Moving Quiz Questions

Moving Quiz Questions

by Catherine Skillin -
Number of replies: 6

Last year in my course I had a Final examination with 100 multiple choice questions. This year in the same course, I want to split that into two  50 question quizzes.  The original questions were all saved in the default question bank for the course. I tried to use the export function but really didn't know what I was doing and probably did something wrong. It said there were no questions to import. Yet when I go into the final exam for last year, they are all there. Can someone please tell me how to copy the questions into two new quizzes without having to re-type them all?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Catherine Skillin

Re: Moving Quiz Questions

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If the old quiz shows questions, they should be somewhere in the question bank.

Not knowing (or seeing) your exact technique, here is what I would do.
1) Export the category containing the original 100 questions as Moodle XML.
2) Edit the XML file's category name to something that I can easily detect.
3) Import the 100 questions.
4) When everything is good with both categories, delete the first 50 questions from the original category, and delete the second 50 questions from the new imported category.

As an alternative, if you want to preserve the 100 questions, I would make two copies of the exported XML file, make two edits to the category name, then import these two exported files.

Note: Some of what you do will depend upon your role.  (I'm the Moodle Manager and can do anything, for example.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Catherine Skillin -
I am still not able to do this. When I go into the final exam for last year's course, I see 100 questions. When I try to export the questions, Moodle says there are no questions. I really am new at this and may be doing the wrong thing. But I keep getting the message that there are no questions to export. I can't delete or add questions to the previous final exam because the exam has already been completed by last year's students. I want to split the 100 questions into 2 - 50 question quiz for this year's course. I did try saving last year's questions into different categories but that doesn't show up either when I try to export them. I really don't want to type them all over again but I guess if I have to I will.

by Rick Jerz -
You say that you are trying to export from the exam. Have you tried exporting from the Question Bank?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Catherine Skillin -

I have tried to export from the Question Bank and Moodle can't find any questions.  I really don't know what I'm doing and I might be saying the wrong thing.  But nothing is working for me.  I have admin rights on the website so can do everything. But I can't see a way to get those questions into new shorter quizzes without re-typing them.

by Rick Jerz -
Catherine, I don't think that I can provide much more guidance, except to point you to the Moodle Docs Question Bank.  You might need to chat with your Moodle administrator.
Or maybe someone else here on Moodle.org will understand why you cannot see questions in your Question Bank.

You might also post a few screenshots to show what you are seeing.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by 4eno in -

I make a quiz online but i simply save them in a database and use javascript in frontend. you can see the online quiz. and see there are no pagination. everything is happening in the same page.