Panopto resource module
In short, the plugin lets Moodle decide if user is allowed to access video resource, and does background work to provide access to recording on demand. This approach is somewhat simpler than used in official Panopto Block plugin and still secure, but might be not suitable for everyone.
This plugin requires Panopto video platform, which is a commercial software. For more details see https://www.panopto.com/
- This is resource module plugin, not a block, e.g it supports separate groups, availability, completion features.
- Moodle resource module permission is the definitive source of authorisation, e.g. separate groups, availability features, category enrolments are respected.
- Repository plugin makes navigation, searching and choosing the right video easier.
- No need to maintain a separate folder per course in Panopto and sync enrolled users for folder access.
- Any video can be added to course irrespective of its location in Panopto folder structure as long as teacher who adds it has editing or publishing rights.
- Moving video to different folder will not break access, access is granted to video, not to folder.
- Same video can be used in different courses, no need to duplicate it and place at different folders.
- Does not clash with manual permissions allocation via Panopto interface, you can grant user access manually to folder or video if required.
Use-case and a word of caution
At Lancaster University, Panopto is used for automated lecture recordings, but Panopto is not the main point for accessing recorded videos by students. In other words, students are always accessing video recordings through Moodle. If you are using Panopto as main video hosting platform and you expect students to see folders that are matching Moodle courses (like when Panopto Block is used) this plugin will not provide that functionality.
Installation and Configuration
This plugin requires Panopto repository plugin to be installed and configured, it is using it for navigation through directory tree on Panopto side and other API calls.
For details on plugin configuring and how to link it with Panopto, please refer to documentation.