Flash Cards: How to import glossary vocabulary

Flash Cards: How to import glossary vocabulary

by john mcgarvey -
Number of replies: 3
Ray,
Great module. I am excited about using the vocabulary words that my students have created in the glossary with the lesson module. I was under the impression I could create a flash card lesson and then import these terms from the glossary.

Lesson Moduel Config:
Max number of answers 2
Max attempts 4
Action Show an unanswered page
Number of Cards 0
Students retake Yes

Now on the next screen at the bottom there is button to import the questions. What format is the glossary in when I create an exported file and how do I get it into a format that the lesson module will understand.
I get an error that says no question in the file.

Thanks for your tips.
John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to john mcgarvey

Re: Flash Cards: How to import glossary vocabulary

by Ray Kingdon -
Not sure I see the connection here. Flash cards have questions. Where are the questions coming from? I can see that the Glossary could provide content. Would the teacher then go in and add the questions? That would work.

However, the import/export rountines need a lot of work and probably a top-level "Moodle-view". Currently the Lesson imports questions in the supported external formats - GIFT, Atkin... I don't think that list includes XML, but I may be wrong. The Glossary module exports the items in XML format which it understands and it can then import the stuff back in. The XML wraps the content in a nice way which could be understandable by the Lesson module.

However (again wink ) I'm a bit reluctant to get into XML at this time. Release 5 of PHP has built-in XML support which is a lot smoother than the current XML routines. That release is (nearly?) at the production stage. I think that would enable us to provide a lot more XML exchange between modules, etc...

John, a interesting post, it's good when someone comes up with connections that I never thought of. Thanks.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by john mcgarvey -
Ray,
Thanks for the compliment. I actually got the idea from Tim here. So to get this to work I need to do some string manipulation on the glossary xml file. My goal is to convert all the glossary terms into lesson questions and the definitions into lesson answers. I would think there must be a way to convert the xml into the GIFT format. I will have to ask my unix shell friends, if there is an easy way to create a script to do this.

However, am I correct in assuming that once I get the vocabulary in GIFT format, the lesson module should work as flash cards.

Are there any online examples of lesson flash cards that I could view?

Thanks.
In reply to john mcgarvey

by Timothy Takemoto -

Hi John McGarvey,
Please let us know if you work out how to get the Glossary into GIFT format or directly into Lesson format (if that exists?)

Tim