Ability to display current releases

Ability to display current releases

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

For some of my plugins (e.g. questionnaire), I maintain multiple release trees. My strategy is this:

1. New features go into the next release of Moodle. So, if current release is 3.5, I create new features for the 3.6 release until the 3.6 is current.
  2. Bug fixes, security fixes, and valuable improvements (my decision), go into the current release and backported up to two previous releases.
When I can, I like to make a given release tree available to other release trees. So, for example, I have made my 3.5 release available to 3.6 (until new features are  ready), 3.4 and 3.3. This allows the users of questionnaire to have the latest bug, security and improvement features without adding new features. When they want the new features, they simply need to move ahead one release.

The problem I am having is that the plugins database always displays the highest release available for all of the release it supports. So, for example, I just released a new version of the 3.5 and the 3.4 release tree. The 3.5 release supports 3.6, 3.5, 3.4 and 3.3. The 3.4 release supports 3.4 and 3.3. On the plugins page, the new 3.5 release shows clearly at the top. The next one below that is for 3.2. I have to scroll down through all of the rest of the release trees (3.1 right down through 1.9) before I find the 3.4 release.

I believe this is because two of the releases support 3.4. Is there a way I can have more control over the order the releases are displayed? Or, could we set the order to be based on release date?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Ability to display current releases

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

At the moment, the order of versions on the plugin versions page is hard-coded, and matches the logic of the in-built available update checker: always prefer the most recent plugin version that supports your Moodle version. There is no current plan to change that.

In fact, there is an existing counter-proposal from the community that the page should only display the current (latest) versions for each Moodle version.

I can imagine the page could be made a bit more dynamic, e.g. showing a latest plugin version for each Moodle version, with a link/button like "show other plugin versions for this Moodle version") that would then load and show all the previous plugin versions.

In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Ability to display current releases

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

So, then the only thing I could do is remove backward version support labels, and I guess just try to highlight it in the release notes.

Maybe I'm making things overly difficult for myself...