select theme problem

select theme problem

by Rakhshanda khan -
Number of replies: 8

Hi, I am working on course in moodle 3.0. and new to moodle. I have been trying to change the theme. I went through  site adminitration> appearance > themes > themes selector and got a theme selected by default or through config.php (sorry I donot know what technical term should be used). I want to change theme. I have searched online and found something a method  "copy config-dist.php to config.php" . I donot know the procedure. Could you please guide me how to change theme? (need procedure).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rakhshanda khan

Re: select theme problem

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Rakhshanda, you dont touch config.php once you've got Moodle installed and working.

to use theme, you have to install theme first, then it will be available in your Moodle after installation.

so, in few steps:

1: you upload the theme to your host

2: unzip the theme in moodle/theme directory

3: log-in as administrator and it will detect new plug-in (theme) and depending upon if there are any additional requirements for the theme to be installed, it will tell you to install prior to theme installation

4: you run theme installation wizard

5: select the theme from Site Administration > appearance > themes > theme selector

6: Smile! for your moodle has a new look.

in all above steps, we haven't touched config.php or have we?

since last few moodle versions, theme installation and finding underlying requirements have really become easy.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rakhshanda khan -

thank you! I have also checked this option as well. I have downloaded two themes but didn't know where to extract. I haven't downloaded Moodle on my computer, instead I was invited by a group member (signed up and gave us right to administrate site). So Moodle is not on my machine. ( I ask the member she is saying that Moodle is on cloud , it is not downloaded on her computer). I want to download Moodle but donot feel confident that whether it will work with the group.

by Usman Asar -
OK I get it, you arent given access to moodle files, dont worry still there are ways.

There is another solution where you dont have to get access to moodle files.
go to site administration > plug-ins > install plug-ins
you'll find two options

1: install plug-ins from moodle directory
2: upload zip file

You can choose either options, and they are self explanatory. first option will take you to moodle plug-in site and you can go to theme and find option of INSTALL

and 2nd option will let you upload zipped theme files.

Told you installing plug-ins / themes have really become easier in newer moodles, as it will automatically detect the type of plug-in and will send it to appropriate directory. where as in old moodle's you had to specify the type of the plug-in you're installing, not any more.

and just if you're wondering, Themes comes the category of PLUG-INS in moodle.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Rakhshanda khan -

Hi Usman,

When going to the plug-ins option, there are no options for 'install plugin' There's 'local plugins' and 'plugins overview' but no 'install plugins'

by Usman Asar -

Ah! I believe you're on Moodle Cloud, where they don't allow installation of any plug-ins but only default ones.

If you want to test out themes, then only option left is installing moodle locally, and if you want others to access your local installed moodle, then this can be done as well, but slightly complicated process.

Easier would be getting a cheap hosting for trial period and setup moodle there for testing purposes.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rakhshanda khan -

Yes, I have told you that it is on cloud and I think only way to do (if so) through programming. Any way, thanks for your support.

Best

by Usman Asar -

Yes I remember you mentioning CLOUD, but you have specifically mentioned it's on Moodle Cloud free instance. Cloud and moodle cloud are two different things, where you mentioned on cloud, it could have been your own private cloud, and not specifically the moodle cloud. Where private cloud gives you options of anything you want, moodle free cloud dont let you install custom plug-ins, only option left are either getting setup on local PC and letting others in, else paying for private cloud where you are free to do anything you want.

And installing plug-ins via programming isn't something that you would be spending too much time on, as that is not possible.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rakhshanda khan -
I think you are right. I was assuming my partner has installed Moodle on her machine and has set up something. she was not even sure while giving answers to me (neither was i). She told me later that it was not cloud instead Moodle cloud.  Thanks for the answers

Best