Using Quiz for Learning purposes vs Testing purposes

Using Quiz for Learning purposes vs Testing purposes

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There have been several interesting discussions lately in this forum about providing feedback and sharing questions from a repository. After reading these discussions (and many others) I'd like to share my views about the uses of the Quiz module.

1. Lesson vs Quiz

Maybe because Moodle offers both a Lesson and a Quiz tool, it looks to me that most Moodlers will use the Lesson module for teaching/learning purposes and reserve the Quiz tool for testing purposes. This may be an exaggerated generalization, however, I see no reason not to use the Quiz tool for teaching/learning purposes, but such a use has implications as regards the 2 points in my introductory paragraph.

2. Testing vs Learning

I personally do not have much use for Testing (in my Moodle courses), I try to concentrate on teaching/learning, I wish we could do without Testing, Exams, etc. I wish my students would be more anxious about learning than about taking exams, etc. Of course, I do appreciate that we must be realistic, and I also quite understand that in some situations, testing and certification are of paramount importance.

3. Caring for the students' needs

Although the "tutorial" approach to CAL (Computer Aided Learning) has gone out of fashion I still believe very much in it. In accordance with this approach, I try to create questions which are as closely as possible related to a) the teaching matter and b) my own students' needs. In order to provide the students with ever more relevant feedback I have proposed to use an advanced analysis system (based on regular expressions).

4. General feedback? Questions repository?

Given my (extremistmixed) position about the tutorial approach, it will be easy to understand that I have not much use for General Feedback. I admit that there will be cases where General FB is economical (for the teacher) and sufficient (for the student). But mostly I believe that it is the teacher's job to try to produce as specific and relevant feedback as possible. OK, this takes a lot of time and reflection.

It will also be easy to understand why the idea of a "question repository" sounds strange to me. Again, there will be cases, especially if Quiz is used for Testing, not Learning purposes, where it might be useful to share others' questions. But for me a Quiz (as Learning tool) does not consist of a set of randomly selected questions. It is - on the contrary - a set of carefully created, ordered, graduated questions, which forms a whole.

What I like in the Moodle Quiz and Lesson tools is that they allow (almost) any type of approach to Learning, Teaching and Testing. So everybody is happy.smile

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Using Quiz for Learning purposes vs Testing purposes

by N Hansen -
I am using quiz for lesson-by-lesson translation (and sometimes other, like cloze, thanks to your wonderful explanations of cloze) exercises in essay format-untimed, open textbook. I use it basically like one would use the assignment module but when I was developing my course the assignment module simply did not have the features necessary for me to implement it in the way I wanted to do so, so I chose to use the quiz module. I have even renamed it as "exercise" on my site and students will never see the word "quiz" when using the quiz module.

I have been using general feedback to give the student some extra information related to the particular quiz item, but not necessarily part of the item. For example, in one of the early exercises they are required to transliterate a word in hieroglyphs. That is all the quiz requires of them. However, I sometimes give cultural or grammatical information related to that word as general feedback. In one case, the general feedback for a specific quiz question generated a question in the discussion forums, and  I edited the general feedback to include a link to that discussion.

by John Rodgers -
One thing I would like, more than a question repository, would be some definitive research on the relative effectiveness of the blends of strategies.

I have been using large random banks of questions, knowing that some (I would say good) research indicates student learning will decrease with a drill and practice approach.  However, I have the students collaborating with each other on their "quizzes". 

Everyone has a different set of questions, so the shortest path to the students desired outcome most closely matches mine ("How do I solve this type of problem", as opposed to "What's the answer to this question?").  There are some other effects as well but I just don't have time to identify them.

I do notice that students are much less reliant on a recipe approach to problem solving than we give them credit for.

My gut feeling is that the bottom third of the class benefits significntly.  I wish I could prove or disprove it.  I also wish I had more banks...

I really want to try your GREP tool Joseph.  It sounds fantastic.
In reply to John Rodgers

by Mary Kaplan -

In the past, I have personally found that the lessons take a long time to create, so I have tended to use quizzes as a teaching/reinforcing tool. The elements are initially taught in a face-to-face classroom setting, then students are taken to the computer lab, or are asked to do at home, a series of quizzes that are designed to reinforce the newly acquired skills. I find that when students take the quiz seriously, reading the feedback carefully in an attempt to understand why they missed certain items, this can be wonderfully useful reinforcement for them. The advantage for me now is that I do not have to focus on reinforcement in class, and we have more class discussions on interesting topics, and can focus on more creative activities such as expansion of our use of the culture forums. Of course, lessons would work for the initial teaching just as well as face-to-face instruction, but for reinforcing, I personally prefer the quizzes.

--Mary

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Joseph,

Thank you very much for your helpful explanation about the difference between using the Quiz Module for testing as opposed to learning/training.  I have always used it as a training and gaming tool (posing questions at the beginning of a lesson, with funny possible answers).   And I have always wanted progressive "Hints" to be added to the Quiz Module, and puzzled that instead we are seeing more and more security features installed.   From your new post here, I could realize what has been going on, and it led me to this discussion.

Now I am co-leading a team working on mobile phone flashcards, email study streams, quizzing and surveying (see all threads on MFM).  We are using ad hoc databases created by teachers from the Database Module, rather than the main Question Bank.  But that is another discussion.   My main questions now are:
  • How do we get progressive hints built into quizzing?
  • How do we build not just a site-wide repository, but share questions/feedback/hints on a multi-site and global level?
  • How can we make sure mobile phone modules are a supportive, integrated tool in this effort?
P.S.  I really like what Mary says about how she uses quizzes online after a face-to-face class.  That is what I like to do too.  smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Jeff Forssell -
I'm also very interested in getting "hinting" into the Quiz module. Is there any "bug/request" one can vote for?

I've used for many years a Perl script that (among other things) had the hinting option (I've made a (partially) English sample here: http://tupo.biz/cgi-bin/tut/tuteng.pl/kurser/MaC/StudArb/QuadEq1.htm otherwise my stuff is in Swedish) You can also observe another feature I would like to have in Moodle: Feedback links for every page and every question (and in questions I would like the functionality of Dennis Daniels "challenge" feature)

I've also used a little javascript for displaying/hiding hints in various pages. I'm still not sure when one can use javascript directly in the composing editor in Moodle or not. Joseph R surprised me the other day by showing how easy it was to get OverLib stuff in there.

I was actually looking for a suitable thread for mentioning a FireFox extension that can be used for entering HTML easily into quiz fields that don't natively have a HTML editor. It's called Xinha here! and it even has snippets handling. Just right-click in the field and chose "open Xinha". (After writing this, I did a search on Xinha and found a lot of Moodlers are using it.)

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi all,
        first thanks Joseph for your support and developpment efforts, you got a nice hat for that wink

Let me precise that I do only face-to-face teaching in process control and automatisation domain.

As others I do many usages of quiz module:

1 - Teaching/Learning : Using many well defined categories and random questions, the student have opportunities after an experiment or an exercice to master or to "auto evaluation formative" ( in french )  the relations  implied  in the  experiment.  Feedback, right answers  and of course the teacher explanations help I hope.

The student also can retake the preparation quiz as many time it  want  and the grade  give him or her a good idea of the result that will be reached in the real test ( 2 ) .

2 - Testing : Same repository of questions but with only one attempt and no help wink and effective grading!

3 - Distributing activities :  Another simple use of the quiz module is to make random choice of equivalent activities. That way students  are encouraged to collaborate in the understanding and manipulation levels of their exercice but have nothing  to copy directly.

4 - Validation : As the experiment supporter guy I generally use four checkpoints in any experiment to verify that the student is in the right way and to help him or her if not.  For that I use  four simple quiz that require some calculation on a 10 digits string and the student don't konw the answer.

As sides effects it permit to evaluate the time required by each section of the experiment and to have ideas of the groups progression. I started  a small jpgraph page that give a good idea of the relative advance of all quiz:

5 - Auto evaluation : I use the quiz also to let the students to auto evaluate their progression in a project course: Each week they have personnaly to estimate the percentage they think their group have reached for each of the graded elements of the project ( drawing, cabling, programming, documentation, ... ). After that personnal evaluation they compare with the other student working on the same project.

For the lesson the biggest problem is the authoring  time required to make the feedback and to give it the appropriate navigation.

The same time problem exist with the Scorm module and the IMS LD activities.

15 years ago I realised that problem and started very slowly to desing a system that will generate all the required feedback and navigation from simple teacher statements. The system will appear to the students as a pseudo Socratic Dialogue. You will find here my last elucubrationswink about that subject.

I hope it may help,

Bernard

by Robert Dickey -

Like many others, I see a clear bifurcation in uses of Quiz: to aid in learning, or to assess.  (and there can certainly be other uses)

also like others, I find the Lesson module not very helpful - it doesn't do what I want, and I don't like the "formatting" choices -- it seems the basic assumption is power-point-like cells with quiz.

I'd like to see two new functions in moodle, without loss of the current quiz:

1.  TEST  which uses the current quiz design but allows for more.  There is a clear shopping list out in various other discussions, for me, I'd add that the time to test could be longer than the regular time-out, and one way to handle that might be to have the test in sections (pages) where completion of one page, which could be returned to for revision (without requiring the "right button" be chosen) would satify the regular timer.  I.e., a 4 page Test, each page 10 minutes, would overcome a regular 15 minute timeout.  Only completing the fourth page would be the final upload/no changes.

2.  LEARN which uses the current web page or assignment design, where any "comprehension check" questions could be placed anywhere, with a feedback loop: 1 point (or fraction thereof, as per assignments) for a successful answer, and a redirect to the beginning of that reading for an incorrect answer, with no "minus" points and the possibility of reanswering for the full points (previous answer not displayed).  It might even highlight the correct info in the passage?

The reason the slides design won't work so well here is it doesn't really allow for questions that roll back to earlier reading sections without re-starting the hole process.

Or so I suggest...

(unfortunately, I'm not a programmer!)

Rob