Bizarre Grader Report Behavior with Editing *Off*

Bizarre Grader Report Behavior with Editing *Off*

by Leslie Harris -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, Folks.

We are running Moodle 4.1.5 in a hosted environment.

I discovered something really odd when I logged in under a faculty member's account.

When I go to the Grader report logged in as that user (in one of her courses), I can actually click on a cell in the Grader report, and Moodle allows me to edit the cell, even when Gradebook editing is *off*. 

There is no button to save those changes, but Moodle actually accepts the change that I type in.  (I did this in a backup copy of one of her courses, so as not to mess up the actual course).  I clicked in the cell in the Grader report for a quiz grade, and the value I typed in became an override grade, even though editing for the Grader report was off. 

When I go to the same course using my Administrator account (logged in as me), I do *not* have that capability.

Is there something strange about that user's Gradebook settings, to allow editing in the Grader report even if editing is turned off?  That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Leslie Harris
Bucknell University

In reply to Leslie Harris

Re: Bizarre Grader Report Behavior with Editing *Off*

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Leslie,

It sounds as though your colleague has set 'Enable AJAX' to Yes in their Grader report preferences (as illustrated in the screenshot below). This behaviour is indeed strange and has been removed in Moodle 4.2 onwards.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Leslie Harris -
Hi, Helen.

That *was* indeed the issue.

Thank you for pointing me to the exact problem.

Leslie
In reply to Helen Foster

by Q Peiffer -
Hi Helen! Sorry to bother you with a random, late reply, but I can't find any note of the "Enable AJAX" field being removed in Moodle 4.2's changelog or notes. Do you know where that change was documented? We're moving from 4.1 to 4.3 soon and have no expectation regarding this, but it's highly used by our faculty and we need to prepare for the change if it's coming.
In reply to Q Peiffer

Re: Removal of the 'Enable AJAX' setting

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Q,

The removal of the 'Enable AJAX' setting and behaviour was done as part of MDL-76146. Hopefully the issue description and comments provide you with all the info you need. If not, please let us know.