Can students save files on Moodle for later retrieval?

Can students save files on Moodle for later retrieval?

by Tim Lamas -
Number of replies: 15
I am trying to make the transition from Blackboard to Moodle. Our district has set up Moodle v. 1.2.1 for us to experiment with and begin using with our students.

I don't seem to find the equivalent of Blackboard's Digital Dropbox where students can save work they have done in class onto Moodle to themselves, not the teacher, and then download the file from Moodle at home so they can continue working on the file at home. Then, of course, they would upload their improved version from home onto Moodle so they can access it again when they return to school.

I have spent many hours just reading through the myriad of Moodle resources but haven't come across the answer to this query in my "travels." Just how does a student accomplish this?

I appreciate the spirit of helpfulness among Moodlers and hope to be able to post answers to other people with questions as I become more familiar with the capabilities of Moodle.smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Lamas

Re: Can students save files on Moodle for later retrieval?

by Ger Tielemans -

The new module eWiki will fulfill all these wishes and more..

Workaround: give students their own forum for that reason. Students can put an answer in a forum and attach a file to that answer and download the attachment at home. Then make a new answer and attach the improved file to that answer. This way you even can see their progress.

Disadvantage: others can take out the file and improve it. Modern didactic approaches invite students to do that, in the past it was called cheating. grijns The timestamp of the answer will show you who's answer it was in the first place. 

(under eWiki you can give them privat pages with attach posssibilities.)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Tim Lamas -
Is the eWiki that you mention the same module listed in the Modules section as Wiki, which is "under development" or is it one that came with the standard 1.2.1 download?

I guess I'm asking you if the "will" in your first sentence means it is under development or available for me to use now.

Thanks for your initial response and your reply to this question!
In reply to Tim Lamas

by Richard Williamson -
I just use an assignment called download for this with a suitably long expiry time and large upload limit. Works fine.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Lamas

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
A real "student files area" where students can upload and manage a bunch of private files is something still under development, but there are a number of options for achieving what you want.

Create an Assignment of type "uploaded file" with no grade ... the file can be downloaded again by the student, and re-uploaded any time.  The added benefit is that the teacher can browse through the current files anytime and offer feedback.  Overall this option has the best interface for students.

You could also create a Glossary where the entries need to be approved by you to be made public ... this means the entries are private to each student.  They can attach files to their entry.

Lastly, remember that students can just email themselves the file, or use a floppy disk.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Dale Jones -
I use the method Martin describes in using an uploaded assignment.  I find this trebly useful:
  1.  It means that our 11-16 pupils do not fill up the webserver space with frivolous hoarding of files that are irrelevant to the course (mp3, games, etc - you know the sort).  If they want to keep crud online they can arrange to buy their own webspace from somebody else (I'm such a meanie);
  2. I can easily find any work they've done and comment on it for improvements they could make, up to the deadline.
  3. Students soon learn to use a versioning system to keep track of their files.
My pupils have taken this on board easily and they often upload a file for subsequent work at home.  Sometimes though, they forget that a) they don't have the correct application at home to work on the file; b) they're on dialup at home and it takes ages to download and re-upload.  Overall though the concept works a treat.
</2d>
In reply to Dale Jones

by Martyn Overy -

Dale,

Apart from this wonderful application we all know as Moodle, there can be a case for lateral thinking here, and looking at alternatives.....or rather additional applications which can complement and live quite happily alongside Moodle. I also need to spread the  demands that Moodle can make on servers. The use of  Open Source within the classroom can also include Content Management Systems, such as Postnuke, and Blogging facilities such as Nucleus, or Movable Type. For collaborative ventures we have already used Movable Type for departments in the school, and multiple accounts can be set up for users.

Of course you can do this the expensive way, and install Manilla, as Peter Ford has done at http://www.schoolblogs.com .  However, I would prefer to experiment in different ways, rather than put all those proverbial eggs into one basket! Oh, and yes, there are some students who would rather present their work on paper ... . Goodness me, whatever next? wink

It could be that, eventually, Moodle will evolve to satisfy the requirements of all. Until that time, if it ever arrives, it can quite easily sit alongside many other applications. Choice needs to be a key feature of any learning activity  smile

In reply to Martyn Overy

by Dale Jones -
I agree entirely about the use of Open Source software - where would this thread be without it?  In our school we use many web-based OS solutions apart from Moodle like phprojekt, gallery,  postnuke, pmachine, etc etc and there's no denying their usefulness in many contexts...but aren't we getting OT here?  This is a Moodle forum after all. My posting was in response to a request for info on a specific Moodle topic.  Sorry if I got it wrong.

In reply to Dale Jones

by Martyn Overy -

As Martin pointed out:

"A real "student files area" where students can upload and manage a bunch of private files is something still under development, but there are a number of options for achieving what you want."

My point then , while this upload facility is not in the form that some users might require, is to highlight other solutions.  Of course I realise this is a Moodle forum, but we should never close our eyes to other possible solutions...  However, once you provide this degree of 'freedom' then effective and continuous monitoring of   the uploads becomes essential thoughtful

http://www.webschool.org.uk

In reply to Martyn Overy

by W Page -
Hello Martyn!

I noticed that "Opus Pro" was used to create the interactive exercises that were demonstrated in "Sample 1" in the article at the North Chadderton School,  Moodle gets even better.....

Do you know if there is an OpenSource program which can do the same thing?

WP1

In reply to Dale Jones

by Dale Jones -
Hmm, good idea. While we spend time deciding on other solutions, we could just use good ole ftp.. we tried it with a select band of "tech-minded" 14 year-olds a short while back was to give ftp access to a personal area in postnuke. Once it was set up it worked OK (another layer of admin sad ) but was little used. Pupils said that they preferred to use the assignment-specific area in Moodle because they "knew where they were" with it and didn't forget where they'd left a file (some had created layers of subdirectories in their ftp area and took ages to find specific file - I suppose if I'd given them a gui ftp front end it might have been easier, but I think that students of this calibre ought to learn CLI interfaces - more choicemixed, more powerbig grin, more curriculum timesad). Keeping it within Moodle also means that it's convenient for the teacher to find the file and make constructive comments to facilitate progress appropriately.

I tried the ewiki module last night, and I love the concept. I had a couple of problems with it but I'm sure I can get over them and I'm looking forward to building a wiki with my students. I'm a while away from creating private wiki areas for them yet, and until the exam boards accept candidates' contributions to electronic fora I think I'm going to stick to uploaded assignments for examination courses.

(Using uploaded files has the essential added advantage that there is always a backup copy of the file Somehere, either "At Home" or "In School" or "Online").

by Paul Duff -

....... and those sites with a Novell network can also use NetStorage to provide web access to students own homedrive areas .......

by Andy Diament -

Hi,

The issue some of my students have had is where a piece of work may include several files of necessarily different formats (e.g. a database and the document which describes it)

Interestingly, I have noticed that if an admin manually copies more than one file into the folder which contains an uploaded assignment, the lecturer is presented with a list of links to more than one file [I assume the code loops throught the whole directory]; unfortunately, the student can't use this to upload and manage several files...

Cheers, Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by Dale Jones -
Hi

>The issue some of my students have had is where a piece of work may include several files of necessarily different formats (e.g. a database and the document which describes it)

I don't know if it helps, but I got round this by giving them an upload for each file I was expecting eg "Upload Database" as one assignment and "Upload Database Instructions" as another. 

HTH

Dale
In reply to Dale Jones

by W Page -
Hello All!

I think there are plans for the MyDMS module (which is being worked on by some hard working Moodle coders) to allow for the option to allow students to upload and download files they are working on.

That forum is located at,
Document Management System (DMS)
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1807

You may want to post your questions there about student files.

WP1