(QB)², Free Moodle Question Creation Tool

(QB)², Free Moodle Question Creation Tool

by Lillian Hawasli -
Number of replies: 24

With instruction at UCLA moving online due to COVID-19, our instructors across campus (and I’m sure at other institutions) have been needing to move their quizzes and exams to Moodle as quickly as possible. We want to share a tool UCLA has been using to more quickly and efficiently create quiz questions in Moodle. We hope this will be useful to other instructors in the Moodle community.

(QB)², or the “Question Bank Quick Builder,” is a free Google Sheet Add-on created to reduce the labor for instructors creating digital course materials. The instructor can write their questions and answers in plain text, all visible and editable on a single page. (QB)² transforms this content to an XML document, which the instructor can easily import into the Moodle Question Bank.

For those of you who may already be familiar with the tool from MoodleMoot 2019, we recently deployed a newer version which introduces new key features:

• Answer-specific feedback now supported for multiple choice, short answer, and true/false question types
  • Option to auto-generate the spreadsheet template
  • Updated reset spreadsheet feature
  • Updated user interface
You can find more detailed information on the tool and how to use it here.

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Lillian Hawasli

Re: (QB)², Free Moodle Question Creation Tool

by Lillian Hawasli -
Instructional videos on how to use (QB)² can be found here:
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Lillian,

I see that (QB)² supports the following question types:

• Multichoice (multichoice)
  • Short Answer (shortanswer)
  • True / False (truefalse)
  • Ordering (ordering)
  • PoodLL Recording (poodllrecording)
  • Essay (essay)
  • Matching (matching)
  • Cloze (cloze)
  • Drag & Drop into text (dragdrop, AKA ddwtos)
  • Missing Words (missingwords, AKA gapselect)
  • Description (description)

At first glance, it seems to me that the add-on, the documentation, the videos, i.e. the whole project is extremely well done.

I am sure that it will very useful to many instructors in the Moodle community.

Thank you so much for sharing (QB)².

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Lillian Hawasli -
Thanks for the awesome feedback! If you have any suggestions on how to make this even better, please let me know.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Lilian,

I tried to follow your How to set up tutorial but... when I try to install (QB)² I get this message:

Add-ons not available in the G Suite Marketplace
The developer of this add-on has not accepted the terms and conditions of the G Suite Marketplace
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Lillian Hawasli -

Hi Joseph,

It is possible if you are using a google account from an institution that the institution’s admin has disabled access to certain add-ons/plugins. Can you try to search for it using your personal google account and let me know if that works? Here is the direct link if it helps https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/qb²_question_bank_quick_builder/1057685094279

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm using my personal Google account.

by Lillian Hawasli -

Hmmm... where are you located? I wonder if it’s restricted to only US users. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I will look into resolving this as quickly as possible.

by Joseph Rézeau -
As you can see in my Moodle profile, I'm located in France. Thanks for your reply.

by Joseph Rézeau -
@Lillian,
Any progress on this issue?
Thanks,
Look after yourself, STAY AT HOME!

by Lillian Hawasli -

Hi Joseph,

We're still looking into this issue, I am having trouble finding anything that would help resolve this. I reached out to another developer that seemed to have the same issue, but still waiting on a response. I just created this ticket in the google issue tracker https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/152137923, so hopefully we will hear something back soon. I will keep you updated on any progress we make.

You stay safe and healthy too! I am staying home, I hope you are as well

Lillian

by Lillian Hawasli -
Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry I have yet to hear back from the other developer or Google. Although, Google did send an email yesterday saying to expect a delay in response regarding a number of their services.

I have not forgotten about your issue, continue to look into it.

by Lillian Hawasli -

Hi Joseph, 

I heard back from google https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/152137923. They state "There's no region restriction on that add-on, and if there were the user would not be able to install it. The only time the error message mentioned in #1 is shown is when the developer did not finish the migration from CWS to GSM, which is not the case for that add-on."

The only thing suggest is maybe clearing your browser's cache, and logging out of your google account and back in, and possibly trying this alternate url https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/appname/1057685094279

I hope that works for you.

Lillian

by Dominique BODIN -

Hello,
I was quite interested in (QB)², but I've tried everything above several times with Firefox and Chrome browsers without success.
Each time I got the same message error : App is blocked by Google, because it's trying to get some sensitives informations from my (personnal) Google account.

Thanks for any help,

Dominique BODIN

In reply to Dominique BODIN

by Lillian Hawasli -
Hi Dominique,

Yes, unfortunately we just became aware of this issue not too long ago. It seems to be that Google has an authorization bug that has yet to be resolved by them.

We are following the issues here:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/180436121
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/176138626
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/181220763#comment10

In the meantime we are attempting to find a workaround. It does seem like some people are still able to install using their university's gmail account. Personal accounts seem to be the biggest issue here. If you have another gmail account I suggest trying that for now.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and will keep you updated if/when this issue is resolved.

Lillian
In reply to Dominique BODIN

by Lillian Hawasli -
Hi Dominique,

Just a quick update, we are still working with google support to resolve the blocked issue. In the meantime, here is a workaround that will allow you to use a local version of the tool until we can get the live one back up and running. You can follow the instructions here https://humtech.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/IP/pages/17727502/QB+-+User+Documentation#Blocked-App%3F-Accessing-a-Local-Copy

Please let me know if you have any questions

Lillian

Odp: Re: (QB)², Free Moodle Question Creation Tool

by Mariusz Szymanski -

Hi!
A nice addition.
Is it possible to add photos to questions?

In reply to Mariusz Szymanski

Re: Odp: Re: (QB)², Free Moodle Question Creation Tool

by Lillian Hawasli -
Hi!

Unfortunately, it's not possible (for now at least). We are trying to keep the tool as simple as possible to use. What we have been doing though is adding text like "[MEDIA]" or some other indicator in the beginning of the questions that we want to add images or other media to. Once we import it into moodle, those questions are then easy to find and can be edited.

I hope this helps.

by Butbi Pham -

Thank you for sharing this tool. I find it very useful. I have installed the add-on for Google Sheet, try to use it, but the export failed. When I click on Export, I receive the message: "drive.google.com refused to connect."

Did I miss something?

Thank you for any hint.

In reply to Butbi Pham

by Lillian Hawasli -

Hi Butbi, 

I'm glad you find it useful. Im not sure why this would be happening, it seems like a settings issue. Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the tool. Maybe some step was missed when allowing the tool access upon installation. Let me know if this still does not work.

by Butbi Pham -

Thank you. It works now. I have logged-out of all my account, uninstalled and then re-installed the add-ons.

by Rob Frank -
This looks great. I'm testing it now. Did you test it with RTL languages? Thanks!
In reply to Rob Frank

by Lillian Hawasli -

Thanks Rob!

Yes it has been tested with Arabic, and it also supports other languages with non-western character sets, we have a Japanese course that heavily uses the tool as well and its been working great for them so far. Is there a specific language you're curious about?

by Fabrice Viale -

Hello, I have tried to send message to support@humtech.ucla.edu , but it seems that there is a server error.

Could you transfer my message to (QB)2 creator.

1) an error occurred during importing because of poodllrecording question. User should be alerted that not all versions of Moodle support this question type.

2) The Multiple Answers is probably the most used but it is not (with and without negative points).  The Multiple Answers option is used for multiple choice questions when two or more answers must be selected in order to obtain full credit.

What two people are entombed in Grant's tomb? {
       ~No one
       ~%50%Grant
       ~%50%Grant's wife
       ~Grant's father
    }

Do you confirm that QB2 is unable to include such a question?
If I am not mistaken, do you plan to include it soon?

Courage against the COVID.
Congrats for your hard work and software

by Rob Frank -
Thanks for the great tool. I see you’ve added guided question addition, and the ability to import from Moodle. Are there plans to add General Feedback, in addition to the current Answer specific feedback? Also, how does it handle randomizing answer choices. Is it automatically set as Shuffle choices upon import to Moodle?
Thanks