Problem with Excel export

Problem with Excel export

by mary sams -
Number of replies: 1
Hi all,
I wonder would anyone be able to help me (and apologies in advance if I'm not explaining the problem coherently enough ;). I'm using Moodle 1.8.7 and am having a problem trying to export the figures in my Gradebook to Excel.

I wanted to use icons on the homepage of my programme to link to the different elements (scorms, quiz etc), rather than using the standard linear layout on the homepage.

To do this I have set my programme up with two topics. Topic 1 has icons that link to my programme content and a quiz. Topic 2 is where I added the actual resources. I linked the icons in topic 1 to the URLS of my quiz etc. then went into the course settings and reduced the number of topics to 1 again, effectively hiding topic 2 from the user. To access the scorm or the quiz, the user clicks on the appropriate icon in topic 1.

The grades from the scorm and the quiz are all reading to the gradebook perfectly but when I try to export the grades to Excel/text/ODS file, I get a list of the users names but in the totals column I get a series of zeros. If I go back into the course settings and change the number of topics in the programme to 2 again (thus showing the topic with my scorms and quiz in it), the export works fine.

Is there anything that I can do to make the gradebook export work, whilst still being able to 'hide' the second topic from the user using the course settings?

(If I can't resolve this, I may use the 'hide this topic from participants' option and try to find a way to get rid of the text that shows 'not available' to the student).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Mary
In reply to mary sams

Re: Problem with Excel export

by Steve van Ommen -
Hi Mary,
I haven't struck this problem myself, but just a few ideas for what they are worth -
  • Try upgrading to a later version
  • Skip using Excel altogether and just use the Moodle backup
  • Create a macro that does the following three steps : unhides topic 2, exports the gradebook to Excel and then "re-hides" topic 2. (Macros are just recordings of any processes you routinely carry out on your computer. MacroScheduler is a good one - there are plenty of others.
  • I believe that from 1.9 on you won't get the 'not available' to student, if in settings you reduce the number of topics displayed.
Good Luck!
Steve