No record of score when using custom scoring

No record of score when using custom scoring

by Geoff Martin -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have a problem with scoring on the Lesson Module in Moodle 1.6. I should say this is the first time I've used the module - it's likely I've made a beginner's error somewhere, so any suggestions are welcome!

With "Custom Scoring" turned on, the user's score is never recorded. An example of the feedback seen by the user at branch pages whilst taking the lesson follows:

"Number of questions answered: 3; (You should answer at least: 8)
Number of correct answers: 3
Your current grade is 0.0 (Out of 100)"

On completing the lesson the following feedback is seen:

"Your score is 8 (out of 0)
Grade is 0.0 (Out of 100)"

Notes

• the value 8 is the "Minimum Number of Questions" under "Lesson Settings"
  • the value 100 is the "Maximum Grade" under "Lesson Settings"

After completing the lesson, the student's score is recorded as zero, even though questions were answered correctly.

I should finally note that with "Custom Scoring" turned off, all the questions score 1 and the correct grade is recorded.

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Thanks,
Geoff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Geoff Martin

Re: No record of score when using custom scoring

by Alison Schubert -
You didn't say what type of questions you were using but I ran into this with short answers initially.  The problem was defiantly a user error since I forgot to set the point value for the correct answers, the default being 1 for the first answer and 0 for the others.  This sounds like a likely culprit since the lesson is graded properly with custom scoring turned off.
In reply to Geoff Martin

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Geoff,

I just ran through a 1.6.1 Lesson and was unable to reproduce the error sad

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Geoff Martin -

Hello people,

Many thanks for your replies, and apologies for my absence - posting to the forum a couple of days before going away was, in retrospect, not wise.

Anyway, I have upgraded to version 1.6.1 and the problem I had has resolved itself. I'm still not sure what was going wrong, but at least it's solved! I will let you know if I am able to reproduce it in the future ...

Thanks again for the assistance,

Geoff