Discussions started by Eoin Campbell

Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I tried downloading and installing Moodle 4.4 this morning from the Zip file https://download.moodle.org/download.php/stable404/moodle-4.4.zip, but encountered an error that MariaDB version 10.6.7 is required, as specified in admin/environment.xml (see screenshot below). However, I then downloaded the Windows installation file Moodle installer package for Windows. It has a different environment.xml file which only requires MariaDB 10.4. The Release Notes specifies MariaDB 10.6.7, but the installation worked OK for me on 10.4, although I haven't tested it in operation very much.

This is either a bug in the Moodle installer package for Windows, or an error in the documentation.

image.png

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
A student has encountered a strange problem in a course, where they see an "Expired" label on an assignment, see screenshot below. I can't figure out why this message is appearing, or even where it is coming from. The student is properly enrolled on the course. The assignment is visible to a group, but the student is a member of the group. I tried removing any cut-off date, granting an extension, and re-opening the assignment, even though he never submitted, but it made no difference. The assignment allows for unlimited submissions. I tried duplicating the assignment but it appears in the duplicate, so I created a new assignment from scratch, and that resolves the immediate problem, but is a nuisance for grading and course completion.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? 

A while back, I released the Microsoft Word file Import/Export (Lesson) plugin, which supports importing a Word file into a lesson activity. Each section of the Word file (delimited by a "Heading 1" style) is imported into a separate page in the lesson. This is quite a quick way to populate a lesson with most of the required content. After import, you can change the default sequential page order to whatever you need.

At present, question pages cannot be imported directly into lessons, however, the most recent version of the Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Question Format) allows questions inside Word tables to be imported into a lesson using the "Import question" facility (see screenshot below).

Moodle 3.9 introduced a new feature to allow images to be pasted into the Atto text editor (cf. https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Images#Copying_and_pasting_an_image). It works when using a modern Firefox browser. In the general case, it seems to work. However, when a student pastes an image into an Essay question in a quiz, that image is not displayed when the student reviews the quiz attempt. It is also not displayed when the lecturer manually grades the Essay question. The text of the students answer is displayed, but not the image. Below are screenshots showing a pasted image when editing the Essay question in the quiz attempt, and the view when the student subsequently reviews their attempt. This YouTube video also shows the issue: Pasted Images Don't Display in Moodle 3.9 Essay Quiz Question Review. This seems like a bug to me.

Screenshot of student with a pasted image in an Essay question attempt.

Above is a screenshot of a student attempting an essay question. The image has been pasted.

Student review of essay question attempt. The pasted image is not displayed.

The above screenshot shows the student view when they review their quiz attempt. The pasted image is not displayed.