Problem importing quiz in Word 2010 format

Problem importing quiz in Word 2010 format

by Rob McCart -
Number of replies: 4
I've exported a quiz in Word 2010 table format (wordtable) and without opening or editing the file, I try to import the quiz in Word 2010 table format. Moodle displays the following message:

The type of the file you selected (application/msword) does not match the type expected by this import format (application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document).

I've attached a copy the exported file.

Moodle Version: 3.5.11+ (Build: 20200402)

Windows 10, FireFox 88.0

Thanks, Rob McCart

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob McCart

Re: Problem importing quiz in Word 2010 format

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

All I can say is that I've stopped using Microsoft Office for a number of years, and I regret that it's not possible to export/import quizzes in an open format such as OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob McCart

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The standard Moodle does not offer any MS Word import file format. If you are using a plugin, you will probably need to contact the author of the plugin.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Rob McCart

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Have you tried to rename the document to nameofdocument.docx? Maybe it helps.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob McCart

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In order to re-import questions exported to a .doc file, you must first open the file in Word, and then save it to .docx format. You can't just rename the file to have a different suffix. The .doc file exported from Moodle actually contains HTML text with some extra markup to format the text nicely when it is opened in Word. The .doc suffix is used to fool Windows into automatically opening the file using Microsoft Word. The .docx format is really a Zip file containing a number of XML files containing WordprocessingML, and the WordTable plugin processes this XML into the Moodle Question XML format. Simples!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)