Invalid Short Course Name

Invalid Short Course Name

by Brian Hallock -
Number of replies: 6

That's an invalid short course name

Continue

You are logged in as Brian Hallock (Logout)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Hallock

Re: Invalid Short Course Name

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sounds like a possible database corruption.... however...

When EXACTLY does this message appear?
Have you tried changing the course short name in the course setup page?
Did it really suddenly happen - did you (or somebody else) do anything at this time, however unrelated it may seem now?

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Brian Hallock

That error message is the one you get when the number at the end of

http://68.168.132.115:81/moodle/course/view.php?id=5

is incorrect. Since you have courses ""5", "6," "7" and "8" if you where to enter

http://68.168.132.115:81/moodle/course/view.php?id=4

then you would see the above error. So...perhaps when you deleted course 4, perhaps for the purpose of renaming, or because it was a test course and for some reason you are being directed to it then the above error could occur.

Why would you be directed to it?

1) If you have more than one moodle then the cookie recording where you are may become overwritten so that you are directed to a course is non existant in one or other of your moodles.
  There is a way of getting aroudn this, other than making sure you are only using one Moodle at a time. Please post again if you have multipe Moodles.

2) If for some reason the moodle cookie is recording that you are viewing a course that no longer exists then it may keep trying to redirect you there. *Perhaps* if you deleted one of courses 1-4 (as you must have done, I presume) while you had one of those course pages open in another browser window then there is a chance that the cookie generated by the other browser window may try to redirect you to the non existant course.
     In this case I would suggest clearing all your cookies (which will mean that you will have to log in manually to all the sites that have passwords, and other inconveinces so do this as a last resort) or delete just the moodle cookie by searching for moodle in your cookies file. Moodle will soon make a new cookie for you. You will have to enter your password manually on login.

3) You are clicking on a link to a non existant course. But I doubt the problem is as simple as that.  

Timothy
Timothy Takemoto

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Brian Hallock -

The Problem is not simple at all because I can add and delete Course and when I add the Course then it still says invalid short course name.  I can do all the other things but veiw Course the only thing that I did was delete an old Course that I had and it caused all this mess!!

I can still pick a theme add and delete users and all that other fun stuff but I can't veiw any of my Courses or do anything in them.

I was thinking maybe that the lib files are  corrupt but I don't know because I can doo all the other things.

Still looking for help and will try most anything.

Thanks,

Brian H.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Brian,

I'll bet $100 that you have a cookie called "name" for some other software within your site.   Edit course/view.php and change this line near the top:
    if ($name) {
to
    if (!empty($_GET['name'])) {
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Martin Dougiamas

by Brian Hallock -

Thank You Very Much You Have Helped Me A lot

You were absolutly right about what it was I did put a few things in my site that the moodle is running on also and that is probably what the problem was. I Thank You so Much for you kind help.

I hope that we can stay in touch so that if I have anymore problems that I will be able to consult them with you.

What cause this to happen do you know do all web pages share the cookie $name???

Thank You Very Much

Brian H. 

Re: To all those who helped

by Brian Hallock -

P.s. to all those who helped me and gave me the useful information Thank You.

Thank You,

Brian H.