Enrol in a different group / launch enrol page?

Enrol in a different group / launch enrol page?

by Stefan Schoch -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi there,

I'm using detailed course-descriptions so that not logged in users can find valuable information about each course on the startpage.
Example: https://integrale-akademie.online/enrol/index.php?id=19

Now I have want to create courses with different levels of content depending on the grup the user belongs to.

People shall be able to enrol themselves for free into a group with restricted access to the course material. If they like the course, they shall be able to enrol (with a different group-enrolment-key that they get after giving a donation viy donorbox). 

Given that the groups end the restrictions are set up correctly, that shouldn't be any problem.

The only thing I can't figure out:

How I can launch this page when a user is already enroled in that course?

Each time I call the i.e. the URL: https://integrale-akademie.online/enrol/index.php?id=19, the user is immediately redirected to the cours content-pages.

How can I explicitely call the page with the course-description and enrol-option? Or is there another way for students to self-enrol into a different group?

I already tried to add '?redirect=0' to the URL but that makes no difference.

Thank you for answering!

Stefan 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Schoch

Re: Enrol in a different group / launch enrol page?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Stefan,

You might take a look at these two plugins to see if they can help: The Auto group plugin https://moodle.org/plugins/local_autogroup which puts users in groups based on profile field values and Group choice https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_choicegroup that let's a user choose a group.

I would tempted to use the the Restriction by password plugin https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_password set on the Group choice activity: the user donates and gets the password which then allows them to join the Advanced content group themselves: the password gives you access to the group. It's a possible alternative way to achieve what you need.

I think it is a very clever idea, though, to use the Self-enrol group keys to put users in groups. But, since the user is already enroled, as you see, Moodle won't let them enrol again.

Randy
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Stefan Schoch -

Hey Randy,

thanks a lot for your advice!

I checked out the plugins you mentioned, unfortunately none of them really does what I need.

Choicegroup would be nice if it had an option to require a password to enter a group. I'll reach out to the developer and suggest if this might be an interesting enhancement.

Stefan

by Randy Thornton -
Stefan

Yes, if it had that option is would do just what you need. If a two step process isn't too burdensome, using the restrict access by password would work, but it is an extra step for users.

Randy

by Stefan Schoch -
Didn't test the access by password yet, but I assume I would have to set a password for each single activity or content.

That would indeed be too burdensome for the participants because there are lots of content I'd have to protect this way.

Stefan

by Randy Thornton -
I was thinking you would only need to set the password restriction once per course, on the Group choice activity and not on every section or activity. My idea is that once the user has the password, it allows them to join the the group for the premium content. The rest of the course sections, all the premium content, would be controlled by the a group restriction.

So,

Section 1: Free content, no restrictions
Section 2: a) Instructions on how to pay for Premium content and receive the password
Section 2: b) Group choice activity controlled by password restriction which allows user to join the "Premium" group
Section 3 and on: Premium content controlled by group restriction to the "Premium" group

Perhaps I am not understanding exactly how the course is structured?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Stefan Schoch -
You made my day!!

Now I got your idea. Just tried it out, dies exactly what I need and is easy to use both for me as admin and my students.

Thank you!! 🙏

Stefan

by Randy Thornton -

Excellent! I'm glad that solution worked out for you.