No answers to questions showing up

No answers to questions showing up

by Guy Flaherty -
Number of replies: 11
I was immediately impressed with the lesson module and wanted to try it out. I have only just started using Moodle so I apologise if I am not getting something. After setting up some test questions of different types I found I could see the question but no choices for answers came up when I logged in as a student.

I tried out the demo to see what it should look like and that only made me want to get it working sooner!

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me where I might be going wrong. Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Guy Flaherty

Re: No answers to questions showing up

by Dale Jones -
Did you set up the module to show a number of questions rather than the default of zero?

Also, one thing that foxed me was that the first page seems to serve as an introduction to the lesson and therefore doesn't have questions applied to it.  Subsequent lesson pages will have.

I hope that helps.  This is a great module.
In reply to Dale Jones

by Guy Flaherty -
Thanks for the reply Dale. I tried the idea with the first page and that worked well. It gave me a continue button which moved on to the first question page.

Unfortunately this was as far as I got. I still cannot get any choices for the answers to show. I have tried all the settings I can find with no luck.

By the the number of questions being set to zero, I assume you mean the number of pages(cards) to show, for use with the flash card setting. I have tried changing these with no success.
In reply to Guy Flaherty

by Ray Kingdon -
Guy, this sounds like Bug#1157. Martin squashed this. If you take 1.2 or the latest CVS it should solve your problem smile
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Guy Flaherty -

Ray,

Thanks for the information. I have only just discovered Moodle and that comes after a busy Friday evening last week. I managed to set up Suse, get webmin running, crank up Apache and then I started to think what next thoughtful

I have not got around to working out how to use CVS yet, but I would like to soon. I actually started to read about it today, but had to go back and do some work smile.

I do have 1.2 installed, or at least I think I do, as I only downloaded it yesterday! Will check and try again though.

Thanks a lot,

Guy

In reply to Guy Flaherty

by Ray Kingdon -
Guy, I've do the same. I think the problem occurs with an "old" lesson created in a provious version of the Lesson module, not to newly created lessons. But I'll check that out.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Guy Flaherty -

Ray, thanks again but I am not having any luck as yet. I have downloaded and installed the latest build of 1.3 and still no change. I was having problems with labels and the workshop as well, but these seem to have been fixed by the update. Parts of these just would not show up. This is still happening for the  lesson module, where no matter what I have done, the answer choices are just not showing.sad

I am wondering whether using PostgresQL as the backend has anything to do with it.thoughtful If anyone has any idea what I could check I would appreciate it. I have no trouble working with the db and am happy to do some hacking wherever needed! If anyone else works with postgres and is looking for a good client to run on a windows workstation, I highly recommend PgAdmin. An outstanding piece of OSS. It really rocks with postgres!

I am also having sporadic trouble with the inbuilt html editor. In both IE and Konqueror the body refuses to show up, but only on certain pages. I can still enter something with a bit of fiddling (I can still see the tool bars) but I cannot see what I am typing. After I save the changes the text displays correctly, but this is a little annoying.

Thanks for the help,

Guy

In reply to Guy Flaherty

by Ray Kingdon -
"I am wondering whether using PostgresQL as the backend has anything to do with it." - Ah, everything I would think. The postgres db files haven't been updated, they're still at the original version of the module blush . If you have a look at mod/lesson/db/mysql.php you'll see the changes that were made in the 04022200 version - quite a few! I will update the postgres files (but my CVS access has got pear-shaped again angry ) so you might want to go and make the changes by PgAdmin. (If you do, we may have to do a little version number massaging later on to stop the changes being applied again but that's not too problemical - we can talk about that when the time comes.)

Yes, I may be having problems with the HTML editor (using FireFox). There may be problem when you're editting a lesson page. At that point there's on average 9 copies of the editor active wide eyes. I'm not convinced they are all needed. It may be better to use the HTML editor for the page contents and simple textboxes for the answers and the responses. Those last items are short and usually just plain text. It would take the strain off the editor and shorten the physical length of the edit page. (An option to edit any of the answers/responses using the editor might be nice if the interface is not too clunky.)

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, good plan, I was thinking exactly the same thing about the editors.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Guy Flaherty -

Thanks a lot for the reply Raysmile. I was just looking at this now as I ran a test of the same site but using mySQL and it worked no problem. So I started comparing the tables between the two db's and I noticed all the differences.

If I can help you with anything let me know. I am happy to wait if you are going to update the CVS soon, but if you think you will not get around to it for a while I might add in the missing fields myself (to the postgres tables that is). Can you tell me if this is all I will need to do if I do try? Or will I have to do anything else? I was looking through the code for the module but I couldn't find anything else obvious that I would need to change. Don't have any real idea of what to look for though thoughtful

Anyway, thanks for the responses! Much appreciated as I was beginning to wonder if it was just me or something! big grin

In reply to Guy Flaherty

by Ray Kingdon -
Thanks Guy for the prompt and helpful reply smile. I've updated the db/POSTGRES pair of files in CVS. It's a matter of "type and hope" though as I've no way of testing them sad. The database update file postgres7.php is the problematic one.

I've also put the new version of the lesson in CVS which could complicate things. If you've updated your database with the new fields introduced in the version 2 I think pulling in the new version from CVS will be OK and it will test the database update (there's a couple more changes to the tables in version 3). So if you are brave enough to do another update, after you updated the files please login as Admin and go to the Admin page. If there are errors updating the database please get back so we can fix the update file.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Guy Flaherty -

Ray, thanks a lot for your effort and time. I managed to get everything up and running today after I updated with the files you set up. I did have to go in and manually modify 3 of the tables that were missing some fields, but after doing this everything worked perfectly.smile I had not modified the database, as I had been away over the weekend, so thanks for the advice anyway.

If in the future if you need to do some testing with a postgres installation of moodle let me know. I can't give you access but I can try things out for you and hopefully be of some help.wink Thanks again. (If you happen to want to know exactly what I did in the end, send me an email and I will list out all the details for you!)