Moodle issue - Moodle loading at last page saved but not saving activities completed in the course.

Moodle issue - Moodle loading at last page saved but not saving activities completed in the course.

by Glenn Donnelley -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Team, I have just published 3 Captivate courses to Moodle. All 3 Captivate courses have the exact same SCORM package publication settings. 2 are working fine. However, the last, the largest course in the series (a total of 577 slides) is not.

The course has 26 activities to complete, which run for about 2-3 minutes each. When the user closes the course and reopens it again, it loads them to their last page viewed, but doesn’t save their progress, i.e., record the previous activities they have completed. 

This function works on the first 2 courses but not on the third. Has anyone encountered this issue before and overcome it? Any ideas? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenn Donnelley

Re: Moodle issue - Moodle loading at last page saved but not saving activities completed in the course.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
577 slides! How many SCOs? Progress is bookmarked by SCO. One SCO - no bookmark.
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Re: Moodle issue - Moodle loading at last page saved but not saving activities completed in the course.

by Glenn Donnelley -
Hi Shirley, if you mean SCORM package files, I am only using one SCORM package for the course. I have also added, send data back to the LMS on every slide as well. Do you think this error is being caused because the size of the course (or SCORM package) is too big? That would track, given the other 2 (smaller) courses are working fine. Would you recommend breaking this course up into multiple parts or SCORM packages?
And, what do you mean by bookmarks?
In reply to Glenn Donnelley

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Large SCORM files can be problematic in general. There is a forum dedicated just to SCORM issues, the Moodle experts there have provided guidance on file sizes and how to correct/avoid bad behaviors.
Two smaller SCORM files would be expected to work fine. 

Bookmarking is the generic term, for allowing the student to return to the "last" place they stopped in the course. It is "automatic". With bookmarking, when the student returns to the course, the will be prompted "Resume" or "Start Over". The catch is that SCORM bookmarks by SCO units. If you only have one SCO - that is all 577 slides.

Moodle Documentation for SCORM can be found here - Lots of good information. Only SCORM files created as 1.2 is support, 2004 is not supported. This is important because SCORM 1.2 is single SCO, which would not provide bookmarking.

Kind Regards.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Glenn Donnelley -
Hi Shirley, thank you for all the above information. I will split the course up into 2 parts and trouble shoot from there. Thanks a million for all the help.

Best regards,

Glenn