A Moodle 4.0 Boost child theme made for learners. The LearnR theme builds on the new layouts and user experiences introduced in Moodle 4.0. LearnR provides a variety of layouts and options that allow you to provide incredibly structured navigation and pathways to course materials. Continuing the line of evolve-D, Pioneer, and Fordson, the LearnR theme is focused on a student going from “login to learning” quickly and easily.
LearnR continues this tradition by building upon the amazing new features of Moodle 4.0 in the following ways:
- Ability to focus the learner with a single pathway to learning – Remove all side drawers which can be distracting to provide a flatter navigation scheme and lower the cognitive load for users.
- LearnR seeks to provide consistency. When things are predictable students and teachers build confidence in their ability to use the tool. LearnR pursues consistency by making all content full width with navigation that is predictable, simple, and structured for users.
- Customized course header images not only brighten up a course homepage but also provides visual cues for learners on which course they are in.
- Do not fret if you remove the block drawer. We provide quiz and book activity blocks right in the pages without the need for the block drawer. This keeps the course materials always visible for the learner.
- If you are worried teachers and students might need blocks for instructional purposes you can utilize a 3 column “course dashboard” that collapses onto the course header image. This provides blocks above the course content. At the bottom of the page we also provide 3 columns below the course content. By eliminated the side drawers the learner can focus in on what matters – course content.
- Direct users on the homepage, dashboard, or my courses page with our innovative “Icon navigation bar” which allows the site admin to add 8 icon button links and a special collapsible textbox button which is great for site announcements or additional content that might otherwise take up too much space on the page.
- An innovative "course section style chooser" allows the site admin to choose from pre-built section styles for course homepages. Section styles allow you to choose the best look and feel for the way course materials are presented.
- Once a student jumps into course content, keep them there with activity navigation options that makes hopping from one activity to the next clean and easy.
- A latest course drop down menu automatically builds individual course menus for students based on the last 7 courses they visit. Inside a course, this menu is displayed to the right of the course title to allow a student to quickly jump to another course.
- Style and promote your site’s features with 3 marketing tiles that display on the login page along with a full screen image you can customize.
- Color choosers galore allow you to customize many elements of the site and provide unique looks.
- Alert messages and other custom textbox allow for additional information to be presented on site pages.
All of these features can be toggled on or off and mixed and matched for a more personalized user experience. The choice is up to you to define what is best for your learners.
Elements and certain functionality of LearnR would not be possible without the following users and plugins:
- Richard Oelmann -Header Images - https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_waxed
- Gareth J Barnard - Theme Essential feature display courses by last access - https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_essential