Removal of 'People' Menu

Removal of 'People' Menu

by Ntri Kate -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,

I'm attempting to use moodle for a bookclub for children. For safety's sake, I don't want their private information showing up in the course profiles. Is there anyway to remove the People menu (upper left hand corner) through configuration settings - or will I have to remove it from the php file itself? I'm also hesitant about using Forums, but I think I've managed to figure out how to not include them for now. But I dont see any settings for the People menu.

TIA,

Gwen
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ntri Kate

Vast: Removal of 'People' Menu

by Antti Immonen -
What version of Moodle do you have? In version 1.3 you can hide or remove also "people" box. Earlier version need some sort of hacking.
Antti
In reply to Antti Immonen

Re: Vast: Removal of 'People' Menu

by Ntri Kate -
Hi,

Thanks, Antti. I have version 1.2.1...so I will download the latest version smile

Gwen
In reply to Ntri Kate

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

I also like the idea of removing the Participants link for privacy issues in particular instances.  For example, I have a course set up where people can go to get extra help using the Dialogue module, etc.  This would be similar to having, say, a generic Tutoring course.  It would be nice to hide the Participants link so users do not know who else is getting the extra help. 

The problem with hiding the People block is that you are also taking away the ability for users to Edit their profile.  Does anyone know a way around this? 

In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Removal of 'People' Menu

by Ray Lawrence -

I'm probably missing something obvious here but....thoughtful if your clients are accessing a Dialogue in a course with other activities, how do other participants know they are engaged in a dialogue? (does it show in recent activity? Not had it installed for a while so can't remember).

If the dialogue is the only constituent of the extra help course, could you remove the people block - plus any others which reveal activity - the profile could still be accessed and edited in the other course.

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Matt Riordan -

Hi Chardelle,

What we have done here is have students create a name as a letter and number (i.e. D for first name and 78 for last name). The letter is the first letter of the teacher's name, and the number is either assigned by the teacher or made up by the student and communicated to the teacher. I know this is not a work-around for everyone, but it has worked well here for classes where the teachers wanted anonymous postings (with the hope that the students would be more open).

In reply to Matt Riordan

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Thanks for all of the replies.  And yes, all will work if you want to Hide the Participants block:

1.  If a user is enrolled in a course other than the one you want to be "anonymous", they can access Edit profile from there.

2.  If not, you can give them instructions to click on their name to go to their profile.

3.  Users can create anonymous accounts. 

And, of course, you want to hide the Recent Activity and Online Users blocks also since they show "user info."

I kiss 1.3.