BEFORE YOU UPGRADE! The original MooTyper 3.9.1 version had an error in the version number! It had one too many zeros in it, so it needs to be fixed before you can upgrade from it or to any other upcoming version. If you know how to use phpMyAdmin, search in the mdl_config_plugins table for field plugin, mod_mootyper, and field name, version. Edit the version and change from 20200070800, to 2020070800. As an alternative, download the following file, unzip it into your site mootyper folder, then visit: <site>/mod/mootyper/fixversionnumber.php: http://www.drachels.com/misc/fixversionnumber.zip
MooTyper is an Activity module. A course admin, manager, or teacher creates the activity and prepares it for use by selecting the keyboard layout and lessons to use. It can be set up to present a series of exercises from a lesson or to present one selected exercise from a lesson as a typing exam. Once set up, students can then start to type the current exercise. When a student finishes an exercise his achievement is saved into a database, so the teacher can then view grades.
The following keyboard layouts are available in this MooTyper release: Arabic, Armenian, Belgium(Dutch), Bulgarian, Croation, Czech, Danish, Dvorak(US), English (UK), English(US), EnglishWKeypad(US), Estonian, French, German(Swiss), German, GermanWKeypad, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, numberKeypadOnly, Portuguese(Brazil), Portuguese(Portugal), PortugueseWKeypad(Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, SpanishWKeypad, Swedish, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Uyghur, and Vietnamese.
You can visit the website URL listed down below, create an account, and try any of the listed layouts. If there is a layout not listed, that you would be interested in trying, please make a request in the comments below, or at the github Source control URL location.
For this MooTyper Version 3.9.5 release, immediately after you upgrade, you may need to go to one of your MooTyper activities and in it's Administration block, click on, Import lesson / KB layout, so you will get versions of all the new keyboard layouts and lessons. Depending on how you do the upgrade, your old keyboard files may be erased. In that case you will get an error that can be cleared by going to Setup for each MooTyper, and select a keyboard layout to use. Old keyboard versions are not necessarily compatible with the styles.css file included in this version. In some cases, this version includes multiple layouts.
Recent New Features - note that the page was getting so long, I have removed previous version, New Features, lists.
- Added a couple of V5 and V6 keyboard layouts.
- Fixed missing link to suspicion check in atchk.php file, that was making both the attempts and checks table to fill up with orphaned entries.
- MooTyper now will allow you to use the Moodle Grade system. Should only be used for Exam mode.
- MooTyper now will allow you to use the Moodle Rating system. Works best for Practice and Lesson modes.
- Mean, Median, Mode, and Range statistics are listed below the grade tables.
Other recently added features:
- Added new security and log events.
- Tweaked some keyboard layouts to ensure proper rendering.
- Added Groups to the View all grades page.
- Added buttons to make navigating between MooTyper pages easier.
- If student does not make any mistakes, the results will show as 0: No mistakes, instead of Undefined.
- Currently, the Actions menu item, Export/edit exercises, is hidden if you cannot edit the lesson of the current MooTyper activity.
- Currently, the Settings button, is hidden if you cannot edit the lesson of the current MooTyper activity.
- Mistake details are shown to the student in real time in the space between the status bar and the text to type.
- Mistake details are shown in the Mistakes column when a teacher, manager, or admin goes to, View all grades.
- Mistake details are shown in the Mistakes column when a student goes to, View my grades.
- Mistake details are included in the Mistakes column of the CSV file when a teacher, manager, or admin selects, Export to .csv.
- The former link, Export to .csv, is now a button.
- New key top text color setting
- New time limit setting that works with all three modes, Lesson, Exam, and Practice
- New required WPM settingthat works with all three modes, Lesson, Exam, and Practice
- Capability to set time limit, precision, and WPM rate to zero, so you can mix-and-match requirements for all three modes
- Added a Cancel button on the Settings page
- Add information regarding time limit, precision, and WPM to, View all grades, View my grades, and csvexport file.
- Fixed a bug that limited Exams to exercise 1
- Added Lesson ID to the link for adding additional exercises on exercises.php page
- Fixed bug that was showing edit and delete icons when the lesson/exercise was NOT editable by the viewing person
- plus a few others
- Added new events for logging exam_completed, exercise_completed, and lesson_completed.
- Started changing various links into buttons.
- New Cancel buttons when editing or adding a new exercise.
- New Cancel button when creating a new Lesson category.
- Some new log events, plus some with more information.
- The statistics bar is now full width to accommodate longer labels in some foreign language that were causing a line break forming three lines of text, instead of the desired two.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing selecting a mode other than the site default mode.
- Added Lesson/Category name just above the status bar, between the Mode and Exercise X of X.
- Made SQL code change so that keyboard layout lists are in alphabetical order in the three places they can be seen.
For any additional information please visit us on GitHub or post in MooTyper's forum topic.