Help with complicated quiz

Help with complicated quiz

by Nguyen Van Hung -
Number of replies: 32
In my country, the Ministry of education give a new kind of quiz. It is also a multiple choice but like the following description. I don't know if there is any plugin like this.
Description: 
Question: Question text
A. Text {choose True or False}
B. Text  {choose True or False}
C. Text  {choose True or False}
D. Text  {choose True or False}

Grading method. If a student choose 1 correct answer, they will get 0.1 point. If 2 correct answser: 0.25, if three 0.5 and if all correct will get 1.0 point. 
THank you very much.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nguyen Van Hung

Re: Help with complicated quiz

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
An approach to this would be to have this quiz (Quiz A, for example) have four questions, each worth 1 point (as an example). Then, in the grade book, you could add a grade item (Quiz X) with a calculated grade, based upon this Quiz A. If Quiz A = 1, then multiply this by .1. If Quiz A = 2, then multiply by .25. Etc.  You can hide QuizA in the grade book.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nguyen Van Hung -
Thank you so much. I am sorry that I am not able to understand this. Can you make it clearer? Thank again.

by Rick Jerz -
Perhaps. What is it that you don't understand? For example, do you understand how to create a quiz with four questions?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nguyen Van Hung -
I can create a quiz with four questions. I am not able to how to do in grade book. Can you tell me detailed steps? In my situation, I need to grade each question, not each quiz. Please help and thank you very much.

by Rick Jerz -
For the grade book, have you studied Grade calculations in the Moodle docs?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Rick,

Your solution is interesting. However, it will require a different quiz for each set of four true or false questions, in addition to the calculation items in the gradebook. If Nguyen has multiple sets of four questions, it will result in a lot of quizzes and calculations in his gradebook, to the extent that I wonder if this solution is practical.

But then again, your solution may be better than mine.

smile
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Nguyen Van Hung -
Thank you. Can you help me with my problem? I have seen in Kprime (ETH) and MTF which have some grading method but not as I mentioned.

by Rick Jerz -
Correct, Dominique, but Nguyen seemed to ask about one quiz with four TF questions. My proposed solution wouldn't work for a quiz that contained multiple sets of four TF questions.

However, consider a quiz with 10 sets of these "groups of four TF" questions.  The student scores, let's say, 84.5 on the quiz.  Then the student asks, "I don't know how I got an 84.5. Could you (the instructor) explain?"  Explaining how a score was derived might take a lot of time.  (If this quiz were "math" questions, the easy response would be "You do the math.")

So as a quiz gets "bigger," it may become harder to verify a final score manually.  I then wonder if this scoring scheme creates more effort than it is worth.  However, I understand that some folks are willing to have this kind of effort for a particular desire.

I can also see that if a quiz contained 10 sets for 4 questions, the next desire would be "If someone gets three sets correct, adjust the quiz grade by xxx. If someone gets four sets at 75%, recalculate the quiz score by yy%."   Whoa, where does this end? Is the "KISS" principle being violated?  🥰

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Rick

You just collided with the elephant in the room! This kind of T/F in multiples is a big thing in certain fields, in medicine for example. The "inventors" must have created clever questions of that type, no doubt. But today it is an alibi cover simple T/F questions because single such questions are too cheap. Bundling them don't increase the quality, they just look impressive. The argument today is that they are related. Being from the same chapter doesn't mean that the questions are related. For example, what is the difference between asking these questions separately or in bundle:
1. Mars is the closest planet to the Sun T/F?
2. A day in Mars is almost three times longer than a day in Mercury. T/F
3. Mercury, Mars and Venus align every 400 million years. T/F
4. Out of the planets other than the Earth, Mars has the highest chance of life. T/F
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Visvanath,

I think there's more to it. For instance, considering they are true/false questions, there's an equal chance on average for correct answers to be true as false. Students who haven't studied at all and answer randomly can score 50%, even though they should maybe score 0%. For example, I could easily score 50% by guessing in a quiz with true/false questions about microbiology even if I don't know the subject.

There are various ways to address this issue, such as using negative points for incorrect answers or employing a non-linear marking scheme as mentioned by Nguyen. Such non-linear marking is common, and you can find more details by referring to the literature on the subject.

In any case, the point is that this type of marking is required by the Ministry of Education of Nguyen. Telling him that it's not a good type of marking isn't very helpful. It looks like it trivializes Nguyen's request, which of course, we are not doing here.

smile

Nothing against non-linear marking - as long as they are really related. (See my related-unrelated set of questions in my previous post.) In fact Kprime too has a non-linear mode: " the student receives one point if all responses are correct, half a point if all save one response are correct, and zero points otherwise".

Yes, as you say, the point is what the OP needs. I thought you solved it here and here. The only remaining thing is he has to implement one on his own. I think, repeating it in different versions, in different voices will only confuse him. The said Ministry has sent him in enough missions in a short time - the majority still unresolved.
wink

Now that is out of the way, I can't resist talking the pedagogy behind these questions. Will reply to Rick soon in a sub-thread.

by Rick Jerz -
Visvanath, thanks for pointing out that Nguyen has some difficult missions to explore, but he is doing a good job exploring them. I always find these types of questions intriguing, and they make me think. Also, I believe that if any LMS can accomplish a task, Moodle has the best chance. Also, if anyone is going to be able to create a unique kind of question type, Dominique would be one of the most likely people to do so.

Have a look at:
may be there are more..

by Nguyen Van Hung -
Thank you very much. But this plugin has only 3 grading methods. How to grade as I mentioned? THank you again.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can also do this with the standard Moodle matching question type. Just add a bunch of subquestions with answer true or false.

And, there is also https://github.com/moodleou/moodle-qtype_oumatrix, which we created recently, but at the moment that is only on github, not in the plugins database.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -

Tim,

At first glance, adding a bunch of sub-questions might seem like a good idea. However, it doesn't address Nguyen's and his Ministry of Education's main request in any way, which is to have non-linear marking. It also doesn't provide the option for a quick and effective workaround while waiting for a full-fledged plugin to be developed.

by Rick Jerz -
I had never used a "Matching question," so I tried Tim's suggestion. Tim's suggestion does seem to provide a way to group True/False questions, as shown below (I experimented with a third answer, "Maybe", just to learn). However, Dominique, you seem correct that the grading is still linear.  However, this could be an intermediate half-way solution for Nguyen (in other words, worth 50%, but his Ministry might say "nope, only 25%.")

I looked at Visvanath's reply to my post above, and I can't answer his question, "What is the difference between asking these questions separately or in bundle" about Mars and planets? Furthermore, questions can be already be grouped in Moodle quizzes, as Visvanath shows.  Also, I can't see why getting two questions correct would be worth .25 instead of .5, but this is not to say that someone, or a government ministry, is wrong for wanting a non-linear grading scale. But I will need to think more about it and perhaps develop a better understanding. In my years of using LMSs, I have seen "colleagues," and "bosses," "departments," "schools," and others say, "It must do this or that." I understand the sensitivity associated with questioning people.

I can be convinced that knowing the capital of Vietnam might be more important than knowing that Pho is a popular Vietnamese soup, so someone might want to give a particular question a higher weight.

Can anyone supply links to what this non-linear grading of grouped questions is trying to achieve?
Attachment Multiple Question.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Rick

You wrote:
> "What is the difference between asking these questions separately or in bundle" about Mars and planets?

I repeat them from this post, for everybody's convenience:

>> 1. Mars is the closest planet to the Sun T/F?
>> 2. A day in Mars is almost three times longer than a day in Mercury. T/F
>> 3. Mercury, Mars and Venus align every 400 million years. T/F
>> 4. Out of the planets other than the Earth, Mars has the highest chance of life. T/F

The answer is, they are unrelated. Why should the student get less marks for Q2 if he answered Q1 wrongly?

Sorry, it is not a complicated quiz, just pretends.

> Furthermore, questions can be already be grouped in Moodle quizzes, as Visvanath shows. Also, I can't see why getting two questions correct would be worth .25 instead of .5,

I am telling the same! That Moodle allows questions to be "bundled" doesn't mean that their marks get interconnected. Here is a (hypothetical, rubbish content) example:

The girl wants to take a right turn. Read the following statements and explanations:
a. She has to touch the snow with her right hand. (statement) Because the frictional force pulls her right hand back twisting her to the right. (explanation)

b. She has to touch the snow with her right hand. (statement) Because the Coriolis force in the Nothern Hemisphere follows a right hand screw. (explanation)

c. She has to take a deep breath through the left nostril. (statement) The leightness of air on the left side reduces the friction on left buttock and accelerates the left body turning her to right.

c, d, e. some such nonsense.

MC questions:
Q1. The statement is correct. T/F
Q2. The statement is correct and the explanation is the reason T/F
Q3. The statement is correct and the explanation is also true but is not the reason T/F
... (more combinations)

by Dominique Bauer -
Visvanath,

Would you happen to have an example of four interrelated questions that are suitable for nonlinear, or non-proportional, grading? It might be challenging to find such examples with just true/false questions.

by Rick Jerz -
Visvanth, thank you very much for clarifying this discussion for me. Now I appreciate better what you were saying.

Dominque, I think I can provide an example addressing your question.  This discussion takes me back to a particular scenario that I ran into involving "statistics." I desired to provide a dataset and then ask a half-dozen questions about it, such as the mean, mode, median, standard deviation, 90% confidence interval, etc. In my opinion, this scenario represents a very powerful need for "question grouping." Visvanath's example of "Mars" and your example of "Vietnam" do not seem to have a strong need for grouping (which Visvanath verified). In my example, I can see someone saying it is much more difficult to calculate the 90% confidence interval than to calculate the mean, so that question about the confidence interval should have more "points." This emphasis on "more points" is based on the difficulty of the question and not on the fact that the student happened to get 4 of 12 questions correct.

My example is from "statistics," but I don't doubt that other fields, like medicine, might have their own natural groupings of knowledge.

Returning to the four TF questions, what puzzles me is that a TF question perhaps represents the most "binary" kind of question, true or false. It perhaps provides the least amount of "resolution" about knowledge. Yet, the Ministry desires to provide a more intricate resolution to grading (i.e., a non-linear grading scale) than they desire for the knowledge itself. (I hope that this makes sense to someone.)

In my statistics example, I have to fudge the creation of this quiz a bit.  What I really need is a "Description" question with variables, which does exist (see my request in MDL-67355).  Instead, what I have to do is to put the dataset into a multi-choice calculated question type and make sure when designing the quiz that it is always the first question.  The remaining questions can be randomized in order.

Dominique, sorry to disappoint you, I can't think of a case where the grading needs to be non-linear. May be Nguyen does.

Now looking back at the Mars & Co. set of questions, I see that they don't even have to be MTF. It could be a multi-choice MC or even a single-choice Q. For example:

Which one (are) correct?
a) The statement is correct. The explanation is factually correct and is also the correct explanation.

b) The statement is correct. The explanation is factually correct but is not the explanation.

c) The statement is correct. The explanation is factually wrong and doesn't support the statement.

d) The statement is wrong. The explanation is factually correct but doesn't support the statement.

e) The statement is wrong. The explanation is factually wrong and doesn't support the statement.

Not that I make this kind of questions. This discussion on "related T/F" brought me memories from my Grade 10 school leaving exam. Apparently this style has died some time in the many, many decades since then.
smile

@Nguyen, you reiterated the importance of the non-linear marking in a personal message. Please note that I don't answer moodle.org questions. See my profile.

We, Dominique and myself, are still looking for a real example where non-linear marking has a logic. Could you post one example?

In my example at least, if the answers need to be a bunch of T/F questions, they need to be interdependent, since combinations like "The statement is wrong. The explanation is factually correct and supports the statement." don't make sense.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sorry, I missed the nonlinear grading requirement.

by Dominique Bauer -

You can also tweak the Cloze question a bit. At first glance, the tweak may seem complicated, but it is actually very simple. I will also eventually improve it.

You can try the following example at https://dynamiccourseware.org/course/view.php?id=89&section=27➚.

MoodleForum_20240226_1558.png

by Nguyen Van Hung -
As you said "You can also tweak the Cloze question a bit". Does this mean we can use Cloze question to create this true/false quiz? Thank you.

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Nguyen,

I have greatly improved the question, and the script it contains is now much simpler.

The question is of Cloze type. It consists of four sub-questions, the only special characteristic of which is that they each count for zero points. The question also includes a hidden sub-question that calculates the grade of the question based on the given scoring scale. This sub-question is somewhat difficult to develop, so I am providing you with an Excel file to generate it automatically.

The question is secure, meaning that correct answers are not identifiable even by inspecting the DOM.

Building a new plugin is a daunting task, and I will not have time to do it soon. However, in the meantime, the solution I propose is already available and should work very satisfactorily.

For now, you can only use one question per quiz page, but I can arrange that after the spring break. Also, the order of sub-questions is fixed, but it may be possible to make it random.

You can try the following example at https://dynamiccourseware.org/course/view.php?id=89&section=16➚.

Note that you can have as many such questions in a single quiz (with the only restriction, for the moment, of having each question on a separate page).

MoodleForum_20240228_0246.png

MoodleForum_20240228_0257.png

by Nguyen Van Hung -
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your devotion. Can I contact you by email or can you contact me by email hoclieusonan@gmail.com. Because I am not good at scripts and I need some more helps about this. Please! Thank again.

by Joachim Tropf -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi all,
I just read the discussion on that topic.
I just want to add a rather simple solution using FORMULAS qt (what else).

FORMULAS has to my knowledge only one real global object and that is an array, which can be read and rewritten in all parts of the question, especially in the grading section.
Using the global array kor I count the number of right answers (in the grading variables part).
Depending on that number I assign the marks to kor[0] (using pick)  and that is the grading criterion!
See attached question!
Cheers
Joachim

In reply to Joachim Tropf

by Dominique Bauer -
Joachim,

Thanks a lot for joining the conversation and providing a Formulas solution, which of course is the most straightforward one.

I don't remember why I left the Formulas solution aside, but since Nguyen mentioned using a plugin, I think the Formulas plugin should suit him.

I'm out of the office until Thursday and I'm supposed to talk to Nguyen when I return but, if he contacts you in the meantime, please give him all the necessary explanations.