Early Bird 4.2

Early Bird 4.2

by Aurélie Soulier -
Number of replies: 9

Hello!

Good news! Moodle 4.2-beta is out! And it is time to grab the opportunity and accept the traditional Early bird challenge!
Moodle plugin developers will have three weeks to get their plugins fixed and tested for the upcoming major update.

Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 4.2 badge if they have a tested working 4.2 compatible version available on 8 May 2023 at 23:59:59 UTC.

Same as ever before, it is not enough to simply mark your current versions as compatible. Plugin maintainers are expected to:

• Test plugins intensively against Moodle 4.2 (Behat and PHPUnit tests help a lot).
  • Fix all eventually raised warnings, notices, regressions and problems.
  • Release a new compatible version in the Plugins directory, or mark the existing one as compatible.

We reserve the right to not grant or revoke the award from a plugin if there is a suspicion that it was not tested well. There will be no exceptions for late submissions.

For the growing list of plugins that support the 4.2 version, please see the Moodle LMS 4.2 plugins directory.

Thank you in advance for keeping your plugins up-to-date with the latest Moodle versions!

Best regards,
Aurélie and the Community Sites team

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Aurélie Soulier

Re: Early Bird 4.2

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've just checked and "4.2" doesn't yet appear to be available in the drop-down list of "Supported Moodle" versions when editing version details in the Plugins directory ...
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Davo - I've just updated the plugins db and added a 4.2 version in now.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Davo Smith

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ouch. My fault. Thanks Davo for noticing and raising it, and thanks Dan for fixing promptly!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Jaswinder Singh -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Dear David,

Any updates on how many plugins have got the Early Bird 4.2 badge. I couldnt find it in plugins repository.

Thanks
Jaswinder Singh
In reply to Jaswinder Singh

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Jaswinder smile I saw that Aurélie posted earlier this: Plugins will be awarded with the Early bird 4.2 badge if they have a tested working 4.2 compatible version available on 8 May 2023 at 23:59:59 UTC. - so I assume that this means the badge hasn't yet been awarded as there is still time!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Aurélie Soulier -

I am happy to report that a total of 233 plugins received the Early bird 4.2 award! Out of them, 198 plugins have been already approved and published in the Plugins directory.
The remaining ones are yet to be improved and reviewed as per the standard approval process.

Many thanks to all maintainers for keeping your plugins up to date!

chart showing the percentage of approved and early bird plugins by release day.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Carles Aguiló -
Picture of Moodle HQ

Hi Aurélie,

Thanks for letting us know and for managing this badge! 🤩

I would like to suggest that the graphic represents the early bird badges against the plugins that eventually are available for that version, as opposed to the total amount of plugins in the repository, as I find that:

• It would be a fairer, more meaningful metric
  • The current metric will always fall, as it includes legacy plugins that cannot by definition aspire to being an early bird plugin

Another reading from the graph as it is is that there are 2,120 plugins for Moodle 4.2, which is not true, so this correction would also improve this aspect.

I am aware that this change would make information about the current version less relevant, as the percent will drop as more plugin get available without the early bird badge, but I find that generally (even though all graphics lie) we would be lying less with such a graphic 😅

Thanks for considering this smile

Best, Carles

In reply to Carles Aguiló

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thank you Carles for the suggestions.

early bird badges against the plugins that eventually are available for that version

Sorry, I am not sure I get this. This chart is made every time when we grant the award. By that time, all the plugins that are available for the given version, are the Early bird plugins by definition. So the chart would always show 100%. E.g. now there are 233 plugins that declare support for 4.2, 198 of them are approved and published. All of them received the Early bird.

Another reading from the graph as it is is that there are 2,120 plugins for Moodle 4.2

That's not right and I agree we can improve the chart legend if that helps. Is that the correction you are referring to?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Carles Aguiló -
Picture of Moodle HQ

Hi David

Yes, I think that the grey bar should be the plugins available for that particular version of Moodle, agreeing that then this section would only contain information up to the previous cycle, the latest one being equivalent to the early bird bar.

Maybe there's a better solution that I can't think of, but I think the suggested one would provide more interesting information.

Cheers, C.