Bounties

Bounties

by Justin Hunt -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I need to get some of the Poodll plugins translated into different languages. The AMOS system works great but at its own pace, and somehow asking volunteers to do our work seems like freeloading. Is the concept of putting bounties on AMOS tasks, or even bugs, a possibility? 

I guess if we introduce money into the community it could warp things a little. Perhaps we could offer donations to Moodle conditional on the bounty being performed or something like that.

Thoughts?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: Bounties

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Recently, I have asked a couple of people if they would mind helping, especially since many are stuck at home due to Covid lockdowns. I have also suggested translating as a way to get some familiarity with Moodle and the way it works. Your question just gave me another idea...see if we can get a Translation forum started where requests for aid in translating a plugin could be posted.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Which plugins? Which languages? do you need translated?

You currently have many Moodle plugins as maintainer.

Most translators will translate for free the free Moodle plugins.

Some Moodle partners will translate the plugins that their customers need.

I (an AMOS translator) generally will avoid translating Moodle plugins that charge their users, as my University (the largest in Mexico) will most likely not pay for the teachers that would like to use those plugins.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Germán Valero

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Most (but not all) of the Poodll plugins require a paid subscription to use. So we are in the non-free camp. I am really talking in general terms. But a query came in recently about "Poodll ReadAloud" in German and that triggered this post.

Well we could just hire a translation agency to look after them, but bounties would be one way to contribute back to the Moodle community. Setting it all up and running bounties might be more trouble than it's worth though.
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This may be an appropriate use of the Moodle Partners. Some Moodle translators are employed by Moodle partners. I am pretty sure this is the case with the German community. They have Moodle consultants that work in English and German and would be able to give you a quote. Establishing a relationship with them may provide some opportunities to promote your plugin too.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)