Total grade not showing

Total grade not showing

by stuart gillett -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

I am new to this forum. The 'grades' page looks different and although each assignments mark appears I cant work out how to get a total for all assignments to display in the last column.

In reply to stuart gillett

Re: Total grade not showing

by Martin O'Mahony -
I just upgraded from 1.8.4+ to 1.9+ and am facing the very same problem.

All the aggregation totals only list a "-". sad

I've had a look at the tutorial (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Gradebook_1.9_Tutorial), still it seems to me like totals should be displayed by default without resorting to "Strategy 2" - which BTW didn't work, either.
In reply to Martin O'Mahony

Vast: Re: Total grade not showing

by Jani Lemmetyinen -
I have also facing same problem at one of our customer sites. Site has upgraded from 1.8.4 to 1.9. No course totals are shown. I'll make these unit tests ASAP.
In reply to Jani Lemmetyinen

by Jani Lemmetyinen -
I just added this to Moodle Tracker: MDL-14059

(Edited by Martin Dougiamas - original submission Wednesday, 26 March 2008, 05:06 PM)

Re: Vast: Re: Total grade not showing

by Martin O'Mahony -
Thank you so much for your help!

I just added our grade_items table to the tracker as requested by Petr.

Unfortunately I tried all this on our productive Moodle system (i.e. real students and real grades), thus I couldn't just dump our entire db. sad

by Martin O'Mahony -
Stuart, could you try the unit tests (admin->reports->unit tests) to see if you get a similar output as I do?

see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=93371
In reply to Martin O'Mahony

by Jani Lemmetyinen -

by Richard Ackland -

We are having the same problems on our site. Bascially everything seems to work, except the grade letter calcluation where we get an "-".

We are Moodle 1.9+ (Upgraded from 1.8.4) running on a WIndows 2003 server with Apache and MYSQL.

I am happy for someone to have a look at this if they can not reproduce the fault. 

by Nicolas Connault -
Thanks for your test data, it will help us to solve this issue. We're looking at it right now! smile
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Susan Mangan -
Ditto with our system - upgrade from 1.8.4 - 1.9. Some grade totals do show but most do not. Course upgrades defaulted to weighted mean of grades for courses that did not have categories, so by changing the setting to 'simple ..' the totals appeared. For others with category weights brought over with the upgrade, I added weights to the items themselves and the totals then appeared. Haven't quite figured out why some displayed and some did not but I can report back when I figure it out? Or are you past this already ....

I added my comment to the bug tracker yesterday - whoops, was I not supposed to and just add it here?? Please let me know the 'protocol' for future comments on reported bugs.

Thanks!! .. and good luck with the fix!! (we have a fairly large dataset so anything I can do to help please let me know)

by Richard Webb -
I know I'm late to the party, but I had the same problem and discovered a solution.

My problem stemmed from using "Use Weighted" as my method to determine the final grade. This choice of "Use Weighted" (called weighted mean in Moodle 1.9) only applied when tabulating the final grade. All assignments within a category were aggregated using the "Simple Weighted Mean" method.

During conversion from Moodle 1.8 to Moodle 1.9, the "Use Weighted" choice was used to set both the category and the assignments to "Weighted mean", resulting in Moodle trying to calculate a weighted mean with no weights. Thus a category average of "-".

My solution is to use the following SQL command on the database immediately after updating to Moodle 1.9 (that is, before anyone has applied any of the new and powerful features):

UPDATE `mdl_grade_categories` set aggregation = 11 where depth != 1;

This will convert aggregation method to "Simple Weighted Mean" for all assignments (and sub-categories, but sub-categories didn't exist in Moodle 1.8) while leaving the method for final grade aggregation what it was set to in the database conversion process.

Hope this solves some problems!

Richard
In reply to Richard Webb

by J S -
Mine was fixed by deselecting "Aggregate including subcategories" in the Main category(top level). Many of my sub-categories use simple weighted grading.