Plugins and PHP version

Plugins and PHP version

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

When choosing (or updating) your technical environment for your Moodle installation, you sometimes hesitate for the PHP version to use. Having one supported by your Moodle version, and also by your plugins.

I know it's possible for a plugin maintener to specify supported softare (versions), but it's not always done, or updated. As an exemple, the latest BigBlueButton plugin version indicates PHP 7.1, but not 7.2 (don't know if it's supported technicaly), and lot of plugins don't specify PHP supported versions.

Perhaps it would be a good thing to :

• recommand mainteners to add/update this information
  • add the ability to filter plugins by PHP supported versions

Because if you update your PHP to the latest version, you have risks to have plugins with problems, and it's always a pain.

What others think about these suggestions? And what could be done?

Told simply, with an exemple : we'll soon have Moodle 3.7 out, needing PHP 7.1. Lot of people wanting to update to this version, and still having PHP 7.0 will certainly hesitate between 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 (to switch one time and be fine for a longer time). But people also want to avoid problems with plugins they use, and need a way to be sure they won't have problems.

Séverin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: Plugins and PHP version

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Honestly, I never fully understood why the ability to specify the supported PHP version was ever added to the Plugins directory.

As I see it, if the plugin claims to support Moodle X.Y, it implies that it must support all the PHP versions that the given Moodle version supports.

I think that is a pattern we should promote and encourage. In fact, we should drop that field completely as it did not prove to be anyhow useful - at least as far as I am aware of.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Luis de la Torre -

As a moodle plugin developer, I completely agree with David.

The field is not mandatory at the moment and it doesn't really provide any new information. I started filling it at the beginning, on my first plugin uploads and updates, but stop doing so a long time ago.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

Funnily enough my plugin - moosh - is probably the only plugin for which this information makes sense. This is because it can run without valid Moodle installation.

Other than that I second David - we should drop it altogether.