Do not be put off posting but here are some things that might help you help yourself (or help us help you quicker)...
If you are asking for help, try to provide the following if you can (and if it is relevant)...
- What version of Moodle is this (it's in the version.php file or the Site administration > Notifications page at the bottom)?
- If you've had an error message, what is it? Please copy and paste it exactly?
- What is your operating system, what web server are you using, what database and what are the versions of everything (including PHP)?
- What did you do? What instructions did you follow? What did you expect ? What went wrong?
- Turn on debugging, check your logs. See the following section on Debugging...
- If you are talking about a system (of any description) that is not Moodle you may want to give links and/or a brief explanation. We don't all live in the same country or work in the same field.
Logs, messages and Debugging...
- If you have a "white page of death", "Error 500", an error message of any description or just weird behaviour the first thing to do is...
- Purge all caches if you can - see Developer_tools
- Switch on debugging in Moodle - see Debugging
- Reproduce the error
- Do you see additional messages and "traces". If it doesn't immediately solve the problem please post them into your question in this forum
- Check your web server's error log. The location will vary depending on operating system and web server software. Google should be able to tell you. If you're stuck please ask here with full details of your system. On hosted sites it may not be accessible to you at all and you may need to ask your support.
And last but not least...
- If you get good advice please 'rate' the response as 'Useful'. Useful points earn badges
Hi Howard Miller,
I am a moodle developer. I have posted some issues in moodle forum for past three years. I gave few details on forum. Here now I should give proper
details in forum. Thanks for your valuable points.
Can I add to this list please?
In reading posts here there are lots that really belong in other forums where you'd be more likely to get a reply from people who understand the given area. Therefore before posting, please look at the other forums and consider which would be better for your question.
There is lots of information about this....
- https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080 - Which has 'Choose the most appropriate forum to post in' and being the 'Site policy' something you've agreed to.
But don't post duplicates or a moderator (like me and Howard) will: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines#Posting_in_multiple_forums. If you think a post belongs in two forums, post in the main forum for the subject matter and then post a link to that post in the other forum.
I saw these instructions only after posting. Fortunately they seem not to apply to my post.
Just wanting to point out that it says on the Moodle in English course page that people unsure where to post should use this forum. I am usually unsure if I post in the right place or not, and then it would be helpful if some more experienced user could point in the right direction.
great point. same experience
I have joined yesterday. And thanks for telling these rules to new member. It would help me in long run. Thanks.
Not really rules, more like guidelines, you think Howard?
Oh, and please add in more detail on your personal profiles, the Moodle community is always a little curious about new commers, and would like to at least have some idea of who you are, and perhaps not tread on your cultural toes. So unless you are Vogon*, or Dalek*, please feel free to tell us as much about yourself as you are comfortable with.
And if you don't know:
*Vogons are completely insensitive petty bureaucrats who write the Universe's second worst poetry.
*Daleks have severe anger management problems.
Haha! :D OK, I now filled in some boring factoids about myself in the profile.
Hi Howard, I'm a beginner developer and I just want to let you know that I like the way you explain and that's a good point of view.
These details are very helpful.
I have accidentally disclosed personal information in a post can you please show me how to remove the details. You can see in the bottom of my answer.my post is :
Thanks for these advises.. it will help me getting started.