like a no no for me.  I have been trying on my localhost on a windows machine and still get the following error even though i allowed a manager to control just about everything on the system.  You also cannot change/assign role options for changing ILP block settings as specific...just settings for blocks in general which i have done and still won't shift the following when i click on "report configuration selection" within the block settings. Any other ideas?

block_ilp/incorrectcreatereportpermissions

More information about this error

Stack trace:
  • line 435 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 31 of \blocks\ilp\db\admin_accesscheck.php: call to print_error()
  • line 39 of \blocks\ilp\admin_actions_includes.php: call to require_once()
  • line 22 of \blocks\ilp\actions\edit_report_configuration.php: call to require_once()
Output buffer: <div class="notifytiny">Capability "block/ilp:creeddelreport" was not found! This has to be fixed in code.<ul style="text-align: left"><li>line 370 of \lib\accesslib.php: call to debugging()</li><li>line 30 of \blocks\ilp\db\admin_accesscheck.php: call to has_capability()</li><li>line 39 of \blocks\ilp\admin_actions_includes.php: call to require_once()</li><li>line 22 of \blocks\ilp\actions\edit_report_configuration.php: call to require_once()</li></ul></div>

Also i think i may need to request more php memory from my hosting provider as it seems to not install properly on my linux based server, i just get a white screen after install and not too sure why.

It seems daft having to set up a second database just to keep this block happy for use...surely they must be a way now that various people have tested it to get it working...perhaps you'll now include something in your next commit James to accomplish ok installation on 2.2 without the errors we are receiving?

Many thanks,

Mark

Well,

I've taken another look at this over the holidays, and I still can't get it to work properly sad

Like you Mark, I really don't want to start getting into the business of having to set up a new database for a module - I want everything to run from Moodle's own database (besides which on my own hosted site I'd have to pay considerably more to add another database)

I've got it working, with some errors - but working enough that I could probably try to work gradually through those problems - on my localhost linux environment. But I still can't get it installed at all on my college development server, which (unfortunately) is Windows based. I can't even get any errors up to start finding out what the issue is.

This is going to cause significant issues with some of our staff and may even result in having to maintain a 1.9 install for some modules who are already using ILP - although the logisitics of that when a whole college move to Moodle2 is planned don't really bear thinking about sad

Help please anyone?

Richard

Picture of Tony Barry

I have it running on a Windows machine, MySQL and Moodle 2.2. I also get some errors on some pages but most function without error.

My problem is I have not used ILP 1.9 so I am not that familiar with what ILP can or should do. If you could send me details on how to set up a students ILP with basic goal seting etc and I am happy to test and share my findngs.

Ambitiously or stupidly I hope to try and run ILP on a Windows machine using MSSQL and Moodle 2.2

Guidance appreciated.

Picture of James Ballard

There is some documentation here. As long as you have a report configured then students should be able to access the 'My PLP' from the link.

We will be looking into the installation issues shortly.

Yours

James

Instructional Course Module Creator

I am confused about what version we are supposed to download for 2.0.

I have Moodle 2.12

I have looked at the old plugin database and tried use the latest download from there but got errors on my attempt to install.

I have also looked at the github version, but did not try to download it yet.   I also read the blog about the development of ILP for Moodle 2.0.

Where do I go to try and download the version of ILP that works with 2.x moodle?   Is it not officially released is that why it is not in the Moodle 2.x plugin area yet?

Thanks for your help

Mark

Picture of Mark B

Hi,

I will try the new release tomorrow when i get chance to do some more testing of the ILP on my linux based server.  Like some people i have managed to get the ILP block working on a windows local host with limited capatilities.

I have noticed on my linux server that if i had a previous version of the ILP on there and went to install a new version over it then it did not install.  Also when you delete the ILP folder from blocks, the stuff on "allow permissions" still remains as i deleted the ILP block and it still asks if i'd like to set up permissions for the ILP block within the global permissions menu for users.

Not sure how i delete these but i think this is the thing that stops you installing a new version of the plugin once the plugin was already installed (unless you do a fresh install of Moodle course) (which you should not have to do).

Mark

Picture of Tony Barry

Hi All,

I had a  look at ILP 2 running on a Windows machine, MSSQL and Moodle 2.2. I have been able to install ILP and it initially appears to be running OK so far, although I have just really started testing. Originally on trying to install I was getting an "error writing to database" error.

To enable the ILP to install I changed an SQL call in the file ilp_db.php which was "Show tables LIKE ...", which is not recognised in MSSQL. I made the following changes;

Orginal:

$tableexists = $this->dbc->get_records_sql("SHOW TABLES LIKE '{block_ilp_dash_tab}'");

Altered to:

$tableexists = $this->dbc->get_records_sql("select name from "yourservername.dbo.sysobjects where xtype = 'U' AND name LIKE '{block_ilp_dash_tab}'");

There are 6 occurances in the file to change.  

I hope this info is useful to others.

Tony

Picture of James Ballard

Thanks Tony,

That's great - I have passed to the developer to take a look at this to commit to Github.

Yours

James

John Kerr

Hi james or anyone who can help.

i'm tring to install this block into Moodle 2.2 and i'm not having any luck.

I've moved it on the server, into my blocks directory and use the following command to untar--> tar -zxvf ULCC-moodle-block_ilp-767e494.tar.gz which works.  I go to notifications and nothing happens, no database triggering.  I've also added in the code to my theme.  i'm treating this as a normal block install, am i missing something out here? Please help if you can!

Thanks

John Kerr

have you renamed the folder?

The folder should be called just ilp (I think - I looked at it before Christmas and its on my todo list for next week, but I haven't looked at it for a couple of weeks) but the untar command you've used I believe will leave it named as ULCC-moodle-block_ilp-767e494

Richard

John Kerr

richard,

thanks for that, now managed to get it installed!

John

Picture of Scott Bowak

Hi All

Can anyone shed any light on this issue. I have created a test report which included only one field - Status Selector.

When trying to save said report the following error appears.

error/pluginrecordnotfound

I have turned on developer debugging which shows;

Stack trace:

• line 435 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 41 of /blocks/ilp/classes/form_elements/ilp_element_plugin_itemlist.php: call to print_error()
  • line 200 of /blocks/ilp/classes/forms/reportentry_mform.php: call to ilp_element_plugin_itemlist->entry_process_data()
  • line 103 of /blocks/ilp/actions/edit_reportentry.php: call to report_entry_mform->process_data()

Have looked through the pages mentioned but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated as this is obviously a great improvement on the previous version and a great tool.

Kind Regards

Scott

Sorry Scott, I don't have an answer for you, just latest feedback on my testing and attempts to get this module onto our development server.

Came back to it yesterday on my localhost - linux environment - with a minor edit (see one of my previous posts about the table name) I was able to get the ilp module up and working on my moodle2.2.1 clean install. smile

Today, tried to install it on my work development server (Windows based sad ). The module seemed to install correctly. I can add the ILP block to a page and I can go to the Admin>Plugins>Blocks>ILP page for the settings, but as soon as I try to do anything from either of these (e.g. click the My Course Groups link in the block, or the Report Configuration section in the settings page, I am faced with a blank white screen. I have debugging enabled at Developer level, but it is not showing anything - just the blank screen, no header, no images, so something is crashing it out before it gets anywhere near any part of a moodle page.

At the moment, it looks like I'm going to have to tell people that this block is not going to make it onto our Moodle2 upgrade in the near future and that is something I am really keen to avoid as the 1.9 version is already in use and developing nicely. Any help to get this working will be greatly appreciated - and yes, I'm already trying to talk to people about basing our Moodle on a Linux server instead of Windows, but I'm not holding my breath!mixed

Richard

Picture of James Ballard

There is a fix for the Windows issue that we will be releasing shortly. I believe this relates to using MSSQL as the back-end rather than being specific to Windows hosting.

Much of our development has been completed and tested using XAMPP on Windows machines. 

Did you have the previous ILP on the server or is this a clean install?

Are you using MySQL or MSSQL for the database?

Hi James,

Did not previously have ilp on this server - I have a completely separate moodle2 development server, while I still have the 1.9 version on our production site.

Using MySQL with phpmyadmin as our database. I've just as Jeff, my colleague who actually looks after the server itself to send me the technical details and I will post them up for you as soon as I get them

Richard

Edit: Below is a copy of the Environment page from Settings>Site Admin

php_extension intl should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results

Intl extension is used to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting.

Check
moodle   version 1.9 is required and you are running 2.2version 1.9 is required and you are running 2.2 OK
unicode   must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
database mysql version 5.0.25 is required and you are running 5.5.18version 5.0.25 is required and you are running 5.5.18 OK
php   version 5.3.2 is required and you are running 5.3.8version 5.3.2 is required and you are running 5.3.8 OK
php_extension iconv must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension mbstring should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results OK
php_extension curl must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension openssl should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results OK
php_extension tokenizer should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results OK
php_extension xmlrpc should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results OK
php_extension soap should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results OK
php_extension ctype must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension zip must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension gd should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results OK
php_extension simplexml must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension spl must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension pcre must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension dom must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension xml must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_extension json must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled OK
php_setting memory_limit recommended setting detectedrecommended setting detected OK
php_setting safe_mode recommended setting detectedrecommended setting detected OK
php_setting file_uploads recommended setting detectedrecommended setting detected

and from phpmyadmin - our server is running Microsoft-IIS/7.5

Hope that information helps

Rich

Picture of Tal Hay

Hi Richard,

I have a very similar setup, MySQL and IIS 7.5 and encountered the same problem on a 2.2.1 moodle dev server.

Seemed to install fine and then blank screen when accessing any of the block subsettings. After turning on php errors reporting the problem seemed to lie with configpath.php

Warning: require_once(C:\inetpub\moodle\blocks\ilp\actions/../config.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\inetpub\moodle\blocks\ilp\configpath.php on line 12

If I just set that path to the absolute path of my moodle config file

$path_to_config = 'C:\inetpub\moodle\config.php';

the sub settings pages come up fine. Although I haven't tested much further yet.

Talwyn
Harrow College

Picture of Tony Barry

Hi 

Thanks you for the new download, the install went without hitch but I have found a small problem. I am running ILP 2 on a Windows Server with IIS and MSSQL. When I try to add a report field to a new report I get the following error. It appears as though the record is not being added to the database when you click the submit button on the add field form. I checked the database table "smdl_block_ilp_report_field" and no record gets added even though the screens suggest that it has been, hence when you try to move through to the edit field page the select statement fails.

Default exception handler: Error reading from database Debug: Invalid column name 'dsfsdfsdf'.
SELECT		*
  					 FROM		smdl_block_ilp_report_field
  					 WHERE		label		=	"dsfsdfsdf"
  					 AND		report_id	=	1 
[array (
)]
* line 394 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
* line 255 of \lib\dml\mssql_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
* line 711 of \lib\dml\mssql_native_moodle_database.php: call to mssql_native_moodle_database->query_end()
* line 740 of \lib\dml\mssql_native_moodle_database.php: call to mssql_native_moodle_database->get_recordset_sql()
* line 2253 of \blocks\ilp\db\ilp_db.php: call to mssql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
* line ? of unknownfile: call to ilp_db_functions->label_exists()
* line 50 of \blocks\ilp\db\ilp_db.php: call to call_user_func_array()
* line 138 of \blocks\ilp\classes\form_elements\ilp_element_plugin_mform.php: call to ilp_db->__call()
* line 138 of \blocks\ilp\classes\form_elements\ilp_element_plugin_mform.php: call to ilp_db->label_exists()
* line 514 of \lib\formslib.php: call to ilp_element_plugin_mform->validation()
* line 463 of \lib\formslib.php: call to moodleform->validate_defined_fields()
* line 213 of \blocks\ilp\classes\form_elements\ilp_element_plugin.php: call to moodleform->is_validated()
* line 102 of \blocks\ilp\actions\edit_field.php: call to ilp_element_plugin->edit()

Any advice or direction where to look would be most appreciated. I am happy to alter code and test if you can give me a hint of where to start.

Kind Regards

Tony

Picture of Tony Barry

Hi James,

I am using IIS, Moodle 2.2.1 and MSSQL. Install has been fine as I have mentioned in a previous post. An error reading to the database occurs when ever you try and add a field to a report. I have had a bit of a look through the code and have come to the conclusion that the problem is the fact that a field in the table "smdl_block_ilp_report_field" is called "label'. This is actually a reserved word in MSSQL. It appears that instead of returning the object named "label" it in fact returns the contents of that object causing the code to error. If you actual call the field you are adding "label" then the code actually succeeds. How much impact is there in changing the name of the field from "label" to something like "ilplabel". I think there may also be a field in another ilp table called "value" which may cause a similar problem. Can I ask what you think and some feedback please. 

Picture of James Ballard
MSSQL Support

Hi Tony

Thanks for the feedback - we are in the process of getting a Windows box setup so that we can test on a MSSQL database. We have only used LAMP until now.

The change will require testing all calls to that field so will need quite a lot of testing. Any further information or support on this environment will be appreciated.

We have a delivery date of June/July 2012 for a fully MSSQL working version.

Yours

James