Aren't students authenticated users? Do I go down and over 6 to check that? Unclear at Site administration Users Permissions Define roles

Aren't students authenticated users? Do I go down and over 6 to check that? Unclear at Site administration Users Permissions Define roles

by Does This Display -
Number of replies: 22

Course creator

Teacher

Non-editing teacher

Student

Authenticated user

Authenticated user on frontpage

Manager

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Allow users with role Manager to switch roles to the role Authenticated user on frontpage

Course creator

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Allow users with role Course creator to switch roles to the role Authenticated user on frontpage

Teacher

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Allow users with role Teacher to switch roles to the role Authenticated user on frontpage

Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Allow users with role Non-editing teacher to switch roles to the role Authenticated user on frontpage

Student

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Allow users with role Student to switch roles to the role Authenticated user on frontpage

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Allow users with role Guest to switch roles to the role Authenticated user on frontpage

Authenticated user

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Allow users with role Authenticated user to switch roles to the role Authenticated user on frontpage

Authenticated user on frontpage

Allow users with role Authenticated user on frontpage to switch roles to the role Manager

Allow users with role Authenticated user on frontpage to switch roles to the role Course creator

Allow users with role Authenticated user on frontpage to switch roles to the role Teacher

Allow users with role Authenticated user on frontpage to switch roles to the role Non-editing teacher

Allow users with role Authenticated user on frontpage to switch roles to the role Student

Allow users with role Authenticated user on frontpage to switch roles to the role Guest

Allow users with role Authenticated user on frontpage to switch roles to the role Authenticated user

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Does This Display

Re: Aren't students authenticated users? Do I go down and over 6 to check that? Unclear at Site administration Users Permissions Define roles

by Does This Display -

Referring to my message above, when going to Administration: Users: Permissions: Define roles to set this up, I think many could wonder whether they go over 5 and down 6 or over 6 and down 5 [to make it so a student is an authenticated user].  Correct me if I am wrong - actually I really don't understand much and maybe my idea of making a student an authenticated user shows I don't get it.  I mean, why would that have to be done?  Seems a student would automatically be an authenticated user.

I think it would be unclear to many as to whether they go over 6 and down 5 or down 5 and over 6. 

Re: Aren't students authenticated users? Do I go down and over 6 to check that? Unclear at Site administration Users Permissions Define roles

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Anyone who has an account in Moodle is an authenticated user. You don't need to edit any roles or change anything at all smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Aren't studen..... I hope I didn't mess up my site !

by Does This Display -

I made a lot of changes on my site.  The grid above was copied and pasted from my site, except it is missing the check boxes.  I went down to manager and checked what made sense to me (since I am manager, course creator, etc., as well as teacher and student). Similarly I went down to course creator and teacher down the left side and checked off things that made sense going across.  But actually, none of it really made sense to me.  For example, I do not understand why a student would not be checked as a student, but could be checked as a manager.  I don't know why many similar options are given, but I thought since the opportunity to adjust options is available, like most other things I should probably make settings that make sense to me.

..... I hope I didn't mess up my site !

by Just H -

Unless you have very specific requirements there's no need to mess with roles. 

In reply to Just H

by Does This Display -

I don't think my requirements are all that different, but I don't know.  I am not a college, not a high school, not anything but just me trying to use Big Blue Button to tutor.  But I can not seem to make anything work.  I had a computer savvy guy try to login to try my course, but we could not figure out how.  I have asked questions and one person replied that I might think about hiring someone. I suppose that is what colleges do - they have the money and so moodle is built around what moodle technicians know.

Since there are so many things I don't know, I would have thought for example that a student should be checked to have a student role.  I would have thought that might help my computer savvy friend be able to log in.  I thought that and it didn't help.  But now I assume I should know what roles to set as default.  I admit I didn't record the settings.

by Just H -

I'd reset all roles to default (see https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Roles_FAQ#How_can_I_set_a_role_back_to_default.3F).

How have you setup enrolment? If self enrol all they have to do is click a button so not sure why your computer savvy guy would have a problem.

In reply to Just H

by Does This Display -

Yes, I set up enrollment.  I was able to log in from my own computer and my own devices which use my home internet address by registering a new account, using different usernames, passwords, etc.  But I can not seem to do it from someone else's address - like from the public library or from my computer savvy friend's home address, and I suspect from any address other than my home.  It seems to me (I know nothing about internet communications) there is some setting that allows any home address to communicate with my course through moodlecloud.  But, yes, I do feel like I have missed some setting.  I feel like I have made the connection with moodlecloud without some setting that allows moodlecloud to accept communication of students with my course.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you have  Moodlecloud site then it should be available all around the world because it is online. Can you tell us the address online of your MoodleCloud site? I seem to remember you mentioned it before and we could see it on here.

In reply to Just H

by Does This Display -

So as not to bother my tech.savvy guy (who is about 2000 miles away right now), I came to the city library to try setting up a dummy account to test to see if it would communicate with my guessandcheckdiscovery.moodlecloud.... site.  Now I discovered I can not even do that.  It requires a different phone!  When I try to register with moodlecloud, it says the phone number I entered is associated with another account and tells me to log.in to my existing account!  But of course I would not want to do that - I know that account works.  I need to find out if any valid random moodlecloud account can communicate with mine.  Of course, another thing not clear to me is can someone take my moodlecloud "classes" without being a registered user?  I think it has been implied "Yes" and I think I have heard a definite "No" in answer to that question.

I hope the people who write the overall flow charting for setting this up will fix this.

I have been having so much trouble trying to see how all this fits together.

by Mary Cooch -

This is your site https://guessandcheckdiscovery.moodlecloud.com/login/index.php

You have not set it up for students to be able to create accounts on it.

Above the orange log in button, type in your username and password. Then 

• Click the link Administration in the panel on the left
  • In the search box, type "Authentication" into the search box and press Search
  • Scroll down and find Email based self registration and in the column called "Enable" , press the eye icon so it is no longer greyed out
  • Scroll down a bit further and where it says "Self registration" and a dropdown box says "Disable" change the dropdown box to say "Email based self registration"
  • Scroll down to the very bottom and click the orange button "Save changes".

Log out. You should see the option for students to create a new account.

If you ever see a little orange thing "portal" as in my screenshot below, then ignore it. I think you are confusing this with your site and it is why you are thinking you need to add another phone number. Just ignore this.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Does This Display -
Thank you Mary.  My friend was able to create an account this time.  Before he could not.  I am sure it was something I was doing wrong.
But now I wonder.  Often times I click on "Edit Settings" from the gear menu.  I notice things come up different.  On this forum site I did a search by typing in the search box "What does 'Edit Settings' do?"
I did not find a clear answer to this, so I wonder if someone can tell me - should I even be using "Edit Settings?"  If so, could you remind me as to why?   I forgot or have it confused with other edits, but it seems reasonable that I would have to click on "Edit Settings" to set things up.
Thank you for helping me understand and again thank you Mary for helping me.

by Mary Cooch -

"Edit settings" varies according to where you are in your Moodle site. If you are on the front page of your site as an administrator it will show you things to do with the front page. If you are in a course on the course main page it will take you to aspects of the course configuration. If you have clicked into an activity then it will show you aspects of configuring/setting up that particular Moodle activity.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not a big college and I spend my own money.  My moodle wasn't running on day 1, either. It took me a while reading and trying stuff to get my moodle to work.  I found Moodle's docs much better than the LMSs that my schools were using.

Last semester, I had around 150 students figure out how to get into their courses on my Moodle.  And just in the last week, another 35. So whatever your computer savvy guy is doing or not doing, there seems to be something wrong.  It might be with the way you have tried setting up your Moodle.

I would like to say that I have never messed with roles.  In general, there is me (Manager) and students (students.) But I did have a supervisor who wanted to get into my moodle.  I didn't want the supervisor to mess anything up, so I learned how to create a special role for him that basically allowed him to see a course, but do nothing.  (It was a complete waste of time, however.)

I recommend taking Mary's advice.

I do recommend carefully recording what you are doing.  Otherwise, when something doesn't work you will take longer fixing it.

by Paula Clough -
I think you are confusing the front page/site roles with the course roles. Moodle is set up so that it can be very flexible for many different situations.  When your students login they are Authenticated users as Mary said.  When they are enrolled in a course as a student, then they are students in that course.  The same is for teachers.  They are authenticated users then when you enroll them in a course as teachers, they are then teachers in that course. The only site role assignment you will need in your situation is for yourself as an admin or manager so you can create courses, set up users logins, run reports etc.  Your next step is to set up your courses for your study groups and assign the students to the course you want them in.  You should also assign yourself as a teacher in each course so you are on the participant lists.  As just H suggested, you can reset any changes your made to the site roles.  You will get this it just takes time as Rick says.  Start our small. You will really like the Big Blue Button for tutoring and there is a lot you can do for your students to hand in assignments, take quizzes and more eventually.  

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Does This Display -

Ok, let me take this really slowly.  Sorry, but I have been around and around with several issues.  Let me just as a simple question to make it clear.

Now you said "When your students login they are Authenticated users."

Let me ask simply, what about when students register?  Are students Authenticated users at that point?  Is there anything I have to do to allow them to register?  When they register, I assume they can take anyone's course.  But no, wait, that is probably not true, otherwise they could sign up for some college course.  Ok, so then when they register, do I have to give them some code to take my course?  I guess all teachers or professors or University computer departments have to provide a code for each teacher - right?

If I am right on that, where do I provide a code.  I don't think in all the random stuff I have been doing, I don't think I have ever come across a place to put in a code.  I vaguely recall some forum discussion on this issue, but since it did not directly address my questions at the time, I didn't get it. I will look for it again.  Now I don't know if I will be able to find that discussion and when I do, it might be advanced beyond my understanding as are most discussions.

by Mary Cooch -

OK before I attempt to answer your question, can you tell me: on your Moodle site, do you have only one course for students? Or more than one?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Does This Display -

I don't know.  I thought I had 3, but when I log-in, I think all three show up as one.  Maybe I am supposed to get a dif.log.in for each course, or maybe all three show up as three different courses to students when they log.in.

If I have 3 separate courses, which I think I do, the 3 courses are Chemistry, Algebra, and Guess And Check Discovery.  Actually though, maybe I have one course called GuessAndCheckDiscovery and maybe Algebra I and Chemistry are subsets of that course.

I imagine that I could have one log.in username, one password.  Then I think I would create two (or more) courses that would show up as a list of the courses I have created.  Then I think I would be able to click on one of those courses and edit it as I see fit after each discussion with students who I talk with using Big Blue Button.

I also imagine that my students could form an account with moodle cloud, log.in to their own moodle cloud site, find my teacher name, id, username or something, then find my course click on it and sign up to take it.  I imagine the students would not be able to complete sign up unless they completed some kind of PayPal link (since from what I have heard, PayPal is probably the simplest way for me as well as most people).

I can also imagine another or an alternative way - that students log.in to their moodle cloud site, find Chemistry, or find Algebra, or find Guess And Check Discovery, and see the list of teachers across the nation and around the world that offer it and choose the teacher of their choice, and then sign up - PayPal, etc.

I expect it to be simple:

I Create a Site,

I Create a Course,

The software robot (created by the programmers) takes care of all the administrative details.

Students log.in.

Students look for and find my course,

Students sign up through PayPal,

Students see a message telling when I will be tutoring with Big Blue Button,

Students click on Big Blue Button at the appropriate time and get tutoring.

Here is the overall flowchart:

How does a wanna-be on-line teacher find a way to teach on-line?

Google up “teach on-line,”

Look for various companies that provide on-line teaching service.

Wanna-be on-line teacher finds a company,

Wanna-be on-line teacher registers, creating an account,

Wanna-be on-line teacher tries out the company’s service with one course,

Wanna-be on-line teacher creates her or his course,

Wanna-be on-line teacher clicks on a button indicating the course is ready for students to interact with.

A link is automatically created (by the software robot) that allows authenticated moodlecloud users to search for, find and sign-up for the wanna-be on-line teacher’s course.

If students sign-up for the wanna-be on-line teacher’s on-line course, they are able to see the wanna-be on-line teacher’s written course and able to decide if they want to pay for tutoring from that wanna-be on-line teacher.

Students interested in the tutoring are able to find a schedule showing what the wanna-be on-line teacher will be tutoring, and when, and are able to reserve an on-line seat in the tutoring classroom. The software robot will be able to limit the number of students that can enroll in the wanna-be on-line teacher’s tutoring.

A link is provided by the software robot for students who want to join the wanna-be on-line teacher’s on-line Big Blue Button tutoring to pay using PayPal,

The software robot limits the number of students that can enroll in the wanna-be on-line teacher’s tutoring.

The software robot checks to see if the students who sign-up have paid,

If students have paid, they can join the Big Blue Button tutoring session they paid for.  Students have to pay for each time they want to join the tutoring session – pay hourly, daily, weekly, etc.  No matter how late or early, if there is seat room in the tutoring classroom, students can pay and join – even up to the last minute.

If students have paid and are logged-in and if the wanna-be on-line teacher is logged-in, the software robot automatically connects up to 5 students simultaneously with each other and the wanna-be on-line teacher.

SO THAT IS HOW I EXPECT IT TO BE.  I already have a guessandcheckdiscovery site that I am trying to build on my own to work this way, but so far it doesn't work because I have not found a free on-line "venue" (or whatever it would be called) to try this out and I don't know how to program the computer, the internet or whatever with all the administrative details.  Q:?)

by Mary Cooch -

Hello again. I don't have time at the moment to respond to all of this but just to correct a misunderstanding here. Here is what you wrote:

I also imagine that my students could form an account with moodle cloud, log.in to their own moodle cloud site, find my teacher name, id, username or something, then find my course click on it and sign up to take it.  I imagine the students would not be able to complete sign up unless they completed some kind of PayPal link (since from what I have heard, PayPal is probably the simplest way for me as well as most people).

I can also imagine another or an alternative way - that students log.in to their moodle cloud site, find Chemistry, or find Algebra, or find Guess And Check Discovery, and see the list of teachers across the nation and around the world that offer it and choose the teacher of their choice, and then sign up - PayPal, etc.

Moodle is a piece of (free software) that people and organisations can download and install for students to use. It then appears as a weblink for that person or that organisation. If you don't have the technical knowledge to set this software up yourself, you can use the services of MoodleCloud. who will give you a ready made Moodle site on the internet. Which is what you have done. Great start smile

BUT... think back to my hotel analogy. Your Moodle site is a hotel. You have courses for students in it. So the students must go to your site, your 'hotel' to find your courses. There is no point making an account anywhere else because your courses are only in your place.

Once your courses are set up and you have followed my instructions for letting students get into your site (the front door of the hotel) and into your courses (hotel rooms, locked or with a passcode) you will need somehow to let the world know your site exists smile The students won't just find it. You will have to promote it in different places online, tell people about it, tell universities about it, and so on.

by Rick Jerz -

I use "self-enrollment."  The code that I give them is the one that I put into the enrollment key textbox found at Course Admin | Users | Enrollment Methods | Self-Enrollment.

Getting students into your moodle depends on many factors.  For my small moodle, I like to use self-enrollment.  In my case, my university's course registration system is what manages student registration.  A little before my course starts, I go into the university's course information system, download a list of registered users along with their email addresses, and then email these students (of mine) my "Welcome" email with the enrollment key (and instructions and a video on how to get into my moodle.)  Usually, better than 98% of my students are able to follow my instructions.  (You know, some students have difficulty following instructions.  Oh well.)

Does This Display, I wanted to mention to you to consider attending a MoodleMoot.  When I first started using Moodle, I decided to attend one of these Moots.  My main purpose was to meet people who were "experts" at using moodle and ask my questions and show & tell.  It was really beneficial and well worth the expense.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Does this Display. (Are you sure you don't want me to change "Does this DIsplay" to say your real name, by the way?)

1. You have a MoodleCloud site
  2. You have a course on this site that you want students to do. (Maybe more than one)
  3. You need to find out how to do this.

Think of your site a bit like a hotel with a front door which is locked, and then one or more rooms which also have locks or some sort of seal on them. Your hotel might only have one room if you only have one course

Like guests in a hotel, students must first be able to get inside your MoodleCloud site. They need the door to be unlocked. For this and for your MoodleCLoud site, you need to activate what we call Email-based self-registration - that is a link to the instructions - click it - and then they also need to be able to get to your course, in my analogy, the hotel room

For this, you need either to allow the students to simply get in by clicking a button  or by entering a code (known as an enrolment key) (Guests get into the room either by opening the door themselves or by tapping in a code at the door.) For either of these, you need to enable IN THE COURSE what we call Self enrolment  Click that link to see how to add that. When you set this up you need to be inside the course to do it. 

In Moodle-speak, letting the students in to the site, in the same way as they get into the hotel is called Authentication. Letting them into a course, in the same way as they get into a hotel room is called Enrolment. You need both these for students to be able to do your course.

And then - you need to tell them where your course is online smile THey need to know the internet address of your MoodleCLoud site.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Does This Display -

I went to the library and tried to set up (register) a dummy moodlecloud site so I could be the dummy student trying to find my course. The registration process required a phone number, so I could not register - because my phone is associated with my guessandcheckdiscovery.moodelcloud site.  

Next try was just to bring up my guessandcheckdiscovery.moodlecloud site, and act like a dummy student trying to register for my course.  Didn't work as the computer realized it was me and tried to get me to log.in to my account.

So how does on test her or his own account from some remote computer?

by Rick Jerz -

Mary might know more about this, let's see.

I would have used the Library phone number.

You can only log into you moodle as a student if you have the enrollment key for the course of interest, or if the administrator (meaning you) manually creates an account for the student.  How did you try to "register?"

To experiment, you should go into your moodlecloud account (as administrator), and then create a new student for yourself.  You will need a unique email address, but I think you can fake one.  Then add this student to a course, and finally log in as the student.  You can do this as much as you want with fake email addresses.  But realize that your moodlecloud course might try to email something to the fake student.  In my case, I have around a dozen or more email addresses, so I can use any of these for testing.  I bet you have at least a half dozen (you might need to remember.)  If not, create several gmail and/or yahoo email addresses for yourself.  Make sure to write everything down so that you can remember.