Moodle 3.8.3 reset password emails not sending

Moodle 3.8.3 reset password emails not sending

by Yusuf Abdi -
Number of replies: 7
My mailing configuration is setup correctly, but for some reason not known to me moodle is not sending any password reset emails at all. Forum and Message emails are sent perfectly fine. Has anyone encountered this problem or might know how to fix it? Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yusuf Abdi

Re: Moodle 3.8.3 reset password emails not sending

by Scott Krajewski -
Did you find a solution to this problem? I have a 3.8.3+ build and am experiencing the same problem.

-- Scott
In reply to Yusuf Abdi

by Carlos Rodriguez -
The same happens to me. Moodle 3.9.1.

Only the admin recieves the password reset email. Regular users do not.

Also, everyone can recieve all other emails from Moodle. Including the new account creation, forum replies and so on.

The SMTP settings are correct, even the test email is delivered fine. The emails don't arrive to the SPAM folder, they simply don't arrive at all.
In reply to Yusuf Abdi

by Carlos Rodriguez -
Any luck?

No one here has a solution or hasn't experienced this issue. The weird part is that the other moodle emails are sent except password reset. Also, the admin user CAN recieve it's password reset email. regular users do not.
In reply to Carlos Rodriguez

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
An e-mail not received does not mean it has not been sent!

Whether Moodle has sent you can find in the logs of the SMTP server to which it delivers its e-mail or the recent Moodle versions have a special flag for SMTP. See https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Debugging#Debug_email_sending.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Carlos Rodriguez -
I understand, but ALL other emails are sent correctly from Moodle. It is NOT an SMTP error.

I get forum, replies, new activities, new account creation, account verification email, EVEN password reset email for the admin account.

ONLY the password reset for regular users is not sent/delivered.
In reply to Yusuf Abdi

by Rob Clark -
I'm experiencing this same problem with 3.9.1 with one difference. The email is delayed 20 minutes. Several recent users, including very experienced super-users are having this problem. My crontab runs every minute. I've checked all cron files and scheduled tasks in settings, but haven't been able to find anything causing the delay. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Rob
In reply to Yusuf Abdi

by Carlos Gt -

I had a similar problem on my moodle 3.9 (installed on a Bluehost shared hosting). Some info:

• All users received other emails, such as, new registration notification.
  • The admin user was also able to receive reset password emails.
  • All other users were NOT able to receive the reset password emails at all, not even on spam.

Not sure what was the exact problem, but the "$data->admin" field in the "send_password_change_confirmation_email()" caused the issue for me (the field is used to build the message). I edited the string on my languaje package (Spanish) to avoid the use of the said field:

• I went to Dashboard > Site administration > Language > Language customisation
  • I selected the languaje package > Open languaje pack for editing (this took some time) > Continue
  • I selected "moodle.php" and filter by string identifier: emailresetconfirmation
  • I modified the default text by removing the "{$a->admin}" reference

I also disable the "Cache all language strings" in the languaje setting to see the changes.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)