Tracker???

Tracker???

by Does This Display -
Number of replies: 4
I couldn't find it.  I looked down the list at least 3 times, and four times in the following section where I thought it might be:

Moodle development

Finally, it was explained to me that with Moodle I could simply make a course and people from around the world could see it, click on it, sign up for it and take it.  But for just a few friends, we could not find it in many cases, could not easily find it in others, could not sign up for it, and suspect there are all kinds of technical hoops to jump through.
Let me ask again.  Isn't there an easy way?  I have written a tiny bit of a course to experiment with.  I have made all kinds of settings adjustments.  All I want is for a few students across the country and around the world who would like my math and science tutoring to be able to bring up Big Blue Button, ask questions that I can see on their paper, and give them direction in how to complete the problems by showing my responses on paper (through a camera and microphone and over the internet).  From the start, I did not expect to write a course, but maybe I will continue to develop a course based on my learners' questions - as an aid, so my few students can review and practice, etc.  Of course I expected to get more students by word of mouth.
This is pretty much exactly what I discussed with a moodle staff person about 5 month ago.  He insisted it would all be that easy.  And he said there was a forum with answers to every possible question I could have.  So I went with moodle.  So far I have not been able to get one single friend who has been able to simply and easily sign up to take my course.
But I hope I have at least somehow helped the colleges and universities.  The important thing is to make sure things get better for the greater number of people.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Does This Display

Re: Tracker???

by Mark Whitington -

I may have missed the point but if you are starting out with Moodle it is unlikely that you will need the Tracker... https://tracker.moodle.org/

Have you looked at the general instructions that will help you get started?

https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Main_page

Where have you located your Moodle site?

If you have used a "localhost" type of install on your PC your friends won't be able to find you as you are not technically on the internet. You will require a host like a university or school would use. Moodle offers a free Moodle Cloud where you could experiment and test out. https://moodle.com/cloud/

Hope this helps but I'm sure others in the community will help you as needed.

Cheers

Mark

In reply to Mark Whitington

by Does This Display -

You stated "If you have used  a 'localhost' type of install on your PC your friends won't be able to find you as you are not technically on the internet."

I have no idea what you mean by a localhost.  But you went on to say "Moodle offers a free Moodle Cloud where you could experiment and test out."

You also said I would "require a host like a University would use."  What is not clear is do I need a host with Moodle, but not with MoodleCloud, or do I need a host period?  Is MoodleCloud free as long has I buy a host for a million dollars say from Radio Shack or Best Buy or someplace.

In reply to Does This Display

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Does This Display, I would suggest to just ignore this "localhost" stuff for now.

As I recall, you already have your moodle on your own website (I cannot remember your exact location, such as www.doesthisdisply.com), so you already have a "host," meaning a computer somewhere on the Internet for your moodle website.  My memory, however, can be wrong. Sorry.

MoodleCloud is a place where one could put their moodle, even for a real course.  But its limitations make it more ideal as a place to learn about how to run your own moodle.  It is free.  In your case, this free MoodleCloud account would allow you to experiment with Moodle, and then apply what you have learned to your own "production" moodle.

That "localhost" stuff pertains to those who want an experimental moodle on their "local" computer, meaning your laptop or desktop computer that you use everyday, but this moodle would not be on the Internet.  In my judgement, you are not ready to for this yet, so don't let it bother you.