Determining if a forum has been previously read and rated?

Determining if a forum has been previously read and rated?

by Bob Lee -
Number of replies: 7

Hello, Moodlers

I'm using Moodle with several classes.  In these classes, I have forums/discussions.  I'm using the social constructivist pedagogy in Moodle to allow students to rate each others' forum responses.  I have had several students ask about whether there is a way for students to determine if there are other students' forum postings that have not yet been rated by that particular student.  I know the forum/rating box shows a score rating if the reading student has rated the writing student's work, but the reading/rating student must open the writing student's work to see that box rating.  It would be nice if there was a function in Moodle that would show students exactly which other students' writings have not yet been rated so the reading student could go directly to those and rate the writing students' work.

Anybody know if Moodle can do this?  Does v1.52 do this?  Is there any thought in Moodle creation land of doing this if it does not do this now?

This would certainly simplify students' ratings of other students' work; the database is able to remember that there is a score/rating if one has been made; it would seem a pretty simple addition to have Moodle pop up some sort of notation if the database is showing a zero (0) for a not-yet-rated student's forum/discussion submission.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Lee

Re: Determining if a forum has been previously read and rated?

by warmac - -
sounds like a stupid idea, students rating each other's forums responses ? it's bad enough that people rate each others clothes, looks, intelligence and now posts ? the education system is to blame for having winners and losers and defining as such. hey,here's an idea how about not have any rating system ? a forum response is only a forum response not to be made into anything special. i suppose rating a post is kind of like censoring a post ? i don't think it's a good idea, let freedom of thought be expressed without having to rate everything. rating is far over-rated and there's way too much of it on our society.
In reply to warmac -

by Rob Barreca -
That's why in 1.5.2 you can choose whether or not to enable rating for a particular forum. Maybe in older versions.

I would not call rating "stupid" though, since you essentially just rated Bob's post a 0/10 (or "stupid"/10) and therefore are contradicting the entire idea of your post (letting freedom of thought be expressed without rating).  smile  Rating can be great for some instances since forums have such a wide array of uses.
In reply to Rob Barreca

by warmac - -
yep, you got me there, i did say it was stupid and that could be considered a rating in and of itself tongueout Butt! i said it in conversation which is acceptable to speak freely between two or more people, vs officially giving it a 2 star, 3 star or 5 star thereby making it some level of public conformity or acceptance. Ratings by their very existance give the illusion that something is of value or not when in fact it may not be true. It allows individuals to become trapped in their cubicles often rating based on emotional opinion and without real objectiveness and if you say something nobody likes they can rate it as poor just because they can, this is called (censorship). the education system along with its teachers have become institutionalized like robots teaching out of books and devices instead from their experiences or lack of. I never rate anyone's posts or responses becasue what i think may be different than what another may think therefore it's not right to make anyone's opinion an official rating or acceptance.

That's all i got to say about that...
forrest gump
In reply to warmac -

by Michael Penney -
Well, if you don't want to use ratings, you can just turn them off when you create the forum.

They can ease grading if grading is being used, and serve as a user based moderation system in sites like this one (not to mention little projects like /.smile.

In reply to Michael Penney

by warmac - -
sure it can ease grading and while we are at it, why not just have a student do all teaching that way teachers can continue to sit on their ass doing nothing while getting a paycheck smile excllent idea

I say fire all the teachers in the schools, let the students do all their own learning and while we are at it lets make education absoultely free,

I'm looking forward to the day when technology will replace humans he he, it already is and peoples desire to make things easier is what is going to make it happey yahoo big grin
In reply to warmac -

by Samuli Karevaara -
There are plenty of cases where students rating each others post makes sense. For example, let's say you have a video production course with 10 students. The first assigment might be to produce a script for a short movie. Then the scripts are uploaded as forum posts, and other students can rate the scripts (posts). The best one (from the democratic point of view) will be made into a short movie as a second assingment.
In reply to Bob Lee

by Michael Penney -
Sounds like a good idea to me. It would be great if there was some work to make the forum grading a bit more configurable in other ways such as setting a max grade and allowing ratings to add to it (similar to quiz score weighting).