Quiz is populating with answers when examinee attempts it

Quiz is populating with answers when examinee attempts it

by N Cal -
Number of replies: 3
Hi there, 

I have a Moodle version 4.2.2

We had an exam session just recently where one of the examinees noted that the answers were populating automatically. This is a multiple choice test, 100 questions broken into sections. The examinee started answering questions, then would skip ahead to a question then go back, the questions were populated with answers. The examinee used different computers and the same thing happened. We updated the log-in for the person and it seemed to fix this. 

There was a morning session and an afternoon session and usernames are anonymized, pretty much a number with an am or pm appended to it. So a person can have 32564am and 32564pm. The tests are set up to close after a certain time, and can only be attempted once. A force exam mark is also in place in case a person opens the exam and forgets to submit, ensuring that the attempt is fulfilled and the exam can't be re-entered.

I noticed something odd when reviewing the attempt with the issue, it would  have multiple responses in the response history for some of the questions, there would be 5 steps, and under on of the actions it shows Saved: {$a}. Then again, some of the other attempts only had 3: 1 - Started, 2 - Answer Saved, 3 - Attempt Finished.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to N Cal

Re: Quiz is populating with answers when examinee attempts it

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is it possible that two users were somehow attempting the quiz with the same login?

If you look in the lots for this quiz, for the actions by this user, are there two different IP addresses showing? That might be a sign that two different people ended up trying to use the same Moodle user account?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by N Cal -
Yes - there are.
I did notice this, but knew that they had moved computers when they noticed this issue happening. We will test this further today and see if this could be the cause.

I was not sure this was possible as when I try to log in to my own account, and I was previously logged in but had shut down before logging out, it would force me to log out first. This just happened today. However, after your post, I tried to log-in with the same account on the same computer, different browsers, and also with the same browser, and was successful in both scenarios.

Is there any control that we can turn on in our Moodle to prevent multiple log-ins?

Thanks very much.
In reply to N Cal

by N Cal -
Okay, just tested it and it looks like there were multiple logins. I'm checking out Limit concurrent logins for this.

Thanks
Average of ratings: Useful (1)