Hidden forums visible in forum view

Hidden forums visible in forum view

by D.I. von Briesen -
Number of replies: 4
I coudn't figure out why a student kept asking about forums that I'd hidden (closing the eye). Turns out all students can see them under the forums only view. I did a search and didn't find a reference here to that- but it would seem like a bug, and I was able to replicate it.

The hidden items seem to show up in the general forums section from the student view, neither dimmed nor hidden. At the same time the instructor view shows them in their original locations (in my case by week) , dimmed.

You can see this if you login as guest to https://secure2.cpcc.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=7

Notice that on the main page the xxx- test forum to see access bug (and several others) are not visible, but when you go to the forums list they are right there.

Open to any and all ideas!
D.I.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

Re: Hidden forums visible in forum view

by Bryan Williams -

D.I.

I count 25 forums that are viewable from course homepage and see 32 listed under Forums Activities link, including the xxx-test forum that should be hidden.  Looks like you got a problem. You can spot these things by going to "Participants" and logging in as any student, while you are logged in as the admin.  This will show you exactly what they see. Might want to check the bug report and see if this is already listed.  I am running 1.3 dev and the problem does not occur, so that may mean it has already been fixed. 

If you would just have consulted that elderly gentleman who is the course facilitator, he probably could have given you the answer. big grin  You better watch it kid, you're gonna look like that in a few years. Take my word for it.

Bryan

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi D.I., perhaps:

this.discussion.equals(that.discusion); big grin

Seriously, it seems to be Bug 1209 and it was fixed and closed 5 days ago.

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by D.I. von Briesen -
Eloy- you are spot on- and interestingly that.discussion was indeed my TA Jean- who probably posted it at my request- and then I forgot I requested it. I need to fix my memory.

But other than trying random searches, how does one effectively see if an issue has already been addressed? Read all the bug reports regularly?

d.i.

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
But other than trying random searches, how does one effectively see if an issue has already been addressed? Read all the bug reports regularly?

Just reading every post in every discussion in every forum? big grin

No, both discussions were created at the same time and I simply remember the other... Anyway, trying some searches is a good approach. wink

Ciao smile