Can't create new account, can't edit users

Can't create new account, can't edit users

by Valerie Williams -
Number of replies: 18

Okay, my installation seemed to be working okay until I tried to create a new account as if I were a user. It allows you to enter the info on the screen, but when you hit "create account" it just keeps coming back to that page, and the account is never actually created.

Also, I have successfully created users via the Admin screen, and can assign them as teachers, but then when I try to edit those users, it says "no users found."

Please advise.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Valerie Williams

Re: Can't create new account, can't edit users

by Valerie Williams -

Hello again. Any chance I can get some help on this issue?  I have no idea why it's not working. I'm a complete novice with PHP, so am stumped. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Valerie

by Remie Woudt -

Hello Valerie,

I have the same problem.

But it seems like a client side problem. When I go to Moodle from my home internet account I am able to log in and to add users. Also when I'm at my office it's no problem. But when I'm loggin in with one of the students computers the screen refreshes en nothing seems to happen. I can't login as myself but I also cannot add new users. If anyone has a solution, please help. We are still searching and if we find the answer I'll let you know.

In reply to Remie Woudt

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Please check to see if you are running a security product like ZoneAlarm or Norton Security which might be blocking your browsers from sending referrer information.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Remie Woudt -
The problem is in the proxy server of our internet provider. Loggin in at the students computers we make use of another provider then at the other places. By disabling the use of that proxy for our Moodle site we are able to work around this problem en things are working fine. This must be set in every cliënt computer we use for working with Moodle. Our provider is now checking his proxy server because he is the main privider for all the schools in the Netherlands. So I hope that in the future it won't be neccasary to change the cliënt side settings.
In reply to Remie Woudt

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry to hear that.

Future versions of Moodle will remove the reliance on referrer information being sent by the browser (bug 295).

by Walter Balser -

I have a similar problem.  When I go to add users, the username field is blank or it says 'changeme', yet there is no form field.  It just shows up as text.  Also, there is no formfield for adding a password to the user.  Thanks,

Walter

In reply to Walter Balser

by Martin Dougiamas -
This is probably because you are using external authentication of some kind, and you shouldn't be able to add new users at all.

It's actually a bug that the "add user" link is still active - I'll fix that now.

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Actually this would be a step backwards from our point of view.  We have hacked our Moodle installation to simultaneously use two different forms of authentication: local passwords and popmail authentication.  Just now we are thinking of adding ldap authentication to the mix.

Our main form of authentication is via popmail, as this is the only form of university-wide authentication.  We also need local passwords for several reasons.  For instance we plan to host some secondary school classes, whose students don't have university accounts. Also the popmail server is not altogether reliable: when it is busy it refuses connections for 5-10 minutes.  So when popmail authentication succeeds, the popmail password is cached as a local password.  We are now planning to add ldap authentication for internal faculty discussions using the passwords for our departmental network (as this would be the form of authentication our faculty would expect).

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Hmm. Things could get quite complex code-wise.

Have you considered just running three separate Moodles?

Offhand I don't see why it has to be so complex.  Our mods to the v. 1.0.8.1 authentication code were very minor, some 5-6 lines of code.  The logic goes like this:

1. Try local authentication first.
  2. If local authentication fails, try popmail authentication.
  3. If popmail authentication succeeds, cache the password as a local password.  Otherwise bail out.

In effect popmail authentication is used only for the initial login.  Subsequent logins are authenticated locally. We definitely need this setup, because of reliability problems with the popmail authentication.

As for the ldap authentication for faculty discussions, sure we could set up a second Moodle server for that.  However I thought it would be good propaganda for Moodle to have it hosted on the same server, so faculty could conveniently explore Moodle courses on the server.

by Martin Dougiamas -
With this method the external authentication is never checked after the first time. This means if the password is changed on the "central" database (ie the external one) then it will never updated within Moodle. This pretty much defeats the purpose of having one password for multiple systems.

The problem in this particular case seems to be with the popmail service (which I realise is probably not under your control).

Even given a perfectly working service, using multiple sources of authentication can lead to problems because the namespaces are not guaranteed to be unique. This leads to some complexities ...

For example, say you were to use POP first, then fall back to local. Say there is a local teacher account called "fred". Later, a new student is added to POP called "fred". When he logs in, his account will overwrite the local "fred" and the teacher's password will be lost.

That said, I agree it would be nice thing, it will just take some work, that's all.

With this method the external authentication is never checked after the first time. This means if the password is changed on the "central" database (ie the external one) then it will never updated within Moodle. This pretty much defeats the purpose of having one password for multiple systems.

Not really.  If the user changes his/her email password on the popserver and then attempted to use the new password on our Moodle, the login would succeed.  The sequence of events would go like this:

1. The login password would be checked locally first.  This would fail because the local password is the cached old password for the pop server.
  2. So the password would be checked with the pop server and would succeed.
  3. This successful login would also update the local password to the new pop password.

Of course the user could still use their old password too, but that would be their choice.

by Martin Dougiamas -
You are, of course, completely right! I was thinking it would stop because the username was found but the password was wrong but of course there is no need for that.

Unfortunately there is still a slight problem with old students who are removed from the POP server - their accounts continue to work on Moodle.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Just thinking about this ... the problem might be solved if you could specify an "ageing" parameter for the cache. If lastlogin is > x days then ignore cached password.

by Walter Balser -

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info.  I tried to run the authentication (/admin/auth.php), but it's coming up as a blank page.  Can't figure it out.  Thanks,

Walter

by Walter Balser -

Hi Martin,

Is there someething in the code that I can change manually--since auth.php is not working---so that the authentication just checks through moodle.  This is a bit confusing for me, since the previous versions didn't do this.  Thanks,

Walter

by Debbie McDonald -
Did you get an answer to your blank page proglem...I'm having same problem trouble
In reply to Debbie McDonald

by abdalwaged alkilany -

I install moodle on windows server 2003 on local server in my lab and when I try add new user it gave me blank white page , so what can i do , it didn`t make this problem   when I worked with moodle on win xp