Forum grading out of points (including negatives)

Forum grading out of points (including negatives)

by Svetlana Atuchina -
Number of replies: 13

Hello guys, 

We have some forums which are grade by 0-1 system (if student post or not post anything), it was okay and the grade goes to the gradebook and everything, until one of the teachers mentioned that it's possible to choose any grade, yet the settings are set for minimum 0 and maximum 1. Does anybody know how to fix it? 

This is what I mean
grading is showing a negative number

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Svetlana Atuchina

Re: Forum grading out of points (including negatives)

by Svetlana Atuchina -

This is how the forum's settings look like, just in case 
settings of the forum

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
From your screenshot, have you tried changing the whole forum grade from 1 to some other value, like 5? As shown, you cannot make this change for a forum that already has grades in it. You can experiment by duplicating the forum and then giving it a try.

I don't use whole forum grading so am not the best person to help. I do use Ratings a lot, typically using 2 points (0=bad, 2=good, 1=ok, but could be better). I prefer to read and grade each individual post (typically the entire assignment is worth 8 points).
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Svetlana Atuchina -
Thank you for the piece of advise, Rick. Of course I don't try to fix the issue in this current forum, I use a template.
Using ratings doesn't fix the problem if it's done while whole forum grading is active. Choosing a different maximum/minimum grade didn't help either, Moodle still allows to pick from a great variety of numbers, both positive and negative.

by Rick Jerz -
Well, Svetlana, you have me puzzled. Are you saying that if you create a brand new Forum, that you are unable to set the Whole Forum point grade to a value greater than 1?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Svetlana Atuchina -
No, I mean I can put any point I want, but when a teacher goes to grading, my choice is not relevant, in that grading window any number (including negatives) can be chosen, like a grading person doesn't have any borders. That's confusing, especially to some new teachers. When they are instructed to pick zero or one, for example, but can give, say, 67 or -23.

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, Svetlana, perhaps some progress. I am going to restate this problem in order to see if other Moodle.org members can jump in.

There is a problem with Whole Forum Grading. When I use "Ratings" for forums, and put in a maximum grade of (something like) 5, when rating a student's post the dropdown rating choices are restricted to 0 to 5. However, doing the same thing for Whole Forum Grading does not restrict the dropdown range to 0 to 5, the dropdown allows any value to be used, including negative values. Yes, if I try to save my (Whole Forum) rating for a student the Whole Forum interface says "only values between 0 and 5 are allowed." But why is the dropdown allowing other choices prior to the warning?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Svetlana Atuchina -
Exactly! That was what I meant.

by Rick Jerz -
I want to see if folks like Mary and others who were more involved in the development of "Whole Forum Grading" have any logic to why the dropdown is not restricted. I will watch.

If we hear nothing within a few days, either you or I can submit this as a minor "bug."

(I am not a developer, just a professor who uses Moodle.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Rick and Svetlana. If you mean this Mary by the way, I'm not a developer either so wasn't involved in the development of this, but I did find a similar tracker issue here MDL-69571 and it might be worth commenting on there. I found the same as you when I tried using points with a maximum in forum grading. (You could make a custom scale with a maximum of 5, but that is a workaround not a solution)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Yep, right now Mary, you are my only Mary! I wish the other Mary(s) well. I will explore that MDL and see what we should do. I referenced your name because you were helpful when this Whole Forum grading improvement was being released. Thanks.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Mary, I can't quite follow MDL-69571. On my Moodle 3.11.4, I cannot create multiple criteria.

I believe that this current issue that Svetlana pointed out is a different problem, so I created "MDL-73389 - Whole Forum Grading "Rate" dropdown doesn't honor point limits."

Svetlana, see if you agree with the Tracker item, vote for it, and add your own comments that you think might be useful.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Svetlana Atuchina -
Thank you, Rick.
You described that really clear. I voted

by Rick Jerz -
Svetlana, this is how Moodle works! Not sure if the problem will ever be fixed, but we had done our best to report it. Encourage others to vote for the Tracker item.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)