MooTyper is an Activity module. A course admin, manager, or teacher creates the activity and prepares it for use by selecting the keyboard layout and lessons to use. It can be set up to present a series of exercises from a lesson or to present one selected exercise from a lesson as a typing exam. Once set up, students can then start to type the current exercise. When a student finishes an exercise his achievement is saved into a database, so the teacher can then view grades.
For this MooTyper Version 3.3 release, immediately after you upgrade, you need to go to one of your MooTyper activities and in it's Administration block, click on, Import lesson / KB layout, so you will get versions of all the new keyboard layouts. Depending on how you do the upgrade, your old keyboard files may be
erased. In that case you will get an error that can be cleared by going
to Setup for each MooTyper, and select a keyboard layout to use. Old keyboard versions are not necessarily compatible with the styles.css file included in this version.
- Charts have been added to the bottom of both the, View my grades and View all grades, pages.
- New (V3) keyboard layouts are included, with many new characters so that exercises can now include many symbols and combined letters.
- New Dvorak(V3) keyboard layout included.
- New Belgium(DutchV3) keyboard layout included.
- There are now multiple typing modes based on how you set the Continuous typing and Count mistyped spaces, setting:
- Default - both options left blank. Cannot go to the next character until you type the correct one. Mistyped spaces do not count as mistakes.
- Continuous typing selected - Count mistyped spaces left blank. You advance to the next character type with every keystroke, but mistyped spaces are still NOT counted.
- Continuous typing and Count mistyped spaces - Cannot go to the next character until you type the correct one and mistyped spaces count as a mistake.
NOTE: If you are like me and have numerous instances of MooTyper in your courses, you can switch to one of the new keyboard layouts much faster by changing the setting in the database. First go to one MooTyper and import the new keyboard layouts so they are added to the database. Check the mdl_mootyper_layouts table to see what is in the ID field of the keyboard you want to use. Go to the mdl_mootyper, and change the layout field to the ID number of your desired keyboard layout.
For any additional information please visit us on GitHub or post in MooTyper's forum topic.