Purge random questions instances from 4.1 onwards

Purge random questions instances from 4.1 onwards

by Valery Fremaux -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi !

we have a moodle that accumulated around 1.2 million of random question instances due to massive training sessions for many years.

I noticed that the task for unused question removal that was present in 3.9 has disapeared in moodle (using 4.1) and i didn't located any tool to purge this question base. Note that we have also around the same amount of question attempts in the converted model, which seems consequent...

Can the quiz & question model be purged from old attempts, say before some explicit date, and how to do it ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Valery Fremaux

Re: Purge random questions instances from 4.1 onwards

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There really should not be qtype_random instances any more.

The Moodle 4.0 & 4.3 changes were supposed to finally phase out the use of this fake quetion type. The randomisation feature in quizzes is now handled in a completely different way. But something must have been missed somewhere. The qtype_random plugin still exists in the code, but that should only be to support restore of old backups ... and that is probably where the problem lies.

I have just checked our Moodle db, and we seem to have unnecessary 40,000 random questions too.

I believe (but am not yet confident) that it is completely safe to run the three clean-up queries

DELETE FROM mdl_question_bank_entries
WHERE id IN (
SELECT qv.questionbankentryid
FROM mdl_question_versions qv
JOIN mdl_question q ON q.id = qv.questionid
WHERE q.qtype = 'random'
)

DELETE FROM mdl_question_versions qv
WHERE questionid IN (
SELECT id FROM mdl_question q WHERE q.qtype = 'random'
)

DELETE FROM mdl_question WHERE qtype = 'random'

Note, you can get some confidence that nothing is referring to these random questions by running the following 2 queries, which should both return 0 rows.

SELECT *
FROM mdl_question_attempts qa
JOIN mdl_question q ON q.id = qa.questionid
WHERE q.qtype = 'random'
SELECT *
FROM mdl_question_references qr
JOIN mdl_question_versions qv ON qv.questionbankentryid = qr.questionbankentryid
JOIN mdl_question q ON q.id = qv.questionid
WHERE q.qtype = 'random'

To see how many random questions you have in your database, the query is

SELECT COUNT(1) FROM mdl_question WHERE qtype = 'random'

For now, please only try this clean-up if you know what you are doing, and re able to test it first. (I have just tried it on our test server - fortuanately we are in a period of testing at the moment.)

If anyone can track down where these "should not exist" random questions are coming from, please tell us. This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jordi Pujol-Ahulló -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Tim,

I have tried your queries into our production database with Moodle 4.1.9 (Build: 20240212), and present these numbers:

mysql> SELECT COUNT(1) FROM mdl_question WHERE qtype = 'random';
+----------+
| COUNT(1) |
+----------+
|   154052 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.11 sec)

mysql> SELECT *
    -> FROM mdl_question_attempts qa
    -> JOIN mdl_question q ON q.id = qa.questionid
    -> WHERE q.qtype = 'random';
Empty set (16.93 sec)

mysql> SELECT *
    -> FROM mdl_question_references qr
    -> JOIN mdl_question_versions qv ON qv.questionbankentryid = qr.questionbankentryid
    -> JOIN mdl_question q ON q.id = qv.questionid
    -> WHERE q.qtype = 'random';
Empty set (22.76 sec)

According to your comments, is it safe right now to delete all these old records related to the old question type random? Prior to do that, do you need something else from our part to confirm anything else?

Thanks a lot,

Jordi

In reply to Jordi Pujol-Ahulló

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thank you for sharing that data.

I am afraid I cannot absolutly guarantee that it is safe to delete those random questions. What I can say is:

1. I spent a bit of time (maybe 30 mins) analysing the code, and I beleive it is safe to delete that data.
  2. Last friday I ran the clean-up queries on our test server. Since then, we have not spotted any probems, and right now we are in the middle of testing a bunch of quiz things.
  3. My plan is, at some point, I will either a) do the delete our our production database; but more likely b) develop some Moodle upgrade code in Moodle core, to automatically clean up everyone's database.
So, ultimately it is your choice. My recommendation is still, if you want to do this, first do it on a test copy of your live system, and test a bit. Then, when you are confident, do production.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Note, the tracker issue for the issue described here is now MDL-61267.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Valery Fremaux -
Picture of Plugin developers
I Tim, we have tried on a staging copy of the database, and it seems it has no side effect on quiz behaviour.
In reply to Valery Fremaux

by Tim Hunt -
Having no effect is a good thing, right?