how to use gradebook to count number of forum posts

how to use gradebook to count number of forum posts

by don hardaway -
Number of replies: 9
I need the gradebook to score my forum based on the number of replies to the topics posted for each student.  does anyone know how to do that.  thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to don hardaway

Re: how to use gradebook to count number of forum posts

by Kent Bergstrom -
This would be a useful tool to understand if we could do this too.
I would be curious if this could be done or another way to tally forum posts.

In reply to don hardaway

by James Robertson -

I would like an "additive" option for forum scoring as well.  If I am not mistaken, at present you can set a possible score (e.g. 25) and score each post, but the gradebook simply averages the score of all the posts/discussions within a forum.  So if a student posts three times and I score the first two 5 and the last one 2, the gradebook will show 4 rather than 12.  With an additive option, it would add the scores, limited by the max value set for the forum.  If that were available, you could simply score each post 1 and the total points would be the number of posts.

My workaround so far has been to turn off forum ratings, create a dummy offline assignment, then use the forum or activity listing in the student profile to check posts and give a score, which I record in the offline assignment.  It works, but it's a lot of manual lookup and entry. 

Has anyone done a hack for additive forum scoring?  Or can anyone suggest how to go about it?

Thanks,

Jim.

In reply to James Robertson

by Michael Penney -
A note on this: but the gradebook simply averages the score.

The gradebook just reports the score the forum module sends it, this needs to be changed in the forum code, and then the gradebook will happily report an additive score.
In reply to Michael Penney

by James Robertson -

Thanks for pointing that out (duh).  I have added both issues (count, additive score) to the bug tracker as a feature request, bug #3942. 

In order to report an average score, the routine is already sequencing through the posts and should just as easily be able to report the highest score, the total score, or the count.  The only real issue would appear to be adding another drop-down along with the numerical scoring drop-down that allows choosing one of these options, with average score the default.

Jim.

by James Robertson -

Actually I guess I could add that capabiltiy myself.  It's easy enough to set up any of the scoring methods.  Can anyone tell me where the drop-down points scale is located?  I don't see it in mod/forum/config.html -- or am I overlooking something really obvious?

Thanks,

Jim.

by James Robertson -
Try starting with mod/forum/mod.html -- just a suggestion that seems pretty obvious blush.

by Dawn Wright -

James

Have you started on this yet? If not, I can ask my programmer to work on it?

In reply to Dawn Wright

by Ger Tielemans -

Isn't the forum calculating the "progressing average"?

If so, I think that is educational the right choice. You are supposted to learn, so 5 5 2 is a bad learning curve. 2 5 5 is much better...  Did you check that?