Moodle 4 Gradebook problem when entering grades over 100%

Moodle 4 Gradebook problem when entering grades over 100%

by Laurie Miles -
Number of replies: 3
Hello.

I am having a problem in my Moodle 4.1 when entering grades in the gradebook that over the maximum grade. Unlimited grades are enabled in site administration and I can enter a grade over 100% if I override the grade. However, I can not add any other grades to the grader report in edit mode and save them without getting a popup at the overriden grade saying "Please select a value that is no more than 100 (or whatever the maximum grade is)". So, I can't add and save any additional grades to the gradebook. I don't seem to recall this being the case in 3.9. Can someone please advise?

Thanks.
Laurie

In reply to Laurie Miles

Re: Moodle 4 Gradebook problem when entering grades over 100%

by Laurie Miles -
I am being advised to couple the original grade with a manually added extra credit grade to have the gradebook calculate a grade over 100%. I don't recall having to do this in previous versions. Has anyone else run into this issue?
In reply to Laurie Miles

Re: Moodle 4 Gradebook problem when entering grades over 100%

by Q Peiffer -
Hi Laurie!

The manually added extra credit item has been the best practice for setting that up at our institution. Overflown grades (going over the maximum grade of an assignment) generally seem to only be done with an override, and from what I tested on our 3.9 instance, that's true in the previous version, as well.
I believe some LTIs can pass in a grade that's higher than the maximum grade, as well. For instance, our Gradescope integration at NC State can provide a 105/100 and Moodle will take it with no issue.

I will especially recommend using a separate manual grade item for extra credit, as this is generally more clear to students when they need to reference grades as an assessment point.