Rubric

Rubric

by Dale Quattrin -
Number of replies: 62
Is there a way to associate a set of rubric elements with individual grades to an assignment that can then be automatically graded as a total points/average/etc? An example might be an essay that has rubric components (e.g., spelling, grammar, sentence clarity, etc.) each with a set of point/grade values. Moodle then would take these categories and arrive at a grade for the assignment.

I am using 1.8 but there is rumblings to move to 1.9.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dale Quattrin

Re: Rubric

by John Isner -
Vote for MDL-795.
In reply to John Isner

by Dale Quattrin -
I went to that location but could not figure out how to vote. How does one do that?

by John Isner -
Click the login link (upper right-hand corner of page). Then click "Sign up for an account." It's too bad that moodle.org and tracker.moodle.org don't have a single sign-on.

by Gary Anderson -
Dale:

When you move to 1.9, you will find that there is a feature called outcomes that can be used as rubric elements.

Of course, many of us put our rubric breakdown in our feedback to an assignment, but I assume you want something more than that.

A third option would be for a developer to make a special assignment type that has rubric elements, but that would involve some custom programming.

Good luck,

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Dale Quattrin -
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I can hope a programmer will grab the ball and run.

by Ger Tielemans -

I still hope that someone creates a grade-mechanism *), build on top of several scales.

Another workaround In the meantime:

• Place an activity in a section "on top", we call it here A
      • Place several off-line activities (the B's) with one or two tabs in the outline view under that A (like here)
      • create a scale for each (B) "off-topic" activity
      • explain the user that the final grade will be based on the scales on the B level.

*) A propos: constructing a good Rubics grade is not that simple: realise that in Rubrics the scales are NOT-scalair, but only ordinal, so summarize the scores on the B-level to get the final grade on A level is not possible anyway.

...you must look at the quality impressions along the several dimensions on B level, place your independent ordinal scorings in the B-scales,  then judge with a birdeye view, and place your human final ordial in the grade slot on A level...

by Spencer Creasey -
I have implemented a fully-operable addition to the assignment module that allows for the use of rubrics. It integrates into 1.8.3 at the moment, however, I will be only releasing a 1.9.x version.

See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-795

This has not yet been contributed for beta testing or the like, but should be shortly (weeks). This project has been initially funded and it is my hope that it will be accepted and continually supported by the Moodle community.

I will be posting any changes in the project and it's status here.

- Spencer
In reply to Spencer Creasey

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Spencer - Thanks for the heads up on the code. I've added myself as a watcher to the referenced tracker issue. When you are ready to share it with the community just upload it there and I will take a look at it and see if we can get it into CONTRIB. In the meantime, I would encourage you to take a look at the Guidelines for Contributed Code page. Let me know if you have any questions. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Michael Flahive -

How do we get hold of the marking rubric plugin? We are interested in using it soon.

Mike

by Spencer Creasey -
Moodle 1.9

I have released a beta version of this assignment replacement here:

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1642

This contains a link to features, screenshots, and an install.

For the moment, please leave any bug reports & feature requests here.

Thanks!

by Richard Webb -
I installed this on my test server last night and it appears to be working like a champ. However, when I go to enter grades, there is a fairly long delay (usually around five seconds) while the grading window pops up. Such delay's worry me. Is this an unavoidable delay because of the underlying script initializing, or is this indicative of a problem elsewhere. (Obviously, if it is initialization, it will no longer concern me.)

Thanks,

Richard
In reply to Richard Webb

by Spencer Creasey -
Thanks for the feedback Richard. I'll look into this in the coming weeks. Also, how scaled is your community (ex. about how many users/assignments/grades were you working with)?

Just so everyone is aware, this module will be put into production for the following fall semester, so please let me know if you find any issues, as I will be doing my best to support this throughout the year.

Also, (if you're wondering) the 1.8 version is almost complete.

Spence

by Dan Jeffries -
This looks really interesting as we have courses which use a lot of criteria, and to break those down for staff and students could be very beneficial.

One question - is it possible to change from a points system to a grading system? We award Resubmit, Pass, Merit and Distinction and it would help us to determine a final grade.

Also, would we need to use the Scales option for an assignment alongside this?

Good work :D

Dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Dan Jeffries -
Tried installing this today. Dropped it into the blocks folder for our test site, but can't see anything different in the assignments.

Am I doing something wrong?
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Spencer Creasey -
Yeah, there's instructions around here somewhere, but to install:

1. REPLACE the /moodle/mod/assignment folder with the contents of the assignment archive.

2. Navigate to Notifications link at the top of the Administrator links (logged on as an Admin)

by Dan Jeffries -
Brilliant - got it working thanks smile

Thinking about it, perhaps changing the code to Pass, Merit and Distinction might be too much. We could use 1,2 and 3 as representatives of the grades.

Thanks again
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by ahmet b -
Hi Dan,
I am having the same problem. It seems it did install but I cannot see the rubric anywhere?
how did you find it?
thanx in advance

-ahmet
In reply to ahmet b

by alan murtagh -
hi,
Just to say this looks fantastic but it won't install for me.
I've got moodle 1.93. I install it in the right directory and change permissions to 755 for folders and 644 for files - I go to admin page - try to run it but everything goes blank and I get a message re a corrupted database. I've tried it in a few different installations but it keeps happening.
Would really appreciate it if you have any idea what I might be doing wrong
Many thanks
Alan

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I installed this on my experimental server last week and for the most part it's working great. I do have a couple of issues though when/after grading an assignment.

1. When you click Grade and open a grading window having the rubric to the right of the regular comment window makes for an extremely wide window that will not fit a lot of monitors. I have dual 24 inch monitors (only dual 19 inchers at school) and to keep from having a horizontal scrollbar I typically have to make the grading window over 1600 dots wide. In some themes the rubric comment boxes don't fit and run off the right edge of the theme background. This is in both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

2. In Firefox, once a grade has been given if you go back in to update a grade, the HTML editor layout buttons above the regular comment area do not get drawn correctly. The buttons appear to the right of the teacher name and date instead of below them like it usually does, which means that the format buttons cover part of the rubric. This is repeatable in all of the themes I've tried so far.

I can provide pictures if you don't understand what I have written.

Even with the problems I like the module so much I'm planning to install it on my production server this weekend.

Re: Rubric--use with PHP4

by Richard Webb -
Our production server is running PHP 4.3.9. In trying to install this on the server, I discovered that this mod is not PHP 4 compliant. Sadly, I don't know how to fix the problems even though they are simple. Here are the problems I have found:

1. A number of instances of private functions (this fix I found on the internet, just delete the word private in front of the function).
  2. Three functions assign a value to a variable. The function definitions are:
function enSlash(&$string=''){
function deSlash($string=''){
function deSlash2($string=''){

I tried removing the assignment and making the first line of each function

$string='';

but that resulted in the text for rubrics being lost.

Any help in getting this to run with PHP4 (which, sadly, I can only test on the production server) would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Richard

In reply to Richard Webb

by Richard Webb -
In trying to figure this out, I went back to the complete package without any alterations on my test server with PHP5. In testing, if I enter the obviously nonsense description of ////\\\\''''"""" when creating a rubric, it comes back as ////\\\\\\\\\'\'\'\'\"\"\"\" (see attachment if I wasn't clear). I infer from this that the enslash function is working right, but deslash is having a problem.

I also noted that, at least to outward appearances, simply removing ='' from the function declaration line does not change the operation of the functions.
Attachment rubric.jpg
In reply to Richard Webb

by joe cool -
The function definitions were using default values - which are assigned only if no other value is passed in to the function.

The assignment of a value, even a null one as with quotes containing nothing, to a parameter of a function in the function definition means that IF no value is passed in to the function, THEN the value beside the equal sign (=) is assigned - but if a value is passed in, then the = is ignored, and the passed-in value is used.

When you deleted the = in the definition, between parentheses, and placed the assignment in the function body, (between curly braces { }), the assignment was made ALL the time - even when a value is passed in. This is why the data was deleted.

You could check the input with an if statement to see if no value was passed in, and then, in that case and only in that case, make the assignment to the default value.

by Spencer Creasey -
AL, Richard --

Thank you both for your feedback. I'll be spending some time tonight on the module and will take a look at both sets of issues.

By Sunday night, (I hope) to be releasing a version with several bug fixes.

by Dave Brown -
I posted this over on the General Issues forum and Mary Cooch referred me to here. So I guess that this is a double or cross-post. Any way here goes:

I have installed the plug-on for assignment grading using rubrics by Spencer Creasey (thanks, Richard Webb) and have been hashing my way through how to use it. I seem to be making some progress and have added one assignment using a simple rubric. Turns out to be a little too simple, I need to modify it by adding a field to deduct points for late work but since I've already started using the rubric, I can't modify it. I also need to change the Assignment Type to "Offline Activity". Neither of these changes seem to be possible.

The Rubric plug-in is feature-rich and should work well once I've wrestled it to the mat a couple of times.

Since writing the above post I've tried creating a new rubric based on the previous one and adding a field for deducting points for late assignment. That seemed to be accepted, however, the range of possible late points seem to be taken as positive or ignored. Is there anyway to include a penalty in the rubric design? Is there a way to handle such a penalty outside the rubric?

Update (10/8/08)

by Spencer Creasey -
Everyone,

I thank you all for your patience as I've worked on this -- I've been busy with full weekends and a new job / wife. I've posted a release log and an update tonight. I feel like I've addressed most of the issues brought up on this site as well as the Module page (i.e. PHP4, deductive points, correcting character escaping).

Please let me know if there are any issues regarding this release.

** Note: there is no changes in the database from the first release.

Enjoy!
Spencer

Re: Update (10/8/08)

by Richard Webb -
Just a quick note of thanks! I have successfully installed it on our PHP4 server and everything appears to be working.

BTW, since October 8 is still nearly a month away, I would have been a little less confused if this had been named the 9/8/08 release wink.

Thanks again!

Richard
In reply to Richard Webb

Re: Update ([9]/8/08)

by Spencer Creasey -
Heh... Sometimes I wonder.

I changed the date -- thanks!

by Luuk CARNEL -
Hello Spencer,

I installed your rubric-assignment-module under 1.9.2. without any problem. My students could upload their work, but now I have a big problem with the correction:

I cannot save my grades or my feedback-notes ... Nothing happens !

In another forum I have found the same problem : http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=103138

Could you give us some help ???

Thanks !

Luuk
In reply to Luuk CARNEL

by Luuk CARNEL -
I found the solution myself !
After the enddate of the assignment I changed the option "Enable Send for marking".....and that caused the problem.
Now I have switched off this option and everything works fine !

Thanks for this great module !

by Tony Bandiera -
installed latest copy on 1.9.3 and it works well but I cant delete or edit rubrics once they are in an assignment.
In an assignment I cant change the assessment to grades so that the rubrics is no longer attached to the assignment.
It seems as though the assignment must be deleted first then the rubrics can be edited since there is no longer any attachment.
In reply to Tony Bandiera

by Spencer Creasey -
The expected result is that you should be able to select "NONE: Use single grade" for the rubric field while editing an assignment. However, you cannot yet change this value once the grading of submitted work has begun.

Changing the grading between a rubric and a scalar value or editing a rubric while it being used would wreck havoc on the values already stored.

But if you think you found a bug, which what it sounds like you're saying, could you post details of the error, so I could duplicate what you're getting and release a fix. I'd appreciate it.

Obviously this could be implemented, and if there are more requests for this I would not mind coding an update?

- Spencer
In reply to Tony Bandiera

by Tami Bonnett-Admi -
Did you find an answer to this? I like this plug-in, but need a way to delete or edit a rubric before grades have been entered. I can't seem to find it... Thanks so much.

by joe cool -
Great! I love this one, and showed it to an English teacher, who also is excited about it.

I want to report what seems to be a bug, though it can be worked around, and to let people know how to work around it. Let me know if you want me to file a bug report in the tracker.

It seems that making comments without assigning a grade prevents grading later, however.

I found that when I made a comment on the submissions page (.../moodle/mod/assignment/submissions.php) without assigning a grade, and later clicked in the Status column (the link says Grade, or Update) to assign a grade, I saw this message:

There was an error accessing assignment rubric information. Invalid grade (graded=1 assid=236 rubricid=7).

This error did not appear for other sutdents - only the one with the comment. So, to avoid this error in the future, I plan to make comments on the grading form (for a single student at a time) that also contains the rubric info - by clicking Grade (or Update) - instead of saving comments through the page that lists many different students' submissions.

The 2 methods of making comments are different - one is via a page listing all students (where the error came when saving comments without grades), and the other via a page listing only one student (which works if I create both comment and grade before saving).

The page with rubric grading on it seems to not allow skipping grade assignment, however; the default grade is 100%, and something else has to be assigned as a grade to replace the default. Either way, some rubric grade gets assigned, and a grade is saved - unless the cancel button is clicked, in which case nothing - no comment either - is saved. So this page effectively prevents the situation causing the error - saving a comment without saving a grade. There is no way to do this on this page, so the error will not appear here.

It's the other page that allows this, which seems to cause the problem.

by Gautam Saha -
Spencer,
Great work!
One question:
After the teacher finishes grading using rubric, the student sees only the overall grade.
Is it possible for the student to see the details..how much points they got in the individual rubric elements??
thanks again
In reply to Gautam Saha

by David Lawrence -
Hello! Just wondering if this has been implemented yet (students being able to see the completed rubric and not just a letter grade).

I haven't installed the module yet, but if the students cannot see the completed rubric, I'd rather not install.

Let me know please. Thanks!

by Dan Jeffries -
hi!

Just having another play with the Rubric again - great work!

Quick question though - is it possible to edit a Rubric once created? I assume it is but I can't seem to see any edit buttons.

Thanks!

D

by Jeroen Kleijn -
Spencer,

I have installed the module as described
When I signed on to our moodle as an administrator, immediately the database installation information appeared. The status was ok (there was no continue button). When I went to the notification screen in the admin section there is a BLANK SCREEN AND IT HANGS !!!! (in the admin/index.php)

The module seems to work!

Do you have any suggestions how to solve this?
  • after rubriced 2 assignments I could not change the assignments (removing the rubric) (if no student's work has been assessed I can stil change)
  • in grades it does not show the grade but only the number of points

regards
Jeroen Kleijn
Bonhoeffercollege
The Netherlands

by Thom Vreeland -
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (I don't see any other posts on this topic) but if a student accidentally clicks the 'Send for Marking' button, I am unable to revert back to draft status. I click the button in the grading window but it just reloads the same grading window with no change. I've tried as teacher and the moodle admin. No luck!

I started looking at the unfinalize() function in assignment.class.php file but didn't see anything that make me suspicious.

The assignment I'm dealing with has up to 4 uploads possible and is using a rubric for grading.

Anybody come across this behavior?

Right now I'm emptying the data2 field in the database myself but, obviously, prefer not to so that other teachers might decide to use this too...
In reply to Thom Vreeland

by Mark Brand -
Wish I had more time to tinker with this, but: I see that the "Revert to draft" button is actually a form within a form.  The behaviour in this case is undefined - in IE7 and Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 it submits to "submissions.php" (the action attribute of the outer form tag), instead of the intended "upload.php" (the action attribute of the inner form tag).  This, I believe, is why nothing happens.  Given the time, I'd want to compare this with the non-rubric "submissions.php".  I'm guessing the addition of the rubric accounts for the outer form?  If some time suddenly falls into my lap, I'll certainly take a bash at it... but someone who knows the module might get there a lot quicker?  I love this module, though - students really respond to the transparency (thanks, Spencer!).  Even got it to play with the uploadpdf type, if anyone's interested, which is why I need to be able to "revert to draft".
In reply to Mark Brand

by Nigel Pegram -

I have had a bit of a look at this. The core problem seems to be that in the main form the mode is being set to two different values in the same form. If you inspect the form the DOM inspector in firebug shows mode as an array of two values, "single" and "grade"   (see attached screenshot).

The "single" value seems to be passed when the "Enable Send for Marking" option is set, which results in a reload of the form, losing all changes.

I don't know if Spencer is still updating this, since it doesn't work with Moodle 2+, either, but I'd be happy to cooperate on a solution.

Anyhow I'll be looking for any sort of solution and will keep you all posted.

In reply to Nigel Pegram

by Nigel Pegram -

Hello again everyone.

I have a work-around for the "Enable Send for marking" bug which is fairly simple to install. I haven't tried to rewrite the code generating the form, which seems to be part of the problem. Instead I have taken things as they are and added some extra logic in the submissions.php file.

Installation:

• Go to the mod/assignment/ directory in your Moodle installation.
  • Back up your existing submissions.php file (so you can roll-back if you have problems). For example, rename submissions.php to submissions.php.orig.
  • Install the attached file submissions.php.
  • Finished! The new file will be used automatically.

All the changes are in one place at the end, so you can easily see what I've done.

On my test site, with Moodle 1.9.9 and Rubric 9-08-08 everything seems to work now with "Enable Send for marking" turned on.

In reply to Nigel Pegram

by jeremy iverson -

Hi Nigel-

Do you know if there are any plans to make this module compliant with Moodle 2.0+ or is that prospect an imposibility?  I am anxious to upgrade to Moodle 2.0 as some of its new key components are attractive, but I really like the features of this module for grading.

Thanks!
-Jeremy

In reply to jeremy iverson

by Nigel Pegram -

Hi Jeremy,

Unfortunately, I have no idea.

I too looked at migrating to 2.0, but encountered the same issue. For me it was more important to have the module working ASAP, so I just quickly sorted the bugs and made the decision to stay with 1.9 for now. The migration will not be as easy as the bug fix as I'm new to Moodle programming, so have to learn the specifics of their libraries.

I will look at migrating to 2.0 later (where I plan to stamp out the bugs I've already identified), but at the moment have to prepare lectures for three subjects by the start of semester, so am pressed for time.

I haven't had any response from the rubric team, so I don't know what their plans are.

Regards,

Nigel

Re: Rubric (help)

by Gabriela Bejarano -
Hi, I´m from Costa Rica and I use Moodle at my work.

I have installed the mod, and the database updated successfully...but when I try to use it, I have this error:

You don't have permission to access /moodle/mod/assignment/rubric/mod.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

any help or suggestions (please)

thanks
In reply to Gabriela Bejarano

Mining Data from Rubric

by Lessell Bray -
Hello All....
I am in need of a way to collect and report portfolio data to my institutional and I have looked at a number of solutions and this seems to be the best one for collection.

However I need to get data out of Moodle that is more detailed than the final grade for the assignment. I have looked at the tables behind the scenes but can not quite figure out how they are linked so that I can do a bit of very simple coding on my own.

Does anyone have a fairly straight forward solution for downloading getting the data out of moodle and perhaps into an excel spreadsheet?

Thanks!
Marty

Rubric updated for 1.9.11

by Steve Clay -

I noticed that the rubric plugin files were based on the 1.9.2 (or close to that) release. When we were upgrading to 1.9.11 I was able to carefully merge in all the changes made from 1.9.2 to 1.9.11 in the underlying assignment mod. Hence I now have a "1.9.11" version of this plugin. Not being a regular user, I don't really know what all changed but it's 3 years of bug fixes!

Our instruction design team is testing this thoroughly tomorrow and if all goes well I'm happy to contribute this back.

I'll probably make a git repo and store commits of the 1.9.2, rublic, 1.9.11 and new rubric so you can see exactly what changed.

In reply to Steve Clay

Re: Rubric updated for 1.9.11

by Steve Clay -

I've placed the repo w/ just mod/assignment on github as moodle-rubric-1.9.

I'll try to keep this updated with new 1.9.x releases.

In reply to Steve Clay

by Trevor Cunningham -
Any momentum toward 1.9.14 and 2.x?
In reply to Trevor Cunningham

by Mike Algozzine -

Has it been confirmed that the latest rubric module is *not* compatible with 1.9.14? I just tried to install the module on a clean 1.9.14 instance and I get the following error when I try to add an assignment:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method MoodleQuickForm_advselect::MoodleQuickForm_advselect() in C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\lib\pear\HTML\QuickForm\element.php on line 363

In reply to Steve Clay

by Brian King -

Hi, 

I've merged in the changes between Moodle 1.9.12 and 1.9.16, the results can be downloaded here: https://nodeload.github.com/brki/moodle-rubric-1.9/zipball/moodle-rubric-1.9.16

I've submitted a pull request for Steve, just a few minutes ago.

Note I'm not offering to take over maintaining this; I just needed to get it working for me, for Moodle 1.9.16 ;).

The changes and process for generating the changes can be found here:

https://github.com/brki/moodle-rubric-1.9/tree/moodle-rubric-1.9.16

In reply to Brian King

by Giovanni Ramos -

Anyone has seen a plugin like this for Moodle 2.X ????  hope someone can help me with this

In reply to Giovanni Ramos

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Rubrics/advanced grading is already available in Moodle 2.2

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Rubrics

Moodle 2.3 will hopefully come with another advanced grading type called "marking guide" which has a few other features too - see MDL-31731

In reply to Giovanni Ramos

by Nigel Pegram -

There is rubric functionality in 2.2. I haven't played with it yet, so I can't say how effective it is. It's on my to-do list.

Nigel

Problema con el botón "siguiente" en calificacion de rúbricas

by Luis Diego Araya -

Hola, tenía un problema para que el botón "siguiente" en la calificación de las tareas funcionara, pero logré corregirlo, agrego el archivo corregido estos son los cambios que hice.

en el archivo de rubricas en la ruta \mod\assignment\lib.php se modificaron las siguientes lineas.

En la línea 902 se eliminó

echo '<form id="submitform" action="submissions.php" method="post">';

En la linea 918 se agregó

echo '<form id="submitform" action="submissions.php" method="post">';

En la linea 1001 se modificó

echo '</div>';

por

echo '</div></form>';

En la línea 1003 se comentó

//echo '</div></form>';

En la línea 1026 se modificó

echo '</table></form>';

por

echo '</table>';

Problema en mas de 30 items en una rúbrica Moodle 1.9.19

by Luis Diego Araya -

Hola, quería comentarles que tuvimos un problema con rúbricas que tenían mas de 32 items, con PHP 5.3.3, vi que era por un módulo de PHP llamado suhosin, Modifiqué el parámetro suhosin.get.max_vars  cuyo valor está en 100, lo pasé a 500 y me permitió agregar más rúbricas.