Moodle does not apply even though I changed the default language setting...

Moodle does not apply even though I changed the default language setting...

by Halim Asa -
Number of replies: 9

Hello, although the default language is Turkish on my Moodle website, the administrator and student pages always open in English, I have to change it to Turkish from the language bar at the top. Why is the language selection not fixed, why does it always default to english?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Halim Asa

Re: Moodle does not apply even though I changed the default language setting...

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What version of Moodle is this?

By default Moodle will use the language specified by the user's browser, so check the language selected in your browser preferences. If you want Moodle to ignore the browser's settings you can turn Language autodetect off and set Default language to Turkish.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Halim Asa -
Hi thanks for the reply, I am using moodle 3.11, latest version,
My default language preference in the browser and operating system is Turkish, but it still returns English, is this a mistake?
In reply to Halim Asa

by Leon Stringer -

What is Language autodetect and Default language set to in Moodle?

Is the site the one linked to in your profile (https://…/lms)? If I change my browser to use Turkish then that site loads in Turkish as expected. If you use your browser's developer tools (for example Network Monitor in Firefox) you can see that browser requests include its languages in order of preference. With Turkish selected my browser sends the request with header:

Accept-Language: tr-TR,tr;q=0.8,en-US;q=0.5,en;q=0.3

Since tr-TR,tr is the highest priority in the browser's languages and your site has the Turkish language pack then Moodle uses that language for the page:

Screenshot showing home page in Turkish: "HalimLMS | Türkçe ‎(tr)‎ | Giriş yapmadınız. (Giriş yap)"

Can you see what Accept-Language header is being sent by your browser when you get the page in English?

by Halim Asa -
I'm so sorry, I didn't fully understand what you said, can you explain step by step, my English is not very good

by Halim Asa -
I'm going to explain a little here, see the picture below is an image before logging into the site,
Picture 1
ii
English is selected here. So as I want, but after logging into the site, the language automatically changes to English.
Picture 2
i
This image shows the browser language options.
Picture 3

As you can see, only Turkish language is selected, but the site still appears in English.

Why is this happening, I looked at my browser settings, there were three languages Turkish, English US, and English, I deleted the English options. However, after logging into the site, my moodle is displayed in English again
In reply to Halim Asa

by Leon Stringer -

Before logging in Moodle uses your browser's language: the site is in Turkish.

After logging in Moodle uses your user's preferences: the site is in English because your Moodle user has English selected.

Change your user's language:

1. Preferences menu item in user drop-down menu
  2. "Preferred language" option highlighted on user preferences page.
  3. Selecting Turkish in "Preferred language" field

The site should now appear in Turkish for your user.

For new users ensure Default language is Turkish:

Site administration > Language > Language settings with "Default language": Turkish.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Halim Asa -
Greetings, thank you for your suggestion, yes, when I changed the profile to tr from the preferences section, the language became Turkish, things got better for my user.

However, it still appears in English for my trainees, I checked the default language section, Turkish, but it did not work for these users.

In reply to Halim Asa

by Leon Stringer -

For your trainees you must also change their language.

1. If there are few users: log into Moodle as a site admin and edit the preferences for each user. From Browse list of users click on the user's name then click Preferences.
  2. Or if there are many users: use Upload users to change the language, for example:
username,firstname,lastname,email,lang 
fred,Fred,Flintstone,fred@example.com,tr
barney,Barney,Rubble,barney@example.com,tr
Any new users should be created with the Varsayılan dil setting but the Hesap oluştururken kullanıcının tarayıcı dilini tercih ettiği dil olarak ayarlayın setting can change this.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Halim Asa -
thank you very much, yes i updated it with csv file as you mentioned. And now it looks fine in my students.