What does this plugin do
The debate is a moodle activity which allows students to debate on a given topic inside moodle.
It is a usual activity in any face to face class that moderators or teacher or even employees are divided into group and
they are asked to give their opinion or debate on a given topic. This plugin is the approach to take that whole scenario inside moodle.
Adding a debate activity is simple, just the usual way, go to the course, turn editing on
and add the activity.
A debate activity will have three parts:
1. A name of the activity (a usual moodle activity name)
2. The topic of the debate (the actual topic where the users will debate on)
3. Activity description, a usual moodle field where you can upload pictures or other descriptions which can be viewed
on either of the course page or the debate page or both. There is a checkbox while adding or deleting a debate
instance allows to set up this feature.
Debate activity also allows you to control the response from the users. There are the following
options available when it comes to accepting response from the users:
1. Unlimited response - users can add as many positive and negative response as they want.
2. Allow one response on one side - only one response is allowed on any one side, either positive or negative.
3. Allow one response on each side - allow anyone to the response either on the positive or negative side.
Debate allows the control of activity completion of the module, these are the types of completion you can use:
1. User viewing the debate activity (and/or)
2. User submitting the required number of debate responses
(for example, the user will have to submit 2 responses to complete this module)
Debate logs all types of activities inside the debate instance, the following events are logged in moodle log:
1. Visiting a debate instance
2. Adding a debate instance
3. Updating a debate instance
4. Deleting a debate instance
The debate also introduces capabilities for users and other roles inside a course, these are capabilities available:
1. Add a new debate instance: allows users to add a new debate activity inside the course
2. View debate content: View the debate page where the actual debate will happen
3. Delete any debate response: Allows moderators or teachers to delete debate responses from users
4. Delete own debate response: Gives the user the capability to delete their own response
5. Update own debate response: Gives the user the capability to update their own response
This is the very first version of this plugin, please keep giving your ideas to make this
plugin better for everyone. Features coming soon:
1. Live update of the debate responses by other students or users, means the page will keep
adding responses without refreshing or reloading the page.
2. Teams in the debate, means you will have the ability to create teams from the enrolled users of the course.
3. UI update with transition and UX update for some features.
4. Support for global search
5. Support for Moodle mobile app
6. Unit testing support
7. Grading for the user responses
8. Like and dislike for responses
9. Report inappropriate response
Please let me know if you think any of these should be prioritised.
Any type of contribution, suggestions, feature request is welcome.
Please create an issue in GitHub to discuss before doing a pull request.