Fordson is a refreshingly clean and minimal design without skimping on visual cues that help learners. Welcome and guide your students to the learning content with a straightforward homepage focused on getting engaged with learning and not the theme. Fordson shines with a "less is more" approach but there are also many useful tools to help learners engage with your content such as improved customized navigation, Marketing Tiles and stunning display of courses.
Clean, Simple, Efficient
- Minimal design
- Single pane of focus for learning materials and blocks
- Customizable navigation: Nav Drawer, My Courses, This Course, Homepage Icon Bar, Course Management Panel, and more!
- Out of the box a clean, refined, and stylish appearance with minimal configuration
- Built for all screen sizes
- Customized Homepage that has creative features when needed but can be used to create a minimal, focused, and distraction free homepage
Two Presets. One Theme.
Fordson comes with two presets: Default and eLearner. Each preset allows teachers to personalize their course by uploading a course summary image. This image is displayed throughout the site in various places and is utilized as a background image in the course. Use the Fordson color choosers for all major elements of the design to match your school colors throughout the design. Subtle style changes provide a unique experience no matter which preset you choose. As a bonus, there is also a variation of Default called Default_X which uses vertical block titles to create separation of blocks from learning content.
Fordson integrates several key navigation enhancements to help get students engaged and learning quickly.
- Customizable Homepage Icon Navigation Bar
- Course Management Panel for teachers
- Customizable Boost Nav Drawer
- This Course drop down to display grouped activities
- My Courses drop down displays enrolled courses
New Innovative Course Management Panel for Teachers!
Purpose Driven Design
The elements that make Fordson unique are built by design and all serve a purpose. Fordson attempts to streamline the process of going from the homepage to enrolling in a course so that learners can engage with the content quickly and efficiently. The custom icon navigation bar is a very visual tool to direct authenticated users on your homepage. If a user has permissions to create new course a button to do so appears on the homepage icon navigation bar. DIsplay news and information in an intuitive textbox slider that is triggered by a button in the icon navigation bar but conveniently hidden to minimize distractions. A unique textbox for both authenticated and non-authenticated users can provide all the necessary instructions for users.
Significant changes to the layout move both learning content and blocks together to focus attention on a single pane on the screen. Custom images uploaded by teachers provide visual cues for learners that they are in a different course and allow teachers to feel they can customize the visuals of their course. Utilize the color options and pick the exact colors you need to give Fordson your school colors.
Install the Easy Enrollment add-on (coming soon) and Fordson will display a new enrollment form on the homepage. This new form will allow a student to enter a 6 digit code and instantly be enrolled into the corresponding course or group within the course. This allows a student to go from the homepage to a course in seconds! It will even generate and read QR Codes for enrolling elementary kids by simple waving a paper in front of the computer.
Fordson also provides unique navigation solutions with the ability to customize the Boost Nav Drawer. Remove the default menu items and add in your own. Jumping from course to course is much easier with the inclusion of the famous “My Courses” drop down menu. Once inside a course, teachers will immediately notice the “Turn Editing On” button located prominently at the top right of the page. Also inside a course page near the breadcrumbs a special drop down displays a grouped listing of all activities used within the course to quickly display a list of every quiz, assignment, or activity. Unique to Fordson is a brand new "Course Management" panel for teachers. This innovative navigation panel provides a much better way to display all the tools and links to manage a course in a convenient sliding panel. The intent of the Course Management panel is to replace the "Edit Course Cog" drop-down menu.
- In order to use the enhanced homepage you must make the SIte Home the default homepage for all users. It will not display if your homepage is set to Dashboard.
- If upgrading from version 1.3.1 to 1.4.0 you will want to adjust the Header Image Height setting for Fordson. This should be set to a minimum of 400px as a starting point for you to adjust the custom site and course background images. The layout changes in 1.4.0 require a larger height to look nice since the image is put behind the content.
Elements and certain functionality of Fordson would not be possible without the following users and plugins:
- Richard Oelmann -Header Images & Social Icons - https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_waxed
- Mary Evans - Morecandy (Sideway Header) Preset SCSS
- Jose Miguel Dager Montoya - Tiled Course Display on frontpage and course categories
- Alexander Bias - Navdrawer Remove Defaults - https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boostnavigation
- Carlos Escobedo - Navdrawer Add Menu Items - https://github.com/cescobedo/moodle-local_navigation