Moodle in English

Posts made in Moodle in English

Moodle in English -> Quiz Quiz grade report saying there are no students in a group even though there are -> Re: Quiz grade report saying there are no students in a group even though there are

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Right, the report indetifies who is a 'student' who might be expected to attempt the quiz by checking that they have permission to either attempt the quiz, or reivew their previous attempts.

Why do you need to remove both those permissions from students? (Or rather, why are teachers attempting the quiz? normally teachers would preview the quiz.)

Moodle in English -> General developer forum Can I make my plugin 100% open source? -> Re: Can I make my plugin 100% open source?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I agree. Moodle HQ and some partners doing closed source things based on the open source Moodle code has alwasy seemed ethically dubious to me. But Moodle does so much good in the world, and Workplace is a significant part of making that financially sustainable, so I just ignore it.

However, as Julian says, there is no way you can support this. The responsibility can only rest with the Moodle Partners who support this. You have made your gift to the Moodle world by sharing your plugins in the database for users of Moodle LMS. Thank you for that. Try not to feel pressure when people raise Workplace issues. There is nothing you can do.
Average of ratings: Useful (6)

Moodle in English -> Quiz Is there a way to add an extra column to show the city field of the student in the results tab? -> Re: Is there a way to add an extra column to show the city field of the student in the results tab?

by Tim Hunt -
In the moodle admin settings, there is one on Users -> Permissions -> User policies there is one called "Show user identity". That controls which fiels from the user profile are shown in all the reports in Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Moodle in English -> Quiz How to get a "question by question" report from a quiz with all randomized questions? -> Re: How to get a "question by question" report from a quiz with all randomized questions?

by Tim Hunt -
Two tools are availabe, but other 'Results'.

The 'Responses' report lets you download, for each question, a textual summary of the questions and answers each students' attempts.

And the 'Statistics' report will provide a break-down of what happened. For example, for each option that a student might have got as 'Question 1', the 'Facility index' is the average score. So, if that is lower for one of the possible questions, it suggests that question might have been harder.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Moodle in English -> Future major features Survey 3 on AI in Moodle - which admin tasks do you want to see automated? -> Re: Survey 3 on AI in Moodle - which admin tasks do you want to see automated?

by Tim Hunt -
Argh! Your AI assistant clearly failed to suggest the right settings to you.

Silly to make any questions required in a survey that is entirely otptional. And particulary when the required questions is "...choose all the ones you would NOT want AI to do for you", and there is not a 'None of these option'.

I will tick something random and corrupt your data, just so I can move on.
Average of ratings: Useful (6)

Moodle in English -> General developer forum List of users who can access an activity -> Re: List of users who can access an activity

by Tim Hunt -
When you get the list of users to send to filter_user_list ... presumably you are using get_enrolled_users or something. Those methods tend to have an argument like $withcapability - so you only get users with permission to do a particular thing.

Moodle in English -> General developer forum Access API issue - Plugin upgrade -> Re: Access API issue - Plugin upgrade

by Tim Hunt -
The default permsissions are only read when a capability is first created.

Once the plugin is installed, admins might have customised their role definitions. It would be terrible if Moodle overrwrote that just because a plugin was updated - so Moodle does not do that.

Moodle in English -> Quiz dmlwriteexception when creating a calculated question -> Re: dmlwriteexception when creating a calculated question

by Tim Hunt -
Yes. there is a limit on the lenght of variable names.

Of course, if you go over the limit, you should not get a nasty database error like then. Instead, you shoudl get a user-friendly validation message from the editing form, to tell you what needs to be changed.

Feel free to creat a Tracker issue to record that this should be improved. Thanks.

Moodle in English -> General developer forum "Edit Module Properties" method missing? -> Re: "Edit Module Properties" method missing?

by Tim Hunt -
To clarify that a bit:

The way things should be: Moodle has an API of generally useful web service functions, which are useful for everyone including the JavaScript in Moodle's UI and the mobile app.

What really happens more often than it should: Web services only get created when someone is implementing a particular feature in the mobile app or the UI, and when they make the service, they are only focussed on the feature they are building.

Such is the real world. Would be nice to do better more often.

Moodle in English -> General developer forum 4.4 Git branch?? -> Re: 4.4 Git branch??

by Tim Hunt -
I think it would be better to create the branch name MOODLE_404_STABLE a few weeks before the release, but only as a name that exists. Before release it should always be identical to main. After release, they can start to diverge, as now. That would let people start to work on testing plugin compatibitily using the right branch name.

However, I have not persuated anyone in the integration team that this is a good idea, so it has not happened. What do other people think?

Moodle in English -> Security and privacy Is it possible to have Moodle users using local autentication and other users authenticating with an Active Directory (LDAP server) -> Re: Is it possible to have Moodle users using local autentication and other users authenticating with an Active Directory (LDAP server)

by Tim Hunt -
Short answer yes: when you create a user account in Moodle, you can specify what authentication method (of the ones enabled on the server) that user should use.

Moodle in English -> Security and privacy Encryption of user personal data -> Re: Encryption of user personal data

by Tim Hunt -
Encrypting the database is not something that should be implemented in the application like Moodle. It shoudl be implemented in the infrastrcuture. (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_at_rest#Encryption) Yes, you should probably be doing that.

One-way hashing of passwords is something else - something that Moodle implments.

Moodle in English -> Quiz Test Bank and Category Score in Quiz Reults -> Re: Test Bank and Category Score in Quiz Reults

by Tim Hunt -
The required SQL used to be out there, but I think from before Moodle 4.0, when the database structure chagned a lot.

This database query gets all the data about a quiz attempt https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Overview_of_the_Moodle_question_engine#Detailed_data_about_an_attempt. From that you could follow links question -> question version -> question bank entry -> question category.

Amending the code behing that quiz report is quite hard. I am not sure i would recommend it as someone first experience of Moodle development.

In the future, hopefully, something close to what you want should be available as standard in Moodle, thanks to MDL-74610.

Moodle in English -> Web services writing a new service - Class \"external_function_parameters\" not found -> Re: writing a new service - Class \"external_function_parameters\" not found

by Tim Hunt -
This documentation might help undestand what is different now: https://moodledev.io/docs/4.2/devupdate#external-api

(Of course, the main 'how to write a web service' documentation should also be updated.)

Moodle in English -> General developer forum Strange behat fail for js timeout -> Re: Strange behat fail for js timeout

by Tim Hunt -
This sometimes just happens when running Behat. So, if you see this, the first thing to try is to just run the test again, and see if it was random.

If you get a lot of ransom fails (because your computer runs Moodle slowly) you can add
$CFG->behat_increasetimeout = 3;
to your config.php

But, if it is not that, you will just have to debug it. Remebmer that you can log into the Behat site yourself. Just go to whatever $CFG->behat_wwwroot is in your browser. For the behat users, password is the same as username. Then, you can step through things yourself. Obviously look for errors in the browser console. (But, from what you write, it seems you might already have done this, and it is still a mystery.)

Moodle in English -> General developer forum Seeking Assistance to Fetch Questions from Question Bank by Course ID -> Re: Seeking Assistance to Fetch Questions from Question Bank by Course ID

by Tim Hunt -
This is not a good way to think about your requirements, becuase the strucure of the question bank is likely to change in future versions of Moodle. (See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=452417)

Moodle in English -> Assignment Moodle group assignment locks 'grouping' setting -> Re: Moodle group assignment locks 'grouping' setting

by Tim Hunt -
I don't really know, but it does seem unnecessary.

It will certainly be necessary to freeze the grouping selected after students have stared working on the assignment - so that will be why this is done. So, I suppose the question becomes - how can Moodle know when students may have started work on the assignment in their groups? When the assignment activity is first added to the Moodle coures is the earliest possible time that might be. And, the first time a student uploads a response is a latest possible time, but probably too late. What else is there?

Moodle in English -> Testing and QA Cannot run Behat tests on Windows -> Re: Cannot run Behat tests on Windows

by Tim Hunt -

When I run php admin/tool/behat/cli/init.php, it runs composer for me, to ensure all the dependcies are present and up-to-date.

I think the question is: why is the code in testing_update_composer_dependencies not working for you? Perhaps add some print_object statements in there, or otherwise debug what it is doing?

Moodle in English -> Testing and QA Cannot run Behat tests on Windows -> Re: Cannot run Behat tests on Windows

by Tim Hunt -
I run Behat on Windows, and it works for me, including

require_once(__DIR__ . '/../moodle-browser-config/init.php');

Strangely, I have a weird mixture of slashes in some of my paths, e.g.

$CFG->dataroot = 'C:\Users\username/data/moodledata';

I have no idea why my config file is like that, but if you use single-quoted strings, you don't need to escape \.

Moodle in English -> Quiz Review quiz that has restricted access -> Re: Review quiz that has restricted access

by Tim Hunt -
Currently, students can only review a quiz if they made an attempt. MDL-20329 logs the idea of doing something about that - but it is tricky becuse some questions have randomisation, so not all students would get the same questions.

If you want a work-around, then as teacher, preview the quiz, submit something (all blank answers?) then save the review of that attempt as a PDF file, and upload the PDF to the course (or something like that.)

Moodle in English -> Web services Fetch a quiz questions via API for external service -> Re: Fetch a quiz questions via API for external service

by Tim Hunt -
It is not meaningful to as 'which questions are in this quiz' becuase it might be different for different students.

You can only get the questions once you have created a quiz attempt for the current user. Now that you know that, it should be clear which services to use.

Moodle in English -> Mathematics tools Bug with rounding in STACK -> Re: Bug with rounding in STACK

by Tim Hunt -
You need to read the Maxima documentatoin carefully. I think 'float' is truncating the number, not rounding it. If you want to round the number, you need to use the round function. Only, Maxima users 'Banker's rounding', which is probalby not what you want.

See https://docs.stack-assessment.org/en/CAS/Numbers/#notes-about-numerical-rounding for wht you do want.

Moodle in English -> Quiz Auto-grading of quiz short answers by external API -> Re: Auto-grading of quiz short answers by external API

by Tim Hunt -
LTI is not a solution to this problem.

A question type that does something like what you are trying to do is CodeRunner https://coderunner.org.nz/. That is different from short-answer, but it sends the students response to an API for grading. Search for the use of qtype_coderunner_jobesandbox in that plugin's code: https://github.com/trampgeek/moodle-qtype_coderunner. (Another, more complex example would be qtype_stack.)

Moodle in English -> Security and privacy Safe Exam Browser not available for Assignments???? -> Re: Safe Exam Browser not available for Assignments????

by Tim Hunt -
At Moot DACH last June, Luca Bosh and I had a good look at whether you could implement rubric grading for Essay questions, and we were forced to conclude that we couldn't (without orders of magnitude more work than could be done in a 2-day hackest).

The problem is that the Moodle 'advanced grading' subsystem (which is what manages Rubrics) has a lot of assumptions hard-coded into it which just don't apply to Essay questions. That would take a lot of re-working to resolve.

I think there is a plugin someone has made which does Rubric grading for essays, but they had to resport to some pretty spectacular hackery to work around the limitations.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Moodle in English -> Quiz Quiz is populating with answers when examinee attempts it -> Re: Quiz is populating with answers when examinee attempts it

by Tim Hunt -
Is it possible that two users were somehow attempting the quiz with the same login?

If you look in the lots for this quiz, for the actions by this user, are there two different IP addresses showing? That might be a sign that two different people ended up trying to use the same Moodle user account?

Moodle in English -> Quiz Non-zero number of question attempts linked to a question... -> Re: Non-zero number of question attempts linked to a question...

by Tim Hunt -
This is a bit of a guess, but I wonder if the teacher previewed the quiz before you tidied up, so they still have a preview attempt referring to the deleted questions?

Try this: to to the affected quiz. Edit the settings, and save that form without changing anything. That has the side-effect of deleting any previews that exist. See if that works.

Moodle in English -> Quiz New feature: Allow quizzes to have multiple scores -> Re: New feature: Allow quizzes to have multiple scores

by Tim Hunt -
I can give an update on how this is going. It is at the point where I think I have finished development, but the work still needs to be reviewed.

Moodle HQ created a demo site running the latest code: https://quizgrades.prototype.moodledemo.net/. You can lot in there with usernames teacher, student or student2. All those have password moodle. It would be helpful if I created some more example quizzes there, to show this off, but I have not had time for that yet, and I did not want to delay sharing the link. If you want to dive straight into testing, here is a direct link to the grade setup page of a quiz.

If you have a time to look, that would be great. Please share any feedback here. Thanks.

Moodle in English -> Quiz Lots of confusion when exporting / importing category -> Re: Lots of confusion when exporting / importing category

by Tim Hunt -
Well the current behaviour is OK-ish. It has been like that for years, and is quite useful to a lot of people, if not ideal.

I did at one point I did write my ideas for what a better import system could look like. See the PDF attachment on https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-74070. However, I don't know of anyone planning to acutally work on this.

Moodle in English -> Quiz "Always latest" not possible for randomly selected questions -> Re: "Always latest" not possible for randomly selected questions

by Tim Hunt -

To make sure I understand, are you saying that this is the problem setup:

1. In the question bank, an single question 'Test question' in 'Test category' with two versions, v1 - ready, and v2 - draft.
  2. A quiz, set to pick a single random qustion from 'Test category'
  3. Student attempts quiz.

Expected result: Student gets a quiz attempt with v1 of Test question.

Actual result: Error "There are not enough questions in Test category to create the question Random question (2)."

If so, that is a bug. sad

Moodle in English -> Quiz "Always latest" not possible for randomly selected questions -> Re: "Always latest" not possible for randomly selected questions

by Tim Hunt -
Random questions work exactly like "Always latest".

They have to work like that. If you are randomly selecting different questions to go in a particular slot of the quiz, then there is no way you could specify a fixed version.

Moodle in English -> Quiz Help with complicated quiz -> Re: Help with complicated quiz

by Tim Hunt -
You can also do this with the standard Moodle matching question type. Just add a bunch of subquestions with answer true or false.

And, there is also https://github.com/moodleou/moodle-qtype_oumatrix, which we created recently, but at the moment that is only on github, not in the plugins database.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Moodle in English -> Quiz "Can't find data record in database" when attempting to preview Quiz -> Re: "Can't find data record in database" when attempting to preview Quiz

by Tim Hunt -
I am not sure. I supposed it is possible that these questions where in categories that did not exist even before the upgrade, but the Moodle code used not to care about that.

(If you have a backup of the site before the upgrade, I guess it would be possible to restore the backup and see if that guess is true, but I am not sure if doing that is worth the effort.) mdl_question_bank_entries which refer to a category that does not exist, and then update them to point to a category that does exist. That might work? (If possible test anything on a backup copy of your real site before doing direct DB changes.)

I suppose if you wanted to try to fix this, you could do a query to find

Moodle in English -> Quiz Override for Allowed Quiz Attempts Limited to 10 -> Re: Override for Allowed Quiz Attempts Limited to 10

by Tim Hunt -
Good that youa re working on this. I still think the best way to do this is a new 'number' field type in formslib, to represent . (That could include support for an 'unlimited checkbox' as an option.) Then that can be used in all similar places, without lots of duplicate code.

Moodle in English -> Quiz Override for Allowed Quiz Attempts Limited to 10 -> Re: Override for Allowed Quiz Attempts Limited to 10

by Tim Hunt -
Actually, HTML now has which it did not have when Moodle, and this bit of the quiz, was invented.

That seems to be what we should use in all places like this nowadays - and probably the way to start is by adding 'number' as a recognised type of field in formslib.

All that is perfectly doable but someone who has the time. (And that is not me!)

by Tim Hunt -
The number in only limited in the UI. I suppose somethought the list in the drop-down should not be too long.

Only possible to change in the code: specifically this number: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/main/mod/quiz/lib.php#L50

If anyone has a suggestion for what number we should use as the limit, please suggest it.

(And, if anyone wants a really easy issue to use to learn the process for contributing a change to Moodle core code, this would be a really great change to use!)

Moodle in English -> Quiz Upgrade from Moodle version 3.9 to 4.1 is not grading the quizzes -> Re: Upgrade from Moodle version 3.9 to 4.1 is not grading the quizzes

by Tim Hunt -
Moodle 4.1 worked for most people. It must be something particular which means it is not working for you. To work that out we would need much more information.

Tell us about th quiz. which settings and question types are you using? Is this affected all quzzes and users, or just some.

Moodle in English -> Quiz HTML in question text causes issues in Question bank display with question test -> Re: HTML in question text causes issues in Question bank display with question test

by Tim Hunt -
I think this is MDL-80537. 4.1 branch is out of support, so if you need the fix you will have to apply it yourself. It is a small change: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/24826f4fc3b6492fc83f699dba6a7785c9d88e00

Moodle in English -> Quiz Feedback comments in Grader report are shown in quiz too early! -> Re: Feedback comments in Grader report are shown in quiz too early!

by Tim Hunt -
This is a bug (which must have been there for years, but no-one has noticed before). Please create a tracker issue.

[Techy info in case it helps: the problem is around here in the code: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/mod/quiz/view.php#L120. Quick fix is to delete the three lines starting if (!empty($grade->str_feedback)) {. Proper fix is to modify them to do the proper "should students be allowed to see this now?" check before using the value.]

Moodle in English -> Quiz Feasability of draft questions not getting versions -> Re: Feasability of draft questions not getting versions

by Tim Hunt -
One suggestion someone made - which I am not yet sure if it is a good idea or not, so feedback welcome - is: would it be helpful if you could 'name' certain versions, with a short bit of text (tag) of your choice, in addition to the automatically assigned number?

Moodle in English -> Quiz Feasability of draft questions not getting versions -> Re: Feasability of draft questions not getting versions

by Tim Hunt -

Here is another work-around you could use. (Though, why should you have to use work-around?)

1. When you want to do a lot of work on a question, don't just edit the real question. Instead, make a copy (either 'Duplicate', or 'Export as Moodle XML', then re-import somewhere.)

2. Do all your exiting and experimenting on the copy.
  3. When you are finished, either manually make the final version of the change to the real question.
  4. Or, install this plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/qbank_importasversion, then you can export you finished question, and import it as a new version of the original question.
  5. When you are finished, delete the temporary copy you made of the question to do you editing.

Moodle in English -> Teaching with Moodle Complex grading and continuous assessment -> Re: Complex grading and continuous assessment

by Tim Hunt -
This is not somthing I know about personally, but what your list about your requirements for gathering grades sound very familiar... I think from one or more webinars I heard by medical education practitioners ... the question is, can I remember where I head it, and was it recorded?

One likely place is the Transforming Assessment webinary series: https://transformingassessment.com/events_past.php?page=1. (And, just generally, I would recommended getting yourself on their mailing list, because they often have interesting webinars.) For example, could this one be relevant? https://transformingassessment.com/events_7_october_2020.php I have not checked. Or, I suppose, it might have been at some MoodleMoot. (Sorry, not very helpful.)

Moodle in English -> Quiz Problems with Question tab in Quiz -> Re: Problems with Question tab in Quiz

by Tim Hunt -
If you go to Admin -> Development -> XMLDB, there is a [ Check foreign keys ] option. That checks, for every place where data in one table refers to another table, that the referenced data exists.

(Best run on a test copy of your Moodle, if you have one, or at a time when your site is not busy.)