Unenroll or alumni

Unenroll or alumni

by Dr S Bhatia -
Number of replies: 5
hello all

Now here is a little issue. Assuming we all use moodle, the present situation is:

1. As long as we have a person enrolled with us in a course, she can enter and use all the facilities and services. After a stipulated period she gets an enrollment expiry notification and on completion of term, her enrollment expires and she can no longer access those services.
  2. We also have a feature, where the student herself can unenroll from a course.
The problem statement:

W
e create tests and administer them to students. Therefore a course will have lets say 5 paid tests and one complimentary free test. We make this test free coz we are still gathering data about this test so that we can do statistical analysis and make norms and standardize the test.
When you unenroll a student, apparently her grades and details of attempts etc also disappear.we end up losing data.

Suggested solution:

Is
it possible that we simply have a default system, where all students who when unenroll or their enrollment period expires, their entire profile and grades etc automatically get transferred to a status called 'alumni' or 'ex-students' or something. This way, they will not have access to facilities anymore but will be able to access their data and performance  and so can we.
This will be somewhat to kind of activity locking automatically and status change to 'alumni'.

This way we will not lose out the important data. (some people may contend that we should back-up data before unenrollment but thats not the way the standardization process works.It's beyond us tochange the rules of the industry and we have to comply with it.)

lastly: Since i have not faced this problem yet(using moodle for <6months) i just foresee this issue and want to pre-empt it. So if am talking something wrong, don't hesitate to correct me please.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

Re: Unenroll or alumni

by Dr S Bhatia -
anyone wishing to see a demo of it may see it here

http://www.atutor.ca/atutor/demo.php

once logged in, go to  http://www.atutor.ca/atutor/demo/tools/enrollment/index.php

where you will realize what i mean.

their help book says:

"Alumni

Instructors can mark students who have completed the course as alumni. Alumni have access to all course content with the exception of tests and surveys. They can particpate in activities to help new students master the content of the course, such as contributing to the forums. Select students from the Enrolled list, then use Mark Alumni to add the students to the Alumni list. Re-enrolling or removing alumni can be done from the Alumni tab."

In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by madhusudan kh -

what are the details we can get from an Un enrolled Course for a student.?

I want to fetch the details of quiz, assignments, resources etc... for a user in a unenrolled
course..

atleast if i know which table contains information about it will be helpful.

is it possible in moodle v 1.9+ ?

In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by N Hansen -
I think this might be solved by roles. The data is not lost, it is all there in the database still, just isn't accessible to anyone anymore. I filed a bug on a different, but somewhat connected issue about 15 minutes ago. See MDL-6782.
In reply to N Hansen

by Dr S Bhatia -
Roles or privileges, call what you may, but yes your bug report can solve this issue.
Therefore i have voted for it.
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Dr S Bhatia -
This is a request for everyone to go to See MDL-6782.
 and vote for it.
This is very important if you wanna keep your database slim and trim.
otherwise sooner than later you'll have a burgeoning database with no easy solution to control which data to keep and which to eliminate