under pressure to produce a result - as are we all

under pressure to produce a result - as are we all

by ian lake -
Number of replies: 3

i have had a browse through the forums but can find nothing that specifically suits my needs.

i would like to create a flat file enrolment for 90 dummy accounts with 'fake' email addresses.

these accounts should obviuosly have unique user names but i don't want to work through 90 accounts and change the passwords is there anyway of doing this?

i have 3 working days 'til the start of term and i'm out for two of them, so i'll be doing this at home.

simple ways of doing things - because i'm simple.

ian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ian lake

Re: under pressure to produce a result - as are we all

by A. T. Wyatt -
Can you use uploadusers instead of flat file?  That way you can just create your set in a spreadsheet, save as comma delimited text, and upload.

That is pretty simple!  I don't know if you have a special reason to use flat file instead of uploadusers.

You don't have to have more than 1 course--in the example I had 4--so you can just delete those extra columns.

The training course should exist before you upload the users.  You use the shortname to identify the course.

Actual text looks like this:
username,password,firstname,lastname,email,lang,description,autosubscribe,course1
lastname.firstname,password,Sample,Student,something1@something.edu,en_us,Your School Mascot,0,New Web Tools
account1,account1,Student,One,something2@something.edu,en_us,Your School Mascot,0,New Web Tools
account2,account2,Student ,Two,something3@something.edu,en_us,Your School Mascot,0,New Web Tools

Hopefully, something like this will help you!  Please do check the authentication method after you create the accounts.  I am thinking that when I did this on our server (which uses IMAP) as the default, these did come in as manual accounts.  Which I needed--since they were dummy accounts, they did not exist in the authentication database.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by ian lake -
my apologies, i should of course have used the term upload users which i do all the time, i have only just realised after searching through thr forums that they are different.

the enrolments are for the learning centre (library) induction - students should be able to log in to learning centre machines using a generic log in and as moodle is on a college server they can see it, unless IT pull the rug from under me and change it again.

once the students are logged in i would like them to be able to go into moodle to do the learning centre online induction - without having to change passwords, and without having a real email address - these accounts would only be used once by each student.

the reason for doing this is students need college log ins and passwords to access the system, these take typically 7 days to issue - don't ask why it takes so long or i'll really get started. without log in students cannot use the internet so cannot access confirming emails, so cannot use moodle, so cannot do the induction.

i hope that is clearer.

ian

In reply to ian lake

by Dr S Bhatia -
hi Ian

i could not resist the temptation to write this

you have already been briefed how to create a csv using MS excel or open office spreadsheet

here is how to create 90 dummies in 10 mins

headings of columns have to be same as described by wyatt

now in the first user-id cell, write 101
in next cell write a formula   '=1+a3'  (a3 being the cell which has 101 written)
click enter
now go back to this cell (should be a4 if 101 cell was a3)....ctrl+c and then select next 88 cells using shift...paste .........u have 101 to 190 users' ids ready(total 90)

same for other details(use numbers and add an integer to them and then paste the formula all over) (passwords to be identical or u may add 10437 to each user id to create a unique password...students won't be able to guess)(first name ..last names can again be first name=user id, last name can be 'thomas' for everyone***who says there can't be a thomas family with 90 kids***) so on and so forth

only exception would be e-mail address
shortcut
write a funny mail address like nil@nil.com
copy and paste it for all 90
then go to the top address and do the following key-drill like mad
f2+some random keys+enter
as an experiment for u i did 25 e-mails in 18 seconds
u can finish all this in 10 mins
upload it
bingo
p.s. your beard fascinates
smile