Blocks: Level up!
Our website dedicated to Level up! is here.
Please support this plugin: add it to your favourites, star it on GitHub, or purchase the add-on!
Level up! is GDPR ready and conforms with the API requirements recently added to Moodle (requires Moodle 3.3.5, Moodle 3.4.2 or greater).
Moodle Mobile app support is available for Moodle 3.1 and greater through Level up! Plus.
Feature request and bug reports
Please report the issues you find, problems you experience or any feature request on the issue tracker. Thanks!
- Automatically attributes points to students for their actions
- Block that displays current level and progress towards next level
- Report for teachers to get an overview of their students' levels
- Notifications to congratulate students as they level up
- A leaderboard to display the ranking of the students
- Ability to customise the number of levels, the points they require and their appearance
- Total control over the points earned per action
- Unlock content when a certain level is reached
- Experience points earned per course, or for the entire site
- Support for shortcodes to include in content
Level up ! Plus add-on features
Purchasing the Level up! Plus add-on unlocks these features:
- Mobile app support
- Activity completion support
- Course completion support
- Resilient cheat guard
- Limit learners rewards in time frame
- Additional default level badges
- Substitute experience points for other symbols
- Viewing the block on someone's profile displays their level
- Download the report
- Email support
How are experience points calculated?
This block listens to events triggered in Moodle and captures some according to pre-defined rules. It then attributes experience points based on the information contained in the event. For more information about the events, refer to the documentation.
Only the users with the capability block/xp:earnxp can earn experience points. This capability is given by default to students. Also, actions triggered by guests, non-logged in users or administrators are ignored.
The following events are always ignored:
- Events from another context than course or module
- Events having another educational level than participating
- Events flagged as anonymous, e.g. in an anonymous Feedback
The rest is up to you. By default, the plugin comes with a minimal set of rules to attribute experience points to actions, and to ignore some redundant ones. Visit the Rules page in the plugin itself to view or override them.
Note: Repeated actions within a short time interval are ignored to prevent cheating.
How to use one block for all courses?
In order to gather experience points from all the courses a student is participating in, you have to set the admin setting Where are experience points used? to 'For the whole site'. This setting is located under "Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Level up! > General settings". Once set, any block newly or previously added will display the total experience points of your students.
How to unlock content at a certain level?
Use the availability plugin: Level up! Availability.
How to unlock a course at a certain level?
Use the enrolment plugin: Level up! Enrolment.
What are those? Shortcodes can be used in text editors throughout Moodle to include or modify the content. The plugin Shortcodes must be installed to enable them.
Level up! comes with shortcodes display the learner's level badge, their progress bar, or even the leaderboard anywhere you like. Shortcodes can also be used to conditionally display content according to a learner's current level. For a list of available shortcodes and their documentation, please refer to Level up! documentation.