Proposing (forced) adoption of the quiz_downloadsubmissions plugin

by Philipp Imhof -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello everybody

Our school uses the quiz_downloadsubmissions plugin. Unfortunately, it has not been updated for a while and is not compatible with Moodle 4.2+. Here's what I have tried:
  • I have submitted two pull requests in December 2023 and have pinged the maintainers several times, the last time in January 2024.
  • I have sent a mail to the maintainers on January 11th, 2024 where I asked whether they were still maintaining the plugin and offered to help out.
  • On February 11th, I have sent them a message via the plugin directory's built-in messaging system where I offered my help again and pointed them to the plugin adoption programme.

As I have still not received an answer from neither of the two maintainers, I would like to ask the plugin directory curators whether a forced adoption of the plugin would be possible. For reference, I am the maintainer of the Formulas question plugin and have already submitted some (very minor) contributions to core.

My plans, if the adoption is possible, are to assure compatibility with recent (and upcoming) versions of Moodle and implement automatic testing.

Best regards

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

Error - Urgent - We need the format_tiles plugin for Moodle 4.3

by Léo Andrade - Educação e Tecnologia -

Dear sirs,

When using the format_tiles plugin 4.2.0.12023060200, in the student profile, viewing the completion of each activity in a course is unavailable. It is an exceptional plugin that has been widely used by the community in educational institutions around the world. In many countries, we are starting the planning and configuration of courses scheduled for 2024 and which will begin soon. Would it be possible to resolve this issue quickly? We thank you for your attention, understanding and commitment. We await news!

Erro plugin tiles

Average of ratings: -

Course contents block adoption

by Sandipa Mukherjee -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Dear David,
This is Sandipa from Erudisiya Private Limited. I would love to adopt the Block Course contents plugin as I have actively updated Drag and Drop plugin when I used to work as a Moodle developer at Dualcube. Erudisiya is my new team where I am also a founder.
https://erudisiya.com/

I sincerely want that, this plugin to survive and help Moodler to love this wonderful plugin again.

Please let me know how we can be the maintainer of this plugin.
Sincerely,

Sandipa

Error: AMOS threw exception mlang_parser_exception: Error: Expected character ; at line 44

by Daniele Cordella -
In the "Registration of the plugin strings in AMOS" of the "developer zone" of my plugin I read:

Error: AMOS threw exception mlang_parser_exception: Error: Expected character ; at line 44

I went to look for a thread discussing this problem along moodle forums and I found:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=342697
where Mike Churchward rose up exactly my same question.
The problem, for me, is that the line 44 of my English lang file is:
https://github.com/kordan/moodle-mod_surveypro/blob/MOODLE_403_STABLE/lang/en/surveypro.php#L44
and I can not understand where the problem is.

Any suggestion?
As usual, thanks in advance.

Adoption of block_quickcourselist plugin

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello, I am no longer maintaining block_quickcourselist. I have had an offer from Gemma Lesterhuis to adopt the plugin and maintain it going forwards. Please can the necessary actions be taken to put it up for adoption and/or transfer it to her?

Thanks Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

New changes in the main page of the plugins directory

by Federico Astorga -
Picture of Moodle HQ

Hello Moodlers, 👋

We have implemented some updates in the main page of the Plugins directory to improve the navigation and filtering experience.

It would be great if you can interact with the interface and share your feedback through the form you will find on the site. https://moodle.org/plugins/

You can find a more detailed explanation on the plugins directory updates in the Moodle developer documentation.

Plugins up for adoption

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi folks.

It has come to it. Due to limited time availability I can no longer responsibly maintain my own Moodle plugins. I haven't been for some time actually. Following the reasoning outlined in my post back in 2014, my last duty now is to hand them off to competent successors. Therefore I am putting all my plugins up for adoption:

Average of ratings: Useful (7)

Plugin Ownership: report_overviewstats

by Eric Bram -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!  I would like to transfer ownership (lead maintainer and git repo) of https://moodle.org/plugins/report_overviewstats over to the DualCube team.  I already added them as a contributor.  They reached out to take over, and I no longer work at the organization which was using Moodle so I'd appreciate it.

Early Bird 4.3

by Aurélie Soulier -

Hello!

Good news! Moodle 4.3-beta is out! And it is time to grab the opportunity and accept the traditional Early bird challenge!
Moodle plugin developers have three weeks to get their plugins fixed and tested for the upcoming major update.

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 4.3 badge if they have a tested working 4.3 compatible version available on Monday 23 October 23:59 UTC.

Same as ever before, it is not enough to simply mark your current versions as compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 4.3 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).

• Fix all eventually raised warnings, notices, regressions and problems.

• Release a new compatible version in the Plugins directory, or mark the existing one as compatible

We reserve the right to not grant or revoke the award from a plugin if there is a suspicion that it was not tested well. There will be no exceptions for late submissions.

For the growing list of plugins that support the 4.3 version, please see the Moodle LMS 4.3 plugins directory.

Thank you in advance for keeping your plugins up-to-date with the latest Moodle versions!

Best regards,
Aurélie and the Community Sites team

Moodle 4.3 early bird?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As we're less than a week away from the Moodle 4.3 release (and the beta version is already available), are we able to start marking our plugins as compatible yet?

I ran all the automated tests for my plugins against the 'master' branch last night and fixed a couple of minor issues (so, as far as I can tell, they are all working with 4.3), but there doesn't yet seem to be an option to select 4.3 as as supported version for a plugin.

Monthly statistics for plugins missing for July 2023

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi there,

I notice the monthly statistics for plugins (sites installed, downloads, etc.) have not yet been updated to include July 2023. Can this be done please?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Uninstallation of Plugins in Ubuntu CLI

by Erol Gokcedag -
I experienced a Moodle site debacle involving the installation of  a specific plugin to enable REST API authentication to link content between Moodle and Wordpress. The Moodle app proceeded to redirect any login traffic back to a wordpress site page, completely obstructing any option to log back into Moodle. I then looked up topics here in the forum. There is an option in Ubuntu CLI terminal that is stored in Moodle/admin/CLI: 
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=389481
However, I never was able to access the CLI from the terminal. There were various errors, such as problems with the dataroot in config.php. Or,
Moodle 3.8 Installation Error for PHP has not been properly configured with the MySQLi extension.
I would like to request additional support on how to definitively uninstall the plugins in command terminal to fix such compatibility problems in Moodle. Obviously, an obstructed login gateway would nullify any effort to uninstall through adminstrative options. 

Change the lead maintainer of plugins

by Marie-Eve Lévesque -
Hi!

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for this...?

I would like to change the lead maintainer of all the plugins I maintain (https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=contributor&id=2535583) to Issam Taboubi (https://moodle.org/user/profile.php?id=1911781) He is already a maintainer on those, just not the lead maintainer.

Then you can remove me as a contributor on those, or Issam can do it after.

I am asking this since I don't work in the Moodle team of the University of Montreal anymore, I am in another team.

Thanks!
Marie-Eve

A strange error occurs when we are trying to submit a new plugin

by Ascensio System SIA -

We are trying to register our new plugin https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/moodle-assignsubmission_onlyoffice (it's an additional plugin for our main one which extends its functionality https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_onlyofficeeditor)

However, the system says that Another plugin with the same frankenstyle component name assignsubmission_onlyoffice already exists in this Plugins database.

Could you please help us and say what does it mean? Somebody registered our plugin?

What are we supposed to do in this case? 

We will be glad to get any help. Thanks!

Early Bird 4.2

by Aurélie Soulier -

Hello!

Good news! Moodle 4.2-beta is out! And it is time to grab the opportunity and accept the traditional Early bird challenge!
Moodle plugin developers will have three weeks to get their plugins fixed and tested for the upcoming major update.

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 4.2 badge if they have a tested working 4.2 compatible version available on 8 May 2023 at 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as ever before, it is not enough to simply mark your current versions as compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 4.2 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).
  • Release a new compatible version in the Plugins directory, or mark the existing one as compatible.

We reserve the right to not grant or revoke the award from a plugin if there is a suspicion that it was not tested well. There will be no exceptions for late submissions.

For the growing list of plugins that support the 4.2 version, please see the Moodle LMS 4.2 plugins directory.

Thank you in advance for keeping your plugins up-to-date with the latest Moodle versions!

Best regards,
Aurélie and the Community Sites team

Where can I find a list of my favourite plugins?

by Robert Mattis -

Hello dear community,

it has been a while since I last used it and now I cannot find the link anymore. I used to add plugins to favourites very often to keep track of useful plugins. THere used to be a link on the right sight of the plugins overview page. Now with the new design of the plugins section I cannot find anymore. Can someone help please?

Best regards

Robert

Moodle 4.0 and Authorize.Net

by Nancy Cotton -

Need help, my system is hosted and had the authorize.net plugin added for payment of course.  Updated the settings to include all pertinent information.  Added a course to test and when I click on link to pay, it opens this small windows requesting card number, expiry date, expry month, code.  Enter the card information and click on pay and receive response "there are some errors" and nothing more.  Don't know if I should be entering information in a certain format because there is no information on small screen.  I was expecting the information page that Authorize.Net uses to collect information would appear.

I contact my hosted server team and they have no error messages and authorize.net cannot tell me anything without any error message.  Can anyone help me get this working on my site.

Version installed: 2.6.2 (Build: 2022050601)

Has Moodle plug in for solid application?

by Lucas Gonçalves -

Hello i am a student from a university from Brazil and i am doing a search for my completion of course work, so i would like to know if the moodle have support or a plug in for solid https://solidproject.org. Basically solid application allow that the user decide what datas the application can use ou have permission from his user. Furthermore, the site of mit explain : Solid is a specification that lets people store their data securely in decentralized data stores called Pods.

Early Bird 4.1

by Aurélie Soulier -

Hello!

Good news! Moodle 4.1-beta is out! And it is time to grab the opportunity and accept the traditional Early bird challenge!

Moodle plugin developers will have over three weeks to get their plugins fixed and tested for the upcoming major update.

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 4.1 badge if they have a tested working 4.1 compatible version available on 12 December 2022 at 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as ever before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 4.1 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).
  • Release a new compatible version in the Plugins directory, or mark the existing one as compatible.

For the growing list of plugins that support the 4.1 version, please see the Moodle LMS 4.1 plugins directory.

Thank you in advance for keeping your plugins up-to-date with latest Moodle versions!

Best regards,
Aurélie

Average of ratings: Useful (5)

Passing json array as a parameter in a Rest API

by Mustafa Hajjar -

I am trying to make a rest call to a Microsoft calendar service.  A generic curl call works however when trying to use the Moodle core Rest API I get an error saying: "clean_param() can not process arrays, please use clean_param_array() instead." from the rest.php, but I have to pass the array as shown below.

I tried json_encode for the parameters that are arrays but that didn't work either.  I tried changing the interface for the service: 

public function get_api_functions() {
     return [
          'add' => [
               'endpoint' => 'https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/me/events',
               'method' => 'post',
               'args' => [
                    'subject' => PARAM_RAW,
                    'body' => [
                         'contentType' => PARAM_RAW,
                         'content' => PARAM_RAW
                      ],
                    'start' => [
                         'dateTime' => PARAM_RAW,
                         'timeZone' => PARAM_RAW
                      ]
                    'end' => [
                         'dateTime' => PARAM_RAW,
                         'timeZone' => PARAM_RAW
                      ],
                    'location' => PARAM_RAW,
               ],
          'response' => 'json'
          ],
     ];
}

I tried:
          $service->call('add', $params);
and
          $service->call('add', $params, true);
and
          $service->call('add', $params, json_encode($params));

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Mustafa

Plugin directory structure

by Meirza - -

Hi, 

Is there any good sample to structure the plugin directory, yes i have visited the https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Plugin_files page, but it's not answering my question, lets take for example that i want to have helper functions to implement the DRY principle and I'm not sure if it's allowed to create new folder helpers and it will contain some helper files.

What happened to tool_cohortmanager?

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -

A Google search for a dynamic cohort manager Moodle plugin (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=moodle+plugin+dynamic+cohort+manager) turned up this link: https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_cohortmanager However that page says the plugin has either not bee published or is temporarily disabled.

I also found this article https://avetica.nl/2022/08/16/dynamic-cohort-manager/ describing the plugin, which would suggest that the plugin existed/was downloadable at some point in the past.

I'm hoping the plugin's developer / maintainer reads this forum, and if so could they please advise what happened, and whether there are plans to re-publish the plugin in future (and approximately when).

Thanks!

Where to start to create a plugin that uploads a file and shows it in a custom player

by stefano federici -

I have a custom player for a specific file type (sb3 file format; you can see it working at https://rrf.vfu.mybluehost.me/forkphorustest.html).

I want my Moodle users to be able to upload an sb3 file to their moodle platform so that the file will be shown in the player in their moodle courses/pages.

Where do I start from to create this plugin? I know enough Javascript, PHP, etc but I have no idea of the available components in Moodle to painlessly create this plugin (note: even an Atto/TinyCME subplugin could be perfect for me).

Thanks in advance for your help and support

Adding developers to a plugin in the directory

by George Schaathun -

I have some turnover in my team and I need to change the people who are allowed to publish updates and new releases to the plugins I co-maintain.  Could someone point me in the right direction, please?

I cannot find anything in the web interface, and my attempts to google for documentation turn up only false hits about every other part of the development cycle.  

TIA

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Strategy for release of Moodle 4.0 plugins

by Richard Lobb -

I'm the principal developer of the CodeRunner plugin, which has needed fairly extensive changes to achieve Moodle4 compatability. In the process, of course, it has become incompatible with Moodle3. I'm now wondering how best to release the new version. Currently it's in the Development branch on GitHub with the Moodle3-compatible code still in Master.

Following a suggestion from Tim Hunt, I'm considering cloning the current master branch to a new branch MOODLE_3X_STABLE  which would be maintained separately as required for Moodle 3. The Moodle4-compatible Development branch would then be merged into Master, which would continue in its role as "latest version".

A complication that is likely to arise shortly, though, is that further breaking changes are likely to be needed for Moodle4.1, which changes the question bank API. So I will then possibly/probably need another branch called MOODLE-40_STABLE and Master will then be compatible only with Moodle4.1. However, I say "possibly/probably" because I'm not yet sure what changes will be needed; it might be possible to localise the changes in the code so that a version compatible with both Moodle 4.0 and Moodle4.1 is possible.

This proliferation of versions is a pity, but I don't see a way to avoid it except by putting in lots of conditional code of the form "if this version of moodle do this else ... ". There are just too many places where CodeRunner depends on the database question scheme and - probably - the questionbank API .

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding this proposal?

Plugins directory how to receive comments?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is not a lot of traffic on the handful of plugins I maintain, but from time to time a user posts a comment on the plugin Comments.

The problem is that - as the author/maintainer --- I do not receive a notification that a new comment has been posted. The only way to keep informed is to visit that Comments page regularly.

Then, what is the point of the Unsubscribe from comments link at the bottom of the page?

Strangely, Subscribe and Unsubscribe links are identical, as for example: https://moodle.org/plugins/subscribe.php?type=comment&pluginid=120

Create new plugin

by shatha mhana -

Hello everyone,  i am new in moodle plugin development I want to create new plugin for display a report contains course name , teacher name and topics related to this course .

What is the steps for create this plugin including the files I must create  and during the development process its nessesary to use git.

I am using moodle v 3.11.6

Disable Moodle Plugin but keep activities visible

by Vinicius Alberto Alves da Silva -

Hello Everyone. 

I am working on one new specific moodle plugin. The module enables text and multimedia to be inserted into the course page so it's an  Activity/Resource. I am using Moodle 3 installed with Binami stack through Docker (image: docker.io/bitnami/moodle:3-debian-10).

The plugin is an Activity since I know that is possible to go to in "Site administration/Plugins/Activity modules/Manage activitiesand click in the Eye to Hide my Plugin. This hides the resource in the "Add an activity or resource" modal. But this also hides already added resources on the course page. 

My question: It is possible to hide (or even uninstall) an  Activity/Resource plugin and keep the old resources visible in the course section? 

Thanks in advance.

Early bird 4.0

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Good news! Moodle 4.0-beta (2022030300) was tagged in the git repository today! And it is time to grab the opportunity and accept the traditional Early bird challenge!

We know ourselves it may take a while to get your plugins ready when there are substantial changes and improvements expected. So we make an exception this time. Instead of the common three weeks, Moodle plugin developers will now have six weeks to get their plugins fixed and tested for the upcoming major update!

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 4.0 badge if they have a tested working 4.0 compatible version available on 18 April 2022 at 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as ever before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 4.0 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).
  • Release a new compatible version in the plugins directory, or mark the existing one as compatible.

For the growing list of plugins that support the 4.0 version, please see https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=moodle-version:4.0

Thank you in advance for keeping your plugins up-to-date with latest Moodle versions!

Edited on 6 March 2022: Fixed the deadline date from 11 to 18 April to match the scheduled major release date.

Maintenance of the Adaptive Quiz plugin

by Vitaly Potenko -

H!

Looks like this guy - https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_adaptivequiz - acquired a new maintainer (you won't believe it, it's me 😃 ), so I think it would make sense to remove it from the 'Seeking new maintainer' set. I'm also planning to contact Adam (the original plugin developer) to hand off the maintenance completely a bit later.

Let me know if I'm required to take any extra steps in this story, thank you!

Plugin which affects each activity

by Louise Delgado -

I'm a totally newbie in moodle development and therefore I have a very general question.
I would like to make something like the completion button, which can be enabled on each activity of a course.
What type of plugin should I use? I think the block plugin is the only one that could fit.
But normally (I just finished the tutorial for the block plugin) only one block is created on the page. Is it possible to add a block (or something like a button/checkbox/combobox/radio buttons) to each acitivity?

Is is it a good solution to search for the <li> elements in HTML with class like 'activity%' and id like 'module-%' or is there a better/easier way?
Thanks in advance, your advice will be appreciated.

Plugin Adoption: Course Request Manager

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi David,

I would like to adopt and volunteer to be the new maintainer of the Course Request Manager plugin which appears to be abandoned since 2018-09-17 (almost 3.5 years).

I have attempted to contact the maintainers directly and indirectly on multiple occasions over the past 6 months through Moodle.org, GitHub, direct email and even LinkedIn (I tracked them down) enquiring about their plan to continue maintaining and update this plugin to fix it up and make it compatible with recent versions of Moodle, or alternatively to transfer its ownership to me. Sadly, I never received a response. Neither of the maintainers has logged into Moodle.org since early 2019.

I am already maintaining a fork of this plugin since early 2021 which includes many fixes for bug, accessibility, language, Moodle 3.9-3.11 compatibility, UI and usability issues. I also integrated commits from other forks of the plugin. I would like to make all these updates available to the Moodle community on Moodle.org.

Please let me know if there is anything more that I need to do or that you would like to know.

Best regards,

Michael

Submitting new plugin, I get error saying plugin already exists, however a search comes up blank

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -

I'm trying to register this plugin https://github.com/logicexpertise/moodle-mod_onlyoffice on the Moodle Plugins database. When I upload the zip file and click 'Continue', I get an error saying the plugin already exists. However a search for a plugin with that name comes up blank.

Can anyone please tell me how to find the said existing plugin?

Plugins adoption - Invitation

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi David,

I noticed that the Invitation enrolment plugin is seeking a new maintainer.
https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_invitation

I would like to volunteer to maintain this plugin. I am currently reviewing and integrating several forks of the plugin and fixing a few bugs to ensure compatibility with currently supported versions of Moodle.

Please let me know if there is anything more I need to do or that you would like to know.

Best regards,

Michael

Plugin logo does not accept .svg files

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In the course of submitting a new plugin (Random select answers) I have encountered the following issue.

In the Edit this plugin form, a Logo file can be submitted. The Logo field specifies: "Accepted file types: Image files used on the web .gif .jpe .jpeg .jpg .png .svg .svgz"

However, the .svg files are not accepted. The only question type that tried to insert a .svg logo file is Record audio question type, and it does not work as can be seen on its page.

By the way, out of the approx. 80 question types in the plugin directory, only 28 feature a logo there.thoughtful

Can someone please amend the Logo field description with the correct types of accepted image files? Thanks.

Improved validation, API for maintainers and ability to release by tagging at GitHub

by David Mudrák -

Hello! I am very happy to finally announce availability of some new features in the Moodle Plugins directory. These improvements are mostly relevant for the maintainers who release new versions of their plugins regularly.

Improved version number validation

• Plugins must have well formatted version number defined as $plugin->version in their version.php file. Invalid values used to raise warning only before.
  • If specified, the $plugin->requires must be Moodle core version number in the form of YYYYMMDDRR or YYYYMMDDRR.XX. Invalid values did not raise any warning before.
  • For plugins that specify $plugin->requires only in their version.php, all Moodle releases with version number equal or greater than the required one will be automatically selected as supported by default.
  • The incompatible Moodle branch specified in $plugin->incompatible is now validated and taken into account when populating the default list of supported Moodle versions (all between the required one and the incompatible one).
  • Supported Moodle branches specified in $plugin->supported are now respected when populating the list of supported Moodle versions. Only versions that pass all present conditions (supported, requires and incompatible) will be selected.
  • It is no longer possible to release a new version that would have the same version build number as some already released version. This is intended to avoid having different ZIP packages both appearing as the same version which effectively breaks other mechanisms in Moodle such as available update notifications.
  • When attempting to release a new version that has the version number lower than some other already existing plugin version supporting the same Moodle version, a validation warning is raised. Without further action (such as hiding the version that had existed), the newly added version would have no effect on Moodle branches supported by both plugin versions.

API for maintainers

Plugins directory has some of its functionality exposed via web service now. This allows maintainers to release new versions of their plugins automatically - for example using local shell scripts - without the need to fill the form at the web UI.

Please see Plugins directory API docs page for details.

Release by tagging at GitHub

The new API allows to implement integrations with your CI and release workflows. An example of such an integration - ability to release new plugin versions simply by tagging them at GitHub - has been published. Please see https://github.com/moodlehq/moodle-plugin-release for details.

Many thanks everybody for your valuable inputs and suggestions in relevant tracker issues MDLSITE-4781 and MDLSITE-4041.

Average of ratings: Useful (14)

Block_Massaction

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It appears this plugin has been abandoned. It's not been updated in 3 years. The Lead Maintainer (Clem Smith) has not logged into moodle.org for 3 years, and it's not possible to contact him through moodle.org's internal messaging system  (https://moodle.org/message/index.php?id=1894540 returns an error).

The institution, University of Minnesota, where the maintainer (see link on plugin's github page https://github.com/at-tools) was based, no longer runs Moodle (https://vetmed.umn.edu/education/educational-support/moodle).

I have posted  an issue on the massaction github page with a link to this issue - https://github.com/at-tools/moodle-block_massaction/issues/43.

From what I've seen of Moodle 4.0, it's possible this plugin should not be needed after its release. We don't use it a great deal, but some users do use it. I don't really have the resources to support this plugin, so if someone else can take it on board, I think the community would appreciate it.

Early bird 3.11

by David Mudrák -

With Moodle 3.11-beta (2021050700) tagged in the git repository, it is time again for the traditional Early bird challenge for the Moodle plugins developers.

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 3.11 badge if they have a tested working 3.11 compatible version available in three weeks on 31 May 2021 at 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as ever before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as 3.11 compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 3.11 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).
  • Release a new compatible version in the plugins directory, or mark the existing one as compatible.

For the growing list of plugins that support the 3.11 version, please see https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=moodle-version:3.11

Average of ratings: Useful (6)

Bounties

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I need to get some of the Poodll plugins translated into different languages. The AMOS system works great but at its own pace, and somehow asking volunteers to do our work seems like freeloading. Is the concept of putting bounties on AMOS tasks, or even bugs, a possibility? 

I guess if we introduce money into the community it could warp things a little. Perhaps we could offer donations to Moodle conditional on the bounty being performed or something like that.

Thoughts?

Remove yourself as a contributer

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi

There are a number of plugins that I am still listed as a contributor to, that I really have nothing to do with any more. How do I remove myself from these?

Adapt your Mobile plugins to Ionic 5

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi developers!

The next version of the Moodle app (to be released at the end of June) will have some breaking changes for plugins due to the upgrade to Ionic 5. If you have a plugin with mobile support, please take a look at this forum post:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=420585

Cheers,

Dani

Stamp collection seeking new maintainer

by David Mudrák -

I would like to announce that Stamp collection module is now seeking a new lead maintainer.

This was my very first Moodle plugin written back in 2007 and it has had very special place in my developer's heart. That is also probably a reason why I hesitated for too long to offer it for adoption, even when I effectively stopped maintaining it around version 3.4 and haven't updated it since then.

Naturally, I would do things differently today - including the name of the module which was not well chosen. If I started with it today, I would probably call it "Stickers" or "Stickers collection". But actually - I think there are better and mainly up-to-date solutions covering the same educational scenario such as Badges or Level XP or similar gamification plugins.

Overview Statistics Adoption

by Eric Bram -

I was approached by David Mudrák about adopting the Overview Statistics plugin after making a recent Pull Request to bring the plugin up to date with 3.10 compatibility.  I've been a software developer and recently devops engineer for over 10 years and have been doing on-prem Moodle administration for a couple years now.  I'm inspired by Moodle's mission and would love to start giving back to the platform in this capacity.

Too much spam in the plugin comments

by Justin Hunt -

In my own plugin dir pages when I get a notification of a comment, its usually spam. I send it to the moderator (Helen Foster).

In many cases though I doubt plugin admins are that active. I just came across a plugin with 12 pages of comments, almost entirely spam.

https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_simplespeak

Its not the fault of the plugin's author in my opinion. I just don't think we can expect plugin admins to all maintain their own comments. But I really think we should put in place some way of keeping spammers out , that does not tax Moodle's own human resources.

Do we even need comments? Could we just turn them off?

*EDIT*  I had a look around and while there is def. spam on other plugin comments, nothing like this one. Perhaps its just an outlier?

Accessibility Block adoption

by Karen Holland -
Hi David

We would like to volunteer to become the new maintainer of the Accessibility Block, as this has become one of our main focus areas in our Brickfield Education Labs company. We would like to upgrade and up-feature this plugin for all smile

Our personnel include myself, Gavin Henrick, Mike Churchward and other PHP moodle developers.

We will start with a review of its functionality as it's quite old by now.

Moodle plugin hangs on update

by Paulo Tavares -

Hi everyone

I'm developing a moodle plugin to interface with a my own app framework. This way I can have the apps developed in my framework to integrate smoothly and directly into moodle.

My plugin have a lot of dependencies and it has thousands of files in sub-directories.

So my problem is that moodle hangs when upgrading to a newer version. After an insight look of moodle upgrade process I've realized that during this process, all subdirectories of my module are deeply scanned. This hangs the process and the server timeouts.

I can't increase the timeout of my production server.

My question is: Is there a way to tell moodle not to scan my subdirectories during an upgrade?

Thank you very much , I'm having this issue for months.

If this is in the wrong forum, please redirect me to the correct one.

Many thanks,

Paulo Tavares, Portugal

Early bird 3.10

by David Mudrák -

With Moodle 3.10-beta (2020102800) tagged in the git repository, it is time again for the traditional Early bird challenge for the Moodle plugins developers.

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 3.10 badge if they have a tested working 3.10 compatible version available in three weeks on 23 November 2020 at 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as ever before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as 3.10 compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 3.10 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).

For the growing list of plugins that support the 3.10 version, please see https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=moodle-version:3.10

Average of ratings: Useful (7)

Convert wordpress plugin to moodle

by Octo Mail -

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this message is sent to a wrong forum. This is the first time I post something here in the moodle community.

I found a plugin on Envato which is for wordpress. I need a developer to either convert it to a moodle plugin or develop it from scratch.

Plugin can be found here (https://codecanyon.net/item/ultimate-video-player-wordpress-plugin/8374433).

Thanks,

Moodle and web monetization

by Andrew Hancox -

I've just been awarded a grant to bring the web monetisation APIs (https://webmonetization.org) into Moodle through a suite of plugins. My hope is that this will massively reduce the barrier to entry for people wishing to build business models around their content and make buying such content easier and safer for the consumer. The plugins will allow entire sites, courses or individual activities to be monetized via this new browser API. I'm really excited to be working on this project and would welcome input into the evolving architecture and design of the solution as I work on it from anyone who has an interest in being an early adopter.

You can read a bit more in a few places around the web:

Different Course Formats (eTask topics format & Flexible sections)

by olivia bacinschi -

I am a beginner with Moodle. I have had the plugins for: 

1. eTask topics format 

2. Flexible sections

Now I am trying to use them both for the same course, but I can't. Moodle requires to select just one course format. 

I need them both for the same course. 

Is it possible? What should I do?

My Moodle is 3.7 docs. 

Thank you in advance

What dictates which versions are displayed on the 'versions' tab?

by Mike Churchward -

On my questionnaire plugin, I have releases tagged to the various stable branches. In many cases, a release supports multiple releases of Moodle, and there is crossover. It seems that versions are hidden from the versions tab depending on whether or not Moodle releases are tagged in the version.

For example, this is what I see now:

Questionnaire versions page

If I add 3.6 and 3.7 to the Version 3.8.3 information, then it will stop displaying the 3.8.2 and 3.7.4 releases.

Version display.

What I would like is to have the latest version for each of my 3.x branches displayed. How do I do that?

What I've done for now, is 'lie' about what versions of Moodle each release supports, removing version to cause my versions to be displayed. Then I put in the Readme all of the versions of Moodle each release 'really' supports, but that makes it less obvious. Is there a way for me to specify that a version should be displayed with all of the Moodle releases it supports?

Early bird 3.9

by David Mudrák -

May the Moodle version 3.9 live long and prosper!

And you can help, too! With the Moodle 3.9-beta (2020060700) tagged in the git repository, it is time for the traditional Early bird challenge for the Moodle plugins developers. Yay!

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 3.9 badge if they have a tested working 3.9 compatible version available in three weeks on Monday 29 June 2020 at 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as 3.9 compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 3.9 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).

For the growing list of plugins that support the 3.9 version, please see https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=moodle-version:3.9

Average of ratings: Useful (9)

Plugin adoption: Formulas question type

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello David,

As you probably know, Jean-Michel Vedrine is the maintainer of several plugins, including the Formulas question type which interests me more particularly. In April 2017, Jean-Michel wrote: "I am sad to report that most probably there will be no new version from me and I will put this plugin in the 'seeking for adoption' list." ( ref.: Downloads). I think Jean-Michel is now retired and doesn't really support this plugin anymore. However, I couldn't find the plugin in the "Seeking new maintainer" list.

The latest version of the plugin is entitled "4.81 for Moodle 3.0 to 3.5" and was released on September 1, 2018. Although the title says that the plugin is only suitable for versions up to 3.5, the line under the title seems to indicate that the plugin is approved for Moodle up to 3.6.

The need for an officially approved version of the Formulas qtype plugin for Moodle 3.7 and 3.8 is becoming more and more urgent for many users. Eleven people have forked Jean-Michel's GitHub repository, but no one has made the required updates, perhaps because Jean-Michel has often said that the code for the formulas qtype is quite complex.

I have decided to fork the plugin and I think I have made the necessary changes in order to submit it for approval for these new versions of Moodle. For now, I made only the minimum changes, that is, the version number, etc., and I haven't made any improvements to the code itself. No problems have been reported regarding the use of the plugin with the latest versions of Moodle and I think that the simple fact of having an approval for Moodle 3.7 and 3.8 would be appreciated by many users. Obviously this does not exclude future improvements to the code.

I created the moodleformulas.org site for the documentation of the plugin and I regularly answer questions on the quiz forum. I am reasonably familiar with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Although I know the basics of PHP, I still need to learn a lot. Nonetheless, if you think I am competent enough to be the new maintainer, I would like to do so. Otherwise, I hope this post will grab attention and that someone else will soon be able to maintain the Formulas qtype plugin.

Monthly statistics for plugins missing for April 2020

by Eoin Campbell -

Hi there,

I notice the monthly statistics for plugins (sites installed, downloads, etc.) have not yet been updated to include April. Can this be done please?

Skype plugin adoption

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi David,
Would it be possible for me to become the maintainer for the Skype plugin? So far as I can tell, the currently listed maintainer, ETH Zürich, has never done anything in support of the plugin. They do not seem to have answered any queries in the Comments on Skype's page, provided any support in forum entries. They have not made any updates to the plugin page Description. It seems they have not released any updated versions of the plugin since they took over. And in fact, the links they have for, Source control URL and Bug tracker, are actually links to my Skype fork on github that I made years ago when the original creator quit updating the plugin.

API to update my plugin?

by Mark van Hoek -

Is there an API I can call from Github or Bitbucket to update my moodle.org/plugins plugin version info programmatically?

profilefield_multiselect force adoption

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

Hello,

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=profilefield_multiselect is not maintained since initial (and only) release in 2014 .
There are only 3 commits in  https://github.com/nitinwaves/moodle-profilefield_multiselect/commits/master from 2014, PRs not merged and issues not resolved.

I sent an email to Nitin but got no response. Please try to contact him as well, as I see he did log into the site recently.

Btw. I don't necessarily want to take over the maintenance, if there is anyone else interested - please go ahead.

cheers,
Tomek

Can't upload new plugin version

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

Hello,

I am not sure on which tracker project to report it.

I can not upload a new version of "moosh" package - the process most likely times out when moosh.zip is uploaded. This may likely be due to the fact that there is a lot of files there (in vendor directory) and unzipping may be taking a lot of time.

Every time I try to upload I get the page with: 

Something seems to be wrong with the Internet.

Uploading:

Uploading

Result:

Result

How to submit new local plugin?

by Perry Way -

I'm looking for information on how to submit a plugin for the public to use.

Can someone direct me to the right procedure? 

I put together a local plugin that was born from the needs expressed in this post, to host stand-alone pages in Moodle not associated with any course, report or module:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=398277

Plugins and problems in database schema

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I've launched the script admin/cli/check_database_schema.php on several Moodle instances, used from years, and found problems for several plugins.

I think it's a coherence problem between files db/upgrade.php and db/install.xml.
Plugin developpers should think to adapt the db/upgrade.php file to reflect changes in db/install.xml.

On the other hand, administrators should think to launch admin/cli/check_database_schema.php before and after each plugin update. That would allow them to see problems soon when a new plugin version comes out, with this problem, to report it to the developper.

For the benefit of the whole community, what would be the best way to verify lots of plugins? Install an old Moodle version, with old plugins versions, and try to update them (several times) to see where the problem occur? Ask administrators to launch admin/cli/check_database_schema.php on there Moodle installations and publish the results?

And then, how to inform plugin developpers so that they can improve plugins?

Séverin

Adoption of Timestat block and MindMap course format

by Łukasz Sanokowski -

Hello All

Since almost year I don't use Moodle any more.

I am willing to give following plugins:

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_timestat
https://moodle.org/plugins/format_mindmap

Into good hands smile

They are not shared in any git repo. A new maintainer should simply download packages and make initial commit using them.

New Plugin Availability restrictions - PayAllWays

by kyryll yevseiev -

Hi there. 

We have a new plugin that blocks course till it would be paid. It has two modes 

1. Course-wide restriction mode (CWRM)

2. Activity restriction mode (ARM)

in CWRM it blocks all course starting block point in ARM it creates one or more block points. To move forward, student has to pay for it. Plugin was developed especially for Ukraine as all existent payment methods are not allowed here. 

PayAllWays process payments using interface of Ukrainian payment systems. There is only one system in the list right now - Portmone. But the list of acceptable payment systems will grow extremely fast for the plug in. 

PayAllWays has 3 languages in the package - EN, UA, RU at the moment. 

From now there is a way to monetize Moodle courses in Ukraine and we want to make this plugin as something official so everyone can download it from official interface. Can anybody help? 

Proposed adoption of mod_groupselect

by Brendan Heywood -

We've pushed a few pull requests into groupselect but nothing has been accepted and there hasn't been a commit since Nov 2018:

https://github.com/rogerbaba/moodle-mod_groupselect

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_groupselect

It only has explicit support up to 3.6, so no longer is marked as supporting any current stable:

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_groupselect

Catalyst would be happy to give it a home, lots of our clients are using it

Maintainer needed: Remote Backup Provider

by Andrew Zito -

The plugin "Remote Backup Provider" (https://moodle.org/plugins/local_remote_backup_provider) needs a new maintainer. 

This local module allows you to restore a course from a remote Moodle instance into your current instance via a REST web service. The intended use case is quick restores from an archival Moodle instance into the current yearly instance.

This plugin is currently owned by Lafayette College, but we no longer have the resources available to maintain it. We would be happy to hand it over to any responsible maintainer.

Maintainer needed: Meta-course synchronization to groups (local_metasync)

by Andrew Zito -

The plugin "Meta-course synchronization to groups" (https://moodle.org/plugins/local_metasync) needs a new maintainer. 

Metasync creates and populates groups in a course based on the enrollment of metalinked courses.

This plugin is currently owned by Lafayette College, but we no longer have the resources available to maintain it. We would be happy to hand it over to any responsible maintainer.

New maintainer or deletion of the filter_geshi plugin

by Enovation Dev Team -

Hi All,

https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_geshi is up for adoption if anyone is interested.

To be honest I think the plugin should be dropped altogether - the underlying library GeShi had the last stable release in 2012.

Looks like the way to go these days for code highlighting is to use JS libraries - eg highlight.js (and  https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_syntaxhighlighter ).

Best regards,
Tomek

Plugin approval taking longer that expectation

by Yogesh Shirsath -

I know it takes time to approve the plugin submitted to the plugin directory. No offense but it is been 19 days and no one is assigned to test my plugin. Even those plugins got approval which is submitted after me and some plugins have an assignee to test it. I don't understand this process. My queue is increasing day by day instead of decreasing.

The plugin is Disable Right Click.

As the name can explain it disables right. Also, it disables shortcuts, developer options, etc. It helps to protect the content of the site.

The advantage is admin can control what to disable.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-7897

OpenMeetings plugin force adoption

by Maxim Solodovnik -

Hello All,

I would like to "force adopt" the OpenMeetings plugin

I do code modifications of the plugin [1] but have no rights to publish new versions

Thanks on advance smile

[1] https://github.com/openmeetings/openmeetings-moodle-plugin

(Edited by David Mudrák - added link to the plugin, original submission Monday, 25 November 2019, 5:11 AM)

Early bird 3.8

by David Mudrák -

It is here! The Moodle 3.8-beta has been just tagged in the git repository so it is time for the traditional Early bird challenge for the Moodle plugins developers.

Plugins will be awarded with Early bird 3.8 badge if they have a tested working 3.8 compatible version available in three weeks from the beta release on 3rd December 2019 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as 3.8 compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 3.8 beta (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).

For the growing list of plugins that support the 3.8 version, please see https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=moodle-version:3.8

Average of ratings: Useful (5)

Please can we have the 3.8 version in the plugins DB

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I know that technically the beta is not out, but this weekend is the one chance I have to check my plugins for compatibility before the release (and it would be nice to have them all checked before the global Moot.)

Surely, 10 days form the (delayed) release date is not too early to create the version in teh plguisn DB.

Thanks in advance.

Getting the "Mobile app support" badge

by Mike Churchward -

Hi -

I recently released a new version of the questionnaire that includes mobile app support. What do I need to do to get the "Mobile app support" badge?

Recent Travis-CI issues with plugins

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am making this post to share what I have learned from other people. I certaninly did not work most of htis out, but I am sharing what I have lerned in the hope that it helps others.

Travis-CI

Travis has recently changed the default VM it gives you from Ubuntu Trusty to Ubunty Xenial. This means several things:

A) You need to say

services:
mysql

Or you will get errors about MySQL not working.

B) If you were saying

apt:
packages:
- oracle-java8-installer
- oracle-java8-set-default

to make Behat work, you instead need to say

apt:
packages:
- openjdk-8-jre-headless

C) Also, as well as Xenial being the new default, there are already Ubuntu Bionic VMs available and they seem to work well. In fact, in once case my Behat was failing, and then I changed to Bionic it started working. Not sure why. Anyway, it seems to me that if you are storting things out now, you may as well say

dist: bionic

now, and get that working, because that will keep working for longer into the future.

Chrome / Behat

If you have upgraded to the latest Chrome, you will find Behat breaks horribly. That is a general Moodle problem being tracked over at MDL-66378 where Andrew Nicols is doing heroic work to fix it.

If you really want to make your Behat work on Travis before that lands, there is a crazy one-liner that you can add to your build sript to patch in a fix:

# The following line is a temporary work-around for https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-66378.
# Once that is fixed, the next line can be deleted.
- curl https://github.com/timhunt/php-webdriver/commit/7a0aa38f591b7395939df25d8cb6677bf99a481f.patch | git apply --directory moodle/vendor/instaclick/php-webdriver
- moodle-plugin-ci behat --profile chrome
New JavaScript system in master

Moodle 3.8 is going to use a new way of building JavaScript. That means that, if like me you try to have one version of your plugin to support all recent Moodle versions, then the moodle-plugin-ci grunt will fail on Master saying

File is stale and needs to be rebuilt: amd/build/[filename].min.js

(that is, if you build the JS using Moodle 3.7 or earlier). For now, I have just stopped running the tests against Moodle master. Before Moodle 3.8 is released, we will need to think of a better answer to this one.

Summary

To see all this together (including a few other irrelevant changes) here is the commit I made to fix all these issues in one of my plugins: https://github.com/moodleou/moodle-qtype_pmatchjme/commit/4fccd62877bb2df3d5b34c24c78d44a49a53890b

I hope this is useful.

Average of ratings: Useful (9)

Remove Plugin From Directory

by Benjamin Ellis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Help!  How can I have a plugin removed from the Plugin's directory?

Security issues: what to do with vulnerable plugins?

by Ewout ter Haar -

I became aware, just now, of this issue with one of the plugins in the plugin directory: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-7516.

I can't see the issue, since it's a severe security issue. On the other hand, according to https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_security_procedures I shouldn't disclose the plugin involved. I have verified that the plugin enabled exposing our config.php in plain text, and I'm sure much worse can happened.

My question is: what is the responsibility of the plugin directory maintainers in cases like these? In this case, I think the plugin should be removed immediately from the directory (until the vulnerability is solved in a next version). I'm not sure how to deal with the communication with moodle admins that installed the plugin.

Want to adopt format_calendar

by Melissa Newman -

I would like to adopt the format_calendar plugin.  I tried to message the maintainer, but I got no response.  

Attached is a zip file with my changes in it.  I also created patch files for the two files I modified.  I addressed the following issues:

1. Current day not displaying correct (bug fix)
  2. Number of sections auto generated based on start and end date. (enhancement)

This is what I still need to add when I can get the time:

1. Indicate weekends based on site settings of weekends and weekdays. (enhancement)
  2. Auto add in holidays tagged as "no school" days -- shaded like weekend days. (may need to be a separate admin type of enhancement, separate from the format_calendar plugin).
  3. Auto add summary to include fprintf text (eg.  "Lesson %d", sectionnumber) (enhancement) -- want to add the counts for just the school days even if weekends and no-school days have topics.  (This could possibly be an administrator setting, where the admin for the whole site enters in holidays, weekends, startdate, and enddate of the school year and school days can automatically be calculated one time and accessed by any class at any time. -- Public schools have required number of school days).
  4. DB change to include mapping of lesson number to section number.  I want to be able to include weekends as topics, so teachers have the option to help student with time management over vacations or weekends.  This could also be good for "DEAR time (drop everything and read) type of activities for Elementary education and  foreign language classes where even when class is not in session on that day, the student still needs to practice the material.  (Maybe include this in an administrator plugin as described in #3 above).
  5. Ability to mass import activities with default settings with CSV file course id, topic #, title, summary, (and whatever other non-default fields) (admin plugin or course plugin?)
  6. Ability to mass import activities with default settings with CSV file course id, lesson #, title, summary, (and whatever other non-default fields) (admin plugin or course plugin?)

Basically some enhancements that fit into a class that is based on a calendar and the class has regular activities in a set pattern that can easily be defined in a table.  

• Every day the student has to do deskwork and the teacher is just labeling the different pages "Day 1 deskwork" or links to documents or urls.
  • Every day the student has to do homework and the teacher is just labeling the different pages "Day 1 homework" or linkds to documents or urls.
  • Every day their is the "teacher's outline" or "teacher's notes"  or "wiki day for the day" or "blog entry for the day" or "journal entry for the day" type of activity.

Travis-ci various build fails with install

by Jean-Roch Meurisse -

Hi there,

I'm checking my contributed plugins against travis-ci before releasing an update for Moodle 3.7

I'm experiencing build fails on travis-ci.org. The only changes to travis.yml are on moodle branches (added 37 branch) and php version (checks against  7.1 and 7.2). (my .travis.yml is attached).

Even when I restart previously successful builds, they fail too.

Builds for mysql fail with message

The command "mysql -u 'root' -h 'localhost' -e 'CREATE DATABASE `moodle` DE  
FAULT CHARACTER SET UTF8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;'" failed.

Exit Code: 1(General error)

Working directory: /home/travis/build

Output:
================

Error Output:
================
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/va
r/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
Any hint?

Early bird 3.7

by David Mudrák -

Hello world smile

I know that many of you were expecting this announcement to come a bit earlier. No need to worry, there is still enough time to get the special award "Moodle 3.7 Early bird" for your plugin!

The Early bird is a traditional challenge for the Moodle plugins developers. The award will be given to plugins having a tested working 3.7 compatible version available in three weeks from now on 5th June 2019.

Normally, the date would match the release day. Due to the delay in the Moodle 3.7 beta release and based on the feedback from the developer community, we decided to give the plugin maintainers the standard three weeks period to prepare their plugins.

Let me remind. As always, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as 3.7 compatible. Plugin maintainers are supposed to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 3.7 beta (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).

Thank you for keeping your plugins up-to-date with latest Moodle versions!

How to submit Multiple plugins as a single package in moodle.org

by Riddhi Kalariya -

I have developed two plugins (repository and mod), mod plugin is dependent on repository plugin. I want to register these plugins as a single package to moodle.org. 

while i am trying to submit plugin from  https://moodle.org/plugins/registerplugin.php  , It is asking me for individual plugin details.

can anyone tell how to submit multiple plugins as a single package to moodle.org.

GDPR, privacy and plugins sending the information to external entities

by Tomasz Muras -

Hello,

We have privacy API in Moodle, which covers data requests and deletion - good.

What we do not have covered, in terms of managing user's data is the situation where a plugin sends data externally.

If I host Moodle platform, I must inform my users how their data is being used. If I install a plugin, that sends user's data externally, I should really know about it. I should know:

* what data is being sent

* where is it sent (because of the GDPR it's important to know if it's sent within EU or outside)

Such an information is usually missing in plugin's description and the only way to find out about it, is to review the code of the plugin. Let's take an example - integration with an external service, which may be quite common: https://moodle.org/plugins/block_iprbookshop_ru . The block send the following information:

* user id
* first name
* last name
* email address

to the server outside EU (http://www.iprbookshop.ru/autologin).

This is not necessarily a bad thing as this is a service that you want to use (since you installed this plugin) - just maybe we should somehow require that this kind of information is exposed in plugin description (what user's data is sent and where)?

Tomek

Should the MOODLE_37_STABLE branch be created sooner to help plugin checking

by Tim Hunt -

Very soon (I expect), as soon as there is a Moodle 3.7 beta, we will all be asked to check that our plugins work with Moodle 3.7.

For those of us who use Travis-CI, it would be very useful to have a MOODLE_37_STABLE branch in main Moodle git, so we can set up Travis-CI to start running all our automated tests on that branch.

So, I am wondering whether, as soon as we have a Beta, the MOODLE_37_STABLE branch should be created, even if at first it just points at master. (Changing version.php and making it a real stable branch can be done on release day.)

What do people think?

Plugin stats seem wrong

by Mike Churchward -

The stats for plugins don't seem to accurately reflect version information. For example, with questionnaire, according to the stats, a third of the sites are using Moodle 3.5 and 3.6. This means that they are likely using the 3.5 release of questionnaire. There have been four releases of questionnaire 3.5. Yet the downloads per month don't show any 3.5 releases. This can't be right?

Sites using plugin by Moodle version

Version downloads by month

Plugins and PHP version

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

When choosing (or updating) your technical environment for your Moodle installation, you sometimes hesitate for the PHP version to use. Having one supported by your Moodle version, and also by your plugins.

I know it's possible for a plugin maintener to specify supported softare (versions), but it's not always done, or updated. As an exemple, the latest BigBlueButton plugin version indicates PHP 7.1, but not 7.2 (don't know if it's supported technicaly), and lot of plugins don't specify PHP supported versions.

Perhaps it would be a good thing to :

• recommand mainteners to add/update this information
  • add the ability to filter plugins by PHP supported versions

Because if you update your PHP to the latest version, you have risks to have plugins with problems, and it's always a pain.

What others think about these suggestions? And what could be done?

Told simply, with an exemple : we'll soon have Moodle 3.7 out, needing PHP 7.1. Lot of people wanting to update to this version, and still having PHP 7.0 will certainly hesitate between 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 (to switch one time and be fine for a longer time). But people also want to avoid problems with plugins they use, and need a way to be sure they won't have problems.

Séverin

New features in the Plugins directory

by David Mudrák -

Hi!

I am happy to announce some new features now available in the Moodle Plugins directory. I am particularly happy today for these, not only because they were lurking on the todo list for a while. But primarily because they were often suggested by you - the marvelous Moodle community members smile Let's have a look what just landed.

Plugin translation stats

There is a new tab Translations on every plugin's page. It gives the information about the number of text strings defined by the plugin and registered with the AMOS - the Moodle translation tool. And even more, there is also a chart with translations stats of the given plugin. That is, into what languages the plugin is translated and what is the translation completeness ratio.

The existing link to contribute translations for the given plugin has been moved from the Useful links section on the plugin's main page to this new Translations page.

Plugins translation stats page

Strings are registered asynchronously with AMOS

Originally, the strings defined by the plugin were registered automatically as a part of releasing a new plugin version (or editing the existing version record). This could occasionally lead to delays in the release process as the maintainer had to wait for the AMOS to process the new strings. If there was a problem with strings registration, it was not logged. Making it more challenging for the maintainer to remember what the error message was.

Recently, this integration with AMOS has been rewritten so that it happens asynchronously in the background via a scheduled task. Every time a new plugin version is released, or the existing version record is updated, the plugin is marked as "Pending" and it is scheduled for re-check with AMOS. Shortly, typically within minutes, a scheduled task runs in the background that processes such pending plugins.

Starting from today, the plugin's Developer zone page contains a log of all these asynchronous updates of the plugin's strings with AMOS - together with their status. This allows the maintainers to make sure the plugin strings are registered correctly and are ready to be translated by the community translators.

Registration of the plugin strings in AMOS

Public list of not yet approved plugins

This idea has been reopened again during the recent discussions in this forum. Shortly, a new report is now available at Plugins > Reports > Not yet approved plugins page. All the plugins that have been submitted to the Plugins directory but are not yet approved, are listed there. Together with the links to the approval issue in the tracker and the plugin's native Git repository. Please refer to the other thread for details on why and when this can be useful.

Not yet approved plugins

Improved display of the plugin's previous versions

And yet another suggestion was brought in during the great DevJam session at the Moodle MootDE17 in Mannheim. Alexander Bias, a recognized Moodle community developer, came with solid reasons why the current display of all the plugin versions - including all those very old or even hidden ones - is not helpful and makes the page confusing. Especially for plugins with a long development history with many releases.

Finally, today's update brings a new display of the plugin's previous versions. Their list is now presented via a drop-down menu. It still allows the user to find details about a particular legacy version if it is needed. But the list of these versions is not that prominent any more and the users are encouraged to download and install latest versions only, as it should be.

Previous versions drop-down

Many thanks everybody for your useful suggestions and ideas on how to make Moodle even more awesome project smile

Average of ratings: Useful (17)

Are new plugins assessed in the order received?

by Justin Hunt -

I (honestly) hate to whinge because I know its not something we pay for...but it seems that some plugins get assessed earlier than others. 

I have two that have been in the queue over 2 months now and no action whatsoever. I would just whinge and bear it. But others have arrived later and been assessed earlier in that time. I think in the past I have actually been the beneficiary of  a speedy transit.

Is it possible to get some sort of indicator, even if its what place in the queue, of how close we are?

Ability to see all version downloads on stats page

by Mike Churchward -

From MDLSITE-5597

On the versions by download graph on a plugins stats page, many versions are not reported. It seems that if a version is tagged with a Moodle release, that a previous version was tagged with, then the previous version is removed from the graph. This leads to much data being hidden.

For example, for questionnaire I just released version 3.5.2. The act of doing that removes 3.5.1 and 3.5.0 from the display. Those two releases would have had many downloads while the new release will have had very few.

Is there a way to add all active versions to the display? Or possibly group all of a specific release together?

A local plugin that contains common classes and functions for other plugins to use?

by Mike Finch -

I have several general purpose classes in my local plugins,  Also several general purpose functions in each plugin's locallib.php.  I have been copying them verbatim from one plugin to another, and only changing the local_[pluginname] prefix. 

I have three such local plugins as part of my Moodle website now, with duplicates of those general purpose classes and functions.  It would be nice if they were in just one place.  Would it be a terrible transgression of Moodle fashion to move those general purpose classes and functions to one common local plugin, and have the other plugins depend on and include files from that common plugin?  Does anybody do it that way?

I know that common classes and functions are usually defined in a moodle/lib/somethinglib.php file, or in a moodle/lib/classes/something.php file.  But, I am trying to steer clear of adding any files in the core Moodle, and keep all my stuff in local plugins.

Plugins adoption: Regular expression short answer

by Kay Mo -

Hi

I would like to adopt the Regular expression short answer plugin.

My background is in mathematics (Maths teacher) and I am decent PHP programmer. I am bi national (France, Canada) and I maintain my own Moodle training center (continuing education for professionals project managers) hosting 15+ courses for about 2,000 students at: https://mokanova.com/en/moodle/

I plan to free up time to invest in this plugin and use it in my courses as well as maintain it for the community. I also have a new venture project with a real estate expert to develop a training center for continuing education for realtors.

I used to have a "short answer" activity developed in Actionscript but this is not suitable anymore and I am motivated to champion this plugin.

Let me know what the next step is?

Regards

Kahina Kay Morisset

Ability to display current releases

by Mike Churchward -

For some of my plugins (e.g. questionnaire), I maintain multiple release trees. My strategy is this:

1. New features go into the next release of Moodle. So, if current release is 3.5, I create new features for the 3.6 release until the 3.6 is current.
  2. Bug fixes, security fixes, and valuable improvements (my decision), go into the current release and backported up to two previous releases.
When I can, I like to make a given release tree available to other release trees. So, for example, I have made my 3.5 release available to 3.6 (until new features are  ready), 3.4 and 3.3. This allows the users of questionnaire to have the latest bug, security and improvement features without adding new features. When they want the new features, they simply need to move ahead one release.

The problem I am having is that the plugins database always displays the highest release available for all of the release it supports. So, for example, I just released a new version of the 3.5 and the 3.4 release tree. The 3.5 release supports 3.6, 3.5, 3.4 and 3.3. The 3.4 release supports 3.4 and 3.3. On the plugins page, the new 3.5 release shows clearly at the top. The next one below that is for 3.2. I have to scroll down through all of the rest of the release trees (3.1 right down through 1.9) before I find the 3.4 release.

I believe this is because two of the releases support 3.4. Is there a way I can have more control over the order the releases are displayed? Or, could we set the order to be based on release date?

More filtering options on the plugins directory front page

by David Mudrák -

Hi!

I am happy to announce a small yet useful improvement that just landed on the plugins directory front page.

Screenshot of the new filtering UI

Plugins can be newly filtered by a received award or by being part of a plugins set. These new options are available after clicking the "More" link in the filter bar. The supported Moodle version widget was also moved to the advanced ones.

With these new filtering options, you can now easily browse through various collections - such as plugins that have the privacy API implemented, plugins available at the MoodleCloud or plugins seeking a new maintainer.

Beside this, the new version also removes the .gitignore from the blacklist of files that were reported during the plugin validation (thanks Tim Hunt for the report).

Early bird 3.6

by David Mudrák -

Hi there!

We are again running the traditional challenge for the Moodle plugins developer community - a chance to receive a special award "Moodle 3.6 Early bird". This award will be given to plugins having a tested working 3.6 compatible version available on the release day. Moodle 3.6 is scheduled to be released on Monday, 3rd December 2018.

As before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as 3.6 compatible. Plugin maintainers are supposed to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 3.6 beta (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).

Many thanks to all the plugins maintainers for keeping their plugins up-to-date with latest Moodle versions!

Getting in touch with plugin users

by Justin Hunt -

One of the shortcomings I see with the Moodle plugins database is the inability of plugin maintainers to get in touch with their users, other than by posting in a forum or pushing an update. 

The reason I say this is that recently I was made aware of a security flaw in one of my free plugins. I patched and updated on Moodle.org as quickly as possible. I wondered if I should post about it in one of the forum threads dedicated to it, but for the most part the users subscribed to those would be updaters, and I would risk alerting less good people to a flaw they might exploit. I am still not sure what the best course of action is to be honest.

Ideally I would have access to a list of subscribed users to which I could send a direct message (email or message). Is there a best practice here, or some way we can implement a notification feature. After all Moodle alerts registered Moodle site admins of security issues in Moodle in advance of any public release of such information, so it seems like plugins should be no different in this respect.

Kudos to our community plugins curator

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Moodle’s plugins directory contains over 1500 plugins, with a daily increasing list of those still to be approved. It’s a great testament to the power of the Moodle community developers, but a lot of work - albeit  very satisfying! - to check the quality of each submitted plugin before releasing it to the public.

That’s why we’re delighted that Dan Marsden  (developer at Catalyst IT NZ)  has agreed to share the load in his new role as Plugins curator. A long-time Moodler and active participant of the Plugins guardian program, Dan has been providing helpful feedback to plugins authors for a number of years as well as developing his own plugins. We even highlighted one of them, the Attendance module, in a Featured plugin post , back in 2015. (You’ll appreciate the benefits of the Attendance module if you have a Moodle for School site; it’s one of the MoodleCloud set of plugins.)

Plugins curators are respected volunteers from the Moodle developer community, and from now on, Dan will be able to approve submitted plugins which have been recommended by plugins guardians. This will significantly help HQ developers and is also an excellent example of community participation.

We’d like to thank Dan officially for accepting the role, and look forward seeing many more high quality community contributed plugins.

GDPR-ready flag for plugins

by David Mudrák -

Hi! Just to clarify what has been shared in other places. Yes, we will have a flag (probably implemented as an award) in the plugins directory allowing to highlight that the plugin has the new privacy API implemented, which is relevant for GDPR compliance evaluation of the site.

My dreams did not yet come true so this feature was not implemented by the end of this week. But I am sure it will come soon. Thanks in advance for your patience.

p.s. Many thanks to all the new HQ's Plugins Guardians who started to provide approval reviews for submitted plugins just recently, as well as to those veterans who never stopped doing so. Much appreciated.

Moodle DevJam in Barcelona (25 and 26 of June)

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Moodle HQ is organising a Moodle DevJam in Barcelona (25 and 26 of June).

Please, see the Moodle DevJam in Barcelona discussion for details.

See you in Barcelona, Juan

Early bird 3.5

by David Mudrák -

This is just a reminder that Moodle plugins have again the opportunity to receive a special award in the Plugins directory - Moodle 3.5 Early bird. This award will be given to plugins having a tested working 3.5 compatible version available on the release day. Moodle 3.5 is scheduled to be released on Monday, 14th May 2018.

Same as before, it is not enough to simply mark you current versions as 3.4 compatible. Plugin maintainers are supposed to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 3.5 beta (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).

We reserve the right to not grant (or even revoke) the award from a plugin if there is a suspicion that it was not tested well. There will be no exceptions for late submissions.

Many thanks to all the plugins maintainers for keeping their plugins up-to-date with latest Moodle versions!