Plugins adoption programme

Plugins adoption programme

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Let's admit it - having an additional plugin installed into your Moodle site is always a risk. One of the essential aspects (apart from the code quality itself) that potential plugin users have to consider is how well the plugin is being maintained. Does the maintainer release regular updates and bug fixes? Is the plugin updated every six months for the new Moodle major release? Is there a place to report bugs and feature requests? And when reported, are they reflected?

It's not that difficult to write a new Moodle plugin these days. Many students do that as a part of their school or thesis projects, for example. But can one rely on the author of plugin to provide sufficient (or at least some) support for it? To be a responsible maintainer of a plugin is much harder than to be an author of it. Many maintainers work on their plugins in their free time. And even if they are lucky enough to be paid for doing that, it's just time consuming (as everything). Unfortunately, I know this dark side of the truth personally. I am aware of all these feature requests for the Workshop, AMOS and other plugins I have written. And I know I will never be able to implement them all.

No matter how hard one tries to be a good maintainer of their code, the life seems to be driven by unpredictable algorithms. At certain moment, maintainers can realise they are not able to give enough love to their plugins any more. In the essay The Cathedral and the Bazaar, Eric Steven Raymond says "When you lose interest in a program, your last duty to it is to hand it off to a competent successor." And that is what Moodle plugins adoption programme is about. And by the way, Eric's essay is really excellent and if you mean it seriously with the open source development, you should read it.

So, the rules of the programme I am suggesting here are roughly like this:

• It's not a shame to give up of your plugin maintenance. You know that unmaintained plugin is worse than no plugin. You don't want to harm Moodle reputation just because your old code broke someone's site.
  • If you decide to offer your plugin for adoption, let us know via a reply in this thread (preferred over a personal message or e-mail to make it all transparent). We will put your plugin into a special set in the Plugins directory so it is known and public that it happened.
  • Once there is a volunteer who would like to take over the maintenance, please again reply to this thread. Note that it will help if the candidate proves their skills (via a reference or a patch for existing issue etc). So we all know the plugin is passed over to good hands.
  • Finally, the successor is given the main maintainer role for the plugin with all the permissions (edit the plugin record, release new versions etc). The previous maintainer will be still listed as the original author in the directory. Note that the @author tag in the phpDocs block of a file should never be changed even after the whole file is rewritten eventually. It's GPL legal statement, not a credits line.

I believe this mechanism will allow to keep more plugins up-to-date and also give new developers a chance to join our growing community.

Average of ratings: Useful (11)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Plugins adoption programme

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The set Seeking new maintainer was just created and all relevant plugins I was aware of were put to it. For now, we have couple of 2.6 core themes there and one report (originally written by myself for the learn.moodle.net MOOC site needs).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by DualCube Team -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi David,

We have been maintaining the following two plugins listed in the "seeking new maintainer",

1. Drag and Drop matching

https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_ddmatch

2. Overview Statistics

https://moodle.org/plugins/report_overviewstats

And, they are being updated frequently to make sure that they are compatible with all the stable version of Moodle.

We wish to remain the maintainer of those two plugins.

Apart from that, we would like to adopt another plugin: Adaptive quiz
https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_adaptivequiz

We promise to be more careful while maintaining the plugins.

Thanks and Regards,

Suman,
Team Dualcube
In reply to DualCube Team

by David Mudrák -

they are being updated frequently to make sure that they are compatible with all the stable version of Moodle

That was not my impression, to be honest. The only update I've seen in years, was increasing the version number - in ZIPs only (no update in Git, or even a transition of the repository). And even that started to happen only after the community had asked for an updated version. Most suggestions for improvements in the comments were answered with "contact us via email and let's talk about custom development options". I am sorry, but it really looked like making use of an existing plugin and its user base for marketing own commercial services only, without giving a single bit back.

I'll be very happy to see pull requests coming and even more happy to talk about the maintainanceship transfer again once few of them are accepted. Thank you for understanding.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Completely agree with David here.

Taking a look at your existing plugins again - you are breaking the Moodle trademark guidelines in many of your existing plugins descriptions. Please don't use the moodle.org plugins db to advertise commercial Moodle services such as "premium themes/plugins" - can you please update all your plugins db entries to remove the advertising of "commercial" Moodle plugins/themes/development. If you do not do this we may have to flag your plugin entries as "unapproved".
In reply to Dan Marsden

by DualCube Team -
Dear Dan,

We are removing all the extra texts that are in there immediately.

Thank you.

by DualCube Team -
Dear Dan,

I have already removed the extra texts. I have one query though: Can we put our site URL anywhere on Moodle plugins's description or anywhere on Moodle.org?

Thank you.

by David Mudrák -

Of course you can - please see the "Advertising" section of the Site policy here.

In reply to David Mudrák

by DualCube Team -
Thanks David for showing us the right way.

We have plans for the integration of many new features with the existing plugins based on our users' requests. We are already designing a modern layout for the crisp theme. It will be an awesome theme with a UI that the users have never experienced before. And, of course, it will be a child theme of Boost.

The Research and Development team is already scrutinizing other plugins for a better experience of the users. Thank you.
In reply to David Mudrák

by DualCube Team -
Dear David,
We were struggling with the manpower to release timely updates in the past but, we recently solved the issue and now we are keeping up with the updates.

Sometimes, we need to ask for the FTP and the screenshots to debug the issue on the users's sites. That is only when we can not reproduce the issues on our localhost or staging servers. In those cases, we provide our contact details so that the user can get back to us with their issues.

We never ever ask someone for custom development options if the existing solutions can provide what they are looking for and that too happens only when they approach us for that.

We even work with different users to collect the feedbacks and we try to add those much-needed features with the next version's release. For example, the Stripe coupon was doing fine and our users loved it. But they were asking for the coupon system. Our update was scheduled to release the version only for SCA compatibility. But, we decided to add that too.

Even the Roshnilite theme has more features in it than any free or paid themes with the latest update.

We completely love our products and users who love them. We are prepared to do whatever you want us to do to keep maintaining the products.

Please look into it and let me know the steps that we need to follow.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Suman,
Team Dualcube.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Digital Tricksters -
Dear David,
This is Trideep from Digital Tricksters. I would love adopt this plugin as I have actively updated this plugin when I used to work as a Moodle developer at Dualcube. Digital Tricksters is my new team where I am also a founder. 
https://digital-tricksters.com/

I sincerely want this plugin to survive and help the Moodle webmasters to love this wonderful plugin again.

Please let me know how we can be the maintainer of this plugin.

Sincerely,

Trideep

In reply to Digital Tricksters

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Trideep,

I have some similar reservations to those we had with Dual cube taking on maintainership of some of the suggested plugins.

Commenting in the forums using your company name instead of a real person on your moodle.org profile is generally bad practice (please use your real name) and looking at your website it seems like you are also breaking the Moodle trademark policy there and have some extremely dubious marketing practices... (I saw a pop-up on your site telling me that I had 7 viruses and to "click here" to clean now.)

I see you have offered to adopt several plugins, including the Essential theme which sets off even more alarm bells.

Personally I think it would be better for you to prove yourselves by writing your own theme or developing some new plugins and build up a reputation that shows you can be a good community member before you try to adopt other plugins - please make sure you follow Moodle's Trademark rules too.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Happy to be maintainer for....

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_overview

Will fork and so forth...

In reply to Howard Miller

by David Mudrák -

Many thanks Howard for adopting this plugin. I've made you the lead maintainer of the plugin record. Please update all the fields, descriptions etc. as needed there. Thanks.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Hittesh Ahuja -

I would like to give the accessibility plugin for adoption. Unfortunately I haven't been able to give it much time and it will be unfair to hold on to it and build people's expectations . Anyone up for it ?

In reply to Hittesh Ahuja

by David Mudrák -

Thanks Hittesh. I've put https://moodle.org/plugins/block_accessibility into the list of plugins seeking a new maintainer. Thank you for all your work on the plugin and good luck with other projects.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Hittesh Ahuja -

Thanks David. Was starting to feel a bit guilty for not working on it for so long. I'm sure the new adopters will do a great job with it. 

Hittesh

In reply to David Mudrák

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would like to adopt the All-or-Nothing Multiple Choice plugin which is up for adoption. I already maintain a number of other plugins.

In reply to Eoin Campbell

by David Mudrák -

Thanks Eoin for the offer! Let me check and process the transfer in the following days. I'll contact you with technical details.

In reply to Eoin Campbell

by David Mudrák -

Jean-Michel Védrine (the current maintainer of the plugin) is going to do a last release to incorporate all the little changes accumulated along the years and also add the mobile version contributed by Philipp Steingrebe. Once all these latest patches are in place, we will organise the transfer.