Quiz Question Repository to benefit all

Quiz Question Repository to benefit all

by Wayne Campbell -
Number of replies: 17

Hello all,

As a school, we are just starting to learn and use Moodle.  One of the things that I see as a major setback is the time it takes to create quizzes. 

I was wondering if anyone has tried to deveolp a repository of questions for K-12 students that could be shared among the Moodle community?

If no one has done this, I would be interested in designing a site that will allow poeple to share their quiz questions by storing the exported database one the site and allowing easy downloads.

This may seem like an attempt to take advantage of others hard work, but I truely feel that all Moodlers could benefit.  If you feel the same please leave your comments.  I don't want to spend a lot of time designing the site if there is no interest in it.

Thanks

Wayne Campbell
USD 447 Cherryvale KS

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wayne Campbell

Re: Quiz Question Repository to benefit all

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
This is a great idea Wayne and I would be interested in this as well.  I teach post secondary students but much of the math I teach is also taught k-12. We all work so hard and spend so much time. No need to reinvent the wheel when we can share and recycle and customize!
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Cliff Packman -

Deb,

Currently I am teaching at the post-16 level Secondary school but there probably would be a strong overlap with the material you are teaching. 

At the moment I am just starting out with Moodle and have simply organised and uploads my regular handouts, and past examination papers into a course.  I have no experience with quiz creating but would be keen to have any question files you have created. 

I think I will sit down this summer and start seriously thinking about how to create on mass.

by John Rodgers -
I had been placing some quiz questions in the exchange found at

http://moodle.org/mod/glossary/view.php?id=2741

I can probably put another thousand or so there now, if I get a bit of time.
In reply to John Rodgers

by Gustav W Delius -
Dear John,

thanks a lot for placing your assessment questions into the glossary on the Moodle Exchange site. At the moment that is the best place. The drawback is that people can not try out the questions in that Exchange without first downloading them to their own Moodle. However I am working on a solution to this so that in future you will be able to upload your questions and they will immediately be available to others to try right on the Exchange site.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Dennis Daniels -
That does sound cool! A teahcer shares the questions on the exchange, an RSS feed like service is then made available via the quiz interface... other teachers subscribe to the feed then if they like it download? Just trying to wrap my head around the security problems of sharing files across sites...

It's a tantalizing idea!

best
Dennis
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by John Rodgers -
I guess from my perspective I have a very low requirement for security.  I generate banks of similar questions (its math) for the students to practice with.  I encourage them to collaborate on answering (its a strategy that seems to work).

There are enough that its significantly worth learning the material rather than the answers to specific questions.  In the end I suppose, if the banks are large enough(the more collaboration we can do), the less likely security will be a concern)

by John Rodgers -
You're the best Gustav.

I guess I could put a screenshot in my uploads.

Offhand I am wondering what the best way to place quizzes with images is in the near future.  Does Moodle xml format make images portable?
In reply to John Rodgers

by Chris Douce -
I was wondering about this too (I asked a related question a couple of weeks back related to 'packaging images and question' together but received deathly silence - whether this was because it was a good or bad question, I don't know!).  But it looks like this is something that is being worked on for version 1.6?
Chris
In reply to Chris Douce

by Vyatcheslav Yatskovskiy -
 I haver tested new image encoding feature in Moodle XML format, and I can say that it works (thanks, Howard). Just export your questionnare in this format and anyone having the latest 1.6 version will be able to import it back.
By the way, I have updated my MS Word questionnare template; it now can handle pictures. That is, one can create his/her questionnare as a Word document with images and save all content as ready-to-import XML.
In reply to Vyatcheslav Yatskovskiy

by Manish Verma -

The MS Word template can be very useful.  Does it support microsoft equation editor?  Can pictures be made using any software?  Also, will it work in 1.5.3?

by Paula Clough -

Gustav and others,

We did an Exchange Samples class in demo.moodle.org last summer and included many of the quiz questions there at the time.  Don't know if we will be updating this summer or not as I have been working summer school this summer.

If you are interested in seeing something like that continued, please post here to let us know by posting here.

Thanks,

Paula cool

by Dennis Daniels -
I can load up a few on the shared directory here on the Moodle site... what I'd like to share with you though is that it can be very easy to create lots of questions using a bit of regex.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dennis+daniels+moodle+regex

I've put together a little demo of how to leverage the quizzing interface as well here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1777062683534172987&q=dennis+daniels+moodle+quiz&pl=true

And here:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Moodle+Quizzes+As+Worksheets+Part+I%3A+Creating+the+Paperless+Classroom

Generating questions is easy... the answering is the hard part... Moodle doesn't make that easy yet but the fix is on its way I'm sure! Rezeau has a nifty Regex module and testing is huge (number of forum posts) so something will pop to make student evaluations more efficient.

all the best!
Dennis

by Manish Verma -
Quiz making does take lot of time and work based on collaboration as suggested looks like a very fine idea indeed!
In reply to Manish Verma

by Rob Monk -
I love the idea of sharing quiz questions. Just done a quiz on simple machines that took me 2 hours. Happy to share but how do I do it.
In reply to Rob Monk

by John Rodgers -
Hi Rob:

http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=15 is the moodle exchange.

You can export your questions in GIFT or Moodle XML format.  Both require some work work if there are images (until 1.6).  If you export you questions as a backup then you don't need to worry about moving the images too.

Re: Quiz Question Repository to benefit all__market for curriculum packages for Moodle?

by Dennis Daniels -
Just upped about 250 computer questions... it's in a text file. I tried another set and found to my surprise student data... the import failed (1.4.3 data). There was some material, but certainly not enough to start a school... ;)

I think there should be a more concerted effort for the community to supply more questions and curriuclum... Or at least tools in moodle to make curriculum easier to build.

Teacher friends are always asking how doing stuff on line makes it easier and I can go on about what I can do but it's hard to show them much in terms of what is done or what is available now for Moodle, except what I've created ... I know about the master school list:
http://moodle.org/sites/

Does anyone know of people selling curriculum packages specifically for Moodle? Private schools maybe... overworked public schools in the upper high grades maybe... Would anyone buy? Who else?

best
Denny
In reply to Dennis Daniels

Re: Quiz Question Repository to benefit all__market for curriculum packages for Moodle?

by Paula Clough -

An organization called k12opened.org is trying to develop Math Curriculum which is specific to Moodle or can be printed out.  Last time I heard they were looking for people to work with them on it.  You might check them out.

Paula cool